+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree651Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

I did too. I was very fortunate to get a fair amount of scholarships and grants. I also did Work Study. I borrowed a little, but ended up only borrowing $4,000.00 for my entire undergrad. Of course, that was many years ago. I don't know how available they are today.

Oh, another thing. Meri almost lost it when the idea of Mariah not having a new car when she left for college in Utah was mentioned. She said, "I'm not sending her there without a car." Well, if she's going to live on campus, she may not need a car, especially for the first year. It may be different now, but I recall when some colleges did not allow a freshman, who lived on campus, to have a vehicle there. The entitlement of Meri and Mariah is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-01-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    tinderbox likes this.

FORT Fogey

I wonder how the plural marriage situation affects how each child fills out the standard forms for financial assistance. It's been many years since I've done such a thing, but I know they used to ask questions about family income, how many people the income had to support etc. How would that work for the kids in these families? Do they look at the combined income of all the families, number of siblings etc. or only the amount of money that particular child's mother makes and the portion Cody contributes to that household? Or do they look at his entire income? All their siblings, both full and half, as members of the family or only those with whom they share an actual household? If they're looking at need-based scholarships or work study, again, how do they figure need? Based on what income figures? Come to think of it, how does a pluralistic marriage handle income taxes?

I should think it could get very messy for some of those kids when they apply for college, unless they emancipate themselves from the families altogether and have everything based on their own independent incomes.

I'll offer a stab at how they handle income for the kids' parents. I wonder if Kody uses the best way to get the kids qualified. I wonder if they list the address as their mother's. She is the one who completes the application. Then mother's income includes her child support from Kody for the other non adult kids. Kody has so many kids, that even with a large income, his child support obligation for each child must be quite small.

I found this. They will look at Kody's income, but he has so many kids. It's not going to account for much. He would have to be making LOTS of money.

financial aid advice for single parents - eCampusTours

Wow, I missed the new car comment! I went to UCLA for undergrad, they didn't allow cars for first and second year students. If someone had one, they had to pay as much to park it off campus as rooming fees were at the time. Obviously none of the Brown adults have had the "college experience"!

Yes, I went to a large university and parking was VERY limited. I lived on campus the first year and there was hardly any available parking. You had to park very far across campus only in certain lots. It made no sense to move your car during the week since walking to your class was as close as your car was. And it was easier to eat in the cafeteria, campus cafe or walk downtown to a restaurant. Moving the car and getting another spot upon your return was just too much trouble. I used the campus shuttle that was free and only moved my car when I came home for the weekends, but I only lived 2 hours away from home.

I can't remember why I was allowed to have a car on campus. I think it's because I transferred credit from a community college and may not have been considered a freshman. I'm not sure. It's been a long time ago.

Mariah should talk to some other students like herself and see how they are handling it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-01-2014 at 03:48 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'll offer a stab at how they handle income for the kids' parents. I wonder if Kody uses the best way to get the kids qualified. I wonder if they list the address as their mother's. She is the one who completes the application. Then mother's income includes her child support from Kody for the other non adult kids. Kody has so many kids, that even with a large income, his child support obligation for each child must be quite small.

I found this. They will look at Kody's income, but he has so many kids. It's not going to account for much. He would have to be making LOTS of money.

financial aid advice for single parents - eCampusTours
    Would it be considered child support for all the kids? Wouldn't Kody be legally married to whichever one of the wives he married first, so that that child's parental income might be considered differently?

I didn't have a car in college or in grad school, and I survived. In fact, I've yet to have a brand new car of my own, as I've always bought used. It's not that I couldn't get a new car, but it's just not as important to me to drive a brand new car as it is for me to save that money for other reasons (like a retirement account).

Oh, yeah, and at the major university where I went to grad school, you either paid a fortune for an on-campus parking spot or you had to deal with meters--and all the on-campus meters anywhere near a building where classes held were conveniently set to last no longer than forty minutes, when classes were fifty minutes long. Go figure that one out.

He is "legally" married to Meri. They will take into account her and his income. I am sure Mariah will have a hard time getting much financial aid because of the income from TLC to her mother.
    There's no place like home!

I'm an attorney and I know how to calculate child support for cases in my state. (Most states have a similar formula.) Kody's case is complicated. The older kids over 18 and graduated from high school come off as far as him being legally bound to support them. So, it would be calculated for the rest of them. For each subsequent child, Kody would get a credit for the support he is paying for the previous child.

In my state, it wouldn't matter if Kody was married for purposes of child support. Just that he is the father. Now, Mariah is or will soon be over 18 and graduated from high school, so she comes off from his legal obligation.

FORT Newbie

What's the matter with public transportation, cars are a luxury not a necessity. I did not own a car until I was thirty and I survived the hardship.
    dreamonia likes this.

He better hope all 4 wives don't get smart and leave his rear. He would be in jail as a dead beat dad because he couldn't afford the child support. I am sure he feels there is never a danger of that happening.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread