+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree628Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

I didn't watch My Five Wives. I live in Utah, so polygamists just aren't all that interesting to me (which is not to say that I don't care about all of the craziness that can happen and want to help/support those who are trying to leave difficult and abusive situations; I just don't care to see a reality show about it).

It's interesting, though, to see the comments people have made. In the newspaper article I think I remember the family saying that they wanted to show people how normal the are. Guess that didn't happen.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Meri used to be my favorite, but now I find her to be manipulative and self-pitying. She plays the victim so people will feel sorry for her and give her special treatment, then she cries because she feels "guilty," which is a way of getting what you want without taking responsibility for it. That's exactly what she did with Cody -- now it's his fault that she won't have another child, and she can continue to play the martyr. Judging from Mariah's pouting during the Christmas episode, it appears the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I agree. I was disappointed that when the other wives' houses were ready in time for Christmas and Meri's wasn't, Meri and her daugther acted like a spoiled sport. They could have used that opportunity to have let the others, who have children, enjoy the holiday and not feel guilty about it, but noooooooo, they have to act all hurt and cry and insists that Christmas be delayed until there situation is resolved. What happened to thinking of others? What about being a grownup? That's a situation where I would think the man of the house stood up and said, Enough of that. We are having Christmas on schedule and if Meri and Mariah want to join us, fine, and if not, that's fine too, but spirits will not be dampened by their immaturity.

I don't think that happened.

Then we have the other kids going to the cheaper, state school, while Mariah brags that even if her scholarship doesn't cover it all, she will still attend the pricy college, regardless of what her dad says. It's like she flaunting that she'll get what she wants, regardless. Does she have a secret rich aunt who's going to take care of it? Hmmm.....I took it to mean that her dad will take money that the other college age kids need for there education and apply it to hers. Like she's more important or something. Honestly.....I'll stop here.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I agree. I was disappointed that when the other wives' houses were ready in time for Christmas and Meri's wasn't, Meri and her daugther acted like a spoiled sport. They could have used that opportunity to have let the others, who have children, enjoy the holiday and not feel guilty about it, but noooooooo, they have to act all hurt and cry and insists that Christmas be delayed until there situation is resolved. What happened to thinking of others? What about being a grownup? That's a situation where I would think the man of the house stood up and said, Enough of that. We are having Christmas on schedule and if Meri and Mariah want to join us, fine, and if not, that's fine too, but spirits will not be dampened by their immaturity.

I don't think that happened.

Then we have the other kids going to the cheaper, state school, while Mariah brags that even if her scholarship doesn't cover it all, she will still attend the pricy college, regardless of what her dad says. It's like she flaunting that she'll get what she wants, regardless. Does she have a secret rich aunt who's going to take care of it? Hmmm.....I took it to mean that her dad will take money that the other college age kids need for there education and apply it to hers. Like she's more important or something. Honestly.....I'll stop here.
    I agree with every word. I think Mariah may have a grandmother/relative in the picture when it comes to her schooling. There is NO way that she would get special attention with Janelle watching the books.

Yeah, maybe a rich grandma or aunt. That's fine, but to flaunt it so the other kids hear, is just bratty, IMO. For all her faults, most of her siblings still seem to love her lots though.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Mariah also got a European trip after high school graduation; none of the other kids did. Something screams "unfair"; especially if each wife gets the same share of the pie, in spite of the disparity in the number of children.

If the trip and college is being paid for by Meri's family, I do not think anyone can complain.
    There's no place like home!

The other kids don't "have" to go to public school either. For undergrad I went to private school because the grant packages they offered lowered the price to well below what I would have had to pay at public school. On top of that I would be surprised if these kids didn't qualify for federal grants and loans. On paperwork all these kids other than Meri's are from single parent households. If Mariah has the opportunity through family to do different stuff good for her.

Regardless of the benefits and extra money that Mariah might get from Meri's family, and this is only speculation, because I don't know of any, bragging that you will get what you want, in spite of what your dad says, is just mean sprited.

I recall when Janelle and Kody's oldest son discussed his college pick. Finances were a big factor for him and he ended up at the state school.

I know that for undergrade I got grants, scholarships and a couple of loans. I also did work study. It paid almost all of my costs, though, I'm not sure how much you can get today from those resources. I do think they would go further at a less expensive school.

I couldn't get boo diddly in undergraduate from a state school for grants, work study and scholarships. Private schools were more than generous in those regards universally for me. Other than loans I didn't qualify for any government programs to pay for school so it wasn't matter of which the money would go further at but which school offered me the better package and the state schools just couldn't offer me anything. Whereas I was looking at a full ride at private school. And definitely couldn't get any thing for grad school.

I'll agree that bragging sucks but then again I see it in the context of her generation of people. In my experience that is how her peers behave, especially behind closed doors and we all can agree this is not a functional family on top of this as well.

But also I'm from a generation too here where these kids are turning 18. Regardless of parental income and finances they are adults. Pay for college is their responsibility. It is also their choice. If they want to examine what packages a private school could give them more power to them. If thye want to utilize their other family great. If they want to run up debt that is their choice too. But really once they're adults it's not up to the parents where these kids go to school it's up to these kids.

I also find it disturbing and hypocritical that this family (and I use the term loosely) will have a to do about where these kids are going to school but run up debt and otherwise throw away money on various frivolous things. I can't take them very seriously about this college thing when they can't manage their money in general.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread