+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

FORT Fogey

Re: Sister Wives

This isn't a spoiler, it is out and in the news.
    momrek06 and AZChristian like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    This isn't a spoiler, it is out and in the news.

This is for the entire state, not just this family. Utah has declared the law, that exists now, unconstitutional. That law stated that polygamy was illegal. Since polygamist only marry one wife that really said that living together was illegal. And it is not.

I've never watched this show (might have seen an episode or two) because I can't stand the husband. And I really don't care much about polygamy one way or the other. Different strokes, not up to me to tell them how to live. Forgive me if this has been discussed here before, I don't follow the thread, but I just watched 5 episodes of Breaking Faith. These young women and men are escaping from the polygamous cult run by Warren Jeffs. It is so disturbing because the young women are so brain washed by the cult. They know they want to get away from the extreme restrictions put on their lives by Jeffs and the other prophets of the FLDS and they really have no idea why he is in prison for life. When told that he is in prison for raping young girls as young as 12 they deny it could be true. This is nothing like the Sister Wives family or the young Amish who leave home to try out life in the English world. These young women fully believe they will go to hell for becoming "apostate" and leaving the fold. The only reason they (ages 18 to 22) are not yet married off to old geezers wit 26 other wives is because Jeffs is in prison and only he can decide who marries whom. There may be a bit of culture shock for the Amish, but these young women might as well have been raised on Mars as far as their knowledge of how the rest of Americans (Gentiles) live. I'll be interested in watching the rest of the series to see if they can be de-programmed.
    GabbyG likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Different strokes, not up to me to tell them how to live.
    But if we're paying for their lifestyle through food stamps and their multiple bankruptcies, I sure think that gives us the right to express opinions about how they live. The Sister Wives folks are just grifters who struck it lucky with a TLC show. Even during the first season, one wife was using food stamps, and all 3 of the original wives and Kody have gone bankrupt. That means that you and I are paying higher prices for things because the stores were not paid for what they bought - and kept - and didn't pay for.

And poor, abused (according to what she says) Robyn left her first marriage with a lot of debts that she agreed to take on to "keep the peace." Yep, I'm sure her ex-husband charged up $1,200 at Victoria's Secret . . . but she agreed to take on that bill to "keep the peace." More likely she agreed to take on the bill so she could keep the underwear.

I do believe that if people are not taking public money for their weird lifestyle choices, they don't have to answer to anybody on earth about those choices. But when you start taking money out of MY pocket, it's a whole 'nuther story.
    Punkin likes this.

Ah, I see. I didn't know about the public funds that let them afford their lifestyle. Like I said, I don't watch 'cause I don't like them. But I wondered how that creepy husband could afford to support all those kids and wives.

I guess the Warren Jeffs cult does the same with all those trapped children and wives. They're in Arizona, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    And poor, abused (according to what she says) Robyn left her first marriage with a lot of debts that she agreed to take on to "keep the peace." Yep, I'm sure her ex-husband charged up $1,200 at Victoria's Secret . . . but she agreed to take on that bill to "keep the peace." More likely she agreed to take on the bill so she could keep the underwear.
    I paid hundreds of dollars in phone bills that my ex-husband racked up making long-distance calls to another woman to keep the peace (along with a whole bunch of other bills). Paid the entire cost of the divorce, too. It was worth it to keep him away from me. One of my closest friends walked away from her share of the family home for the same reason. Some husbands end up being that scary. I don't waste my time pitying reality stars but I sure can understand Robyn's position.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Browns have been very vocal about their opposition and outrage towards the groups like that of Warren Jeffs'. They want everyone to know they don't believe that way or practice polygamy that way. There were a couple of episodes last season and the one before where they tried to help some teens who had left a community like that.
    Punkin, Shoepie and Imperfect1 like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

AJane . . . in that type of scenario, you and your friend really WERE taking on those bills to keep the peace. My comment about Robyn was meant to be a bit snarky and sarcastic. She took on a Victoria's Secret bill . . . pretty sure that was her own expense from the get-go. In addition, every time they feature anything about her on the show, she appears to be a professional victim.

I am very sympathetic towards women who have had to do what you and your friend have done, and I'm really sorry you went through that.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

I have absolutely no idea what Robyn's situation was, but there have been women who've caught their cheating husbands, because they ran up charge card bills for lingerie, flowers, restaurants, hotels etc. for their mistresses, and that led to their divorces. I could see them paying the bills if that's what it took to get out of a lousy relationship. As I stated previously, that may not be the case with Robyn at all. I only mention it, because, in general, it is possible for the husband to be responsible for a Victoria's Secret bill.
    MsDiva2007 and Imperfect1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The Browns have been very vocal about their opposition and outrage towards the groups like that of Warren Jeffs'. They want everyone to know they don't believe that way or practice polygamy that way. There were a couple of episodes last season and the one before where they tried to help some teens who had left a community like that.
    Even though I don't condone polygamy, there is a world of difference between the Browns and Warren Jeffs' group.
    Punkin likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread