+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

I take it that wife #4's childrens' father is not in their lives at all?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4076751;
    We have friends who are in their third marriages. It's not at all uncommon. We are attending a wedding next week (the groom's 4th wedding). I don't see much of a difference there, except that serial marriages divide families permanently. I bet Kody & Co. don't even expect their friends to attend their weddings, and I bet they are not registered at Nordstrom's.
    Speaking as someone who managed to make a mistake, not once, but twice, I get it that multiple marriages can be an issue. But I wish you said it with a bit less snark. Most people who do divorce more than once, let alone those who divorce for the first time, don't do it easily.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I still have a familial relationship with my first ex husband and his family. It's a bit more distant, but truthfully, he never lost his place in my family. We all attended his mothers funeral, and I would have been more than happy to do so for his brother's, had his mom not said it was "family only."

I probably will never marry again, but I do hope, if I ever feel the strong desire to cement my relationship with someone, that my family and friends will be supportive. I know I'll be a panicked mess, so I'll hope they can reassure me.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4076751;
    I think these women would tell you that this is their calling, and that it does not compare (in any way) to traditional marriage. They are all in relationship with each other. What we seem to find most shocking is that they prefer this kind of marriage to the kind we have. Or to the serial kind of marriage that's totally acceptable in our society (i.e. people who marry, divorce, remarry - some over and over again).

We have friends who are in their third marriages. It's not at all uncommon. We are attending a wedding next week (the groom's 4th wedding). I don't see much of a difference there, except that serial marriages divide families permanently. I bet Kody & Co. don't even expect their friends to attend their weddings, and I bet they are not registered at Nordstrom's.
    my crazy ex husband...I was wife #3 but thought I was #2 until I found out different after we were married...is getting married again this coming weekend..he is on #11
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;4077036;
    my crazy ex husband...I was wife #3 but thought I was #2 until I found out different after we were married...is getting married again this coming weekend..he is on #11
    Well give him points for never giving up!

Could you imagine if he married them all and they lived together in plural marriage? You would get the honor of being one of 11!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;4077036;
    You know what's funny about that? My dad did something similar. He was married to my mom for 23 years, but after that he went though 3 wives in VERY quick succession. First two after mom: Joyce Ann, with 3 sons and a daughter, and Joyce Ann, with three daughters and a son. We never met wife #4. About 10 years later, when he was coming to see us after a very long absence, he brought a woman we were told was his new wife... She thought she was wife #3, and she wondered if my mom (who'd divorced him almost 15 years before) would think she was the reason for their divorce. Wisely, we didn't comment.

We eventually found out that they lived together but never married, as it would have stopped her from receiving her husband's pension. She was adamant that they never married. They actually stayed together for almost 15 years, before the fact that they were both horrible in relationships pushed them apart. In her defense, I will say that she was amazingly kind to my dad when he passed away, even though they'd been apart for over a year. She was at the funeral (as was my mom) and we were all treating her like his widow. She is a nice woman (just a bit off...).

btw, I really suspect my dad's example is part of the reason I wasn't successful in my marriage. I never learned how to be with someone. I'm working on that pretty seriously these days, but if you are lucky enough to have two parents who truly love each other and you, count your blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4077045;
    Well give him points for never giving up!

Could you imagine if he married them all and they lived together in plural marriage? You would get the honor of being one of 11!
    NOT ME...I know the man...lol...the 11 wives is nothing..it doesn't count all the side pieces he always had to have...in the 20 yrs i have known him he has never been faithful to anyone and I expect this next one will be no different and it doesn't count the ones that he have lived with briefly before moving on to the next...I actually feel sorry for this girl..but since his first 3 wives which i am one of are the only ones to have children with him i stay out of his personal life...makes it much easier to co parent...but i told him several years ago...we both know what a man ho you are..don't get married again...lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4076855;
    These 'wives' don't seem to know what they want. First they say wife #1 wanted Kody to approach Robyn and start 'courting' but then she says she has jealousy issues. The other two wives basically agreed about having another sister wife in the fold but then complain and cry about Kody not spending enough time with them.
    What bothered me was that wife #4 has a son with Aspbergers (autisim). My friend has a son with Aspbergers and he needs alot of attention. It seemed to me that the mother cared more about Kody and getting herself set up in this new life and family. Some of these kids are going to be messed up by this lifestyle.
    I think you summed them all up with those words. I can't believe that any of them are putting what's best for their kids before their own selfish desires. Kody wants what Kody wants and thank goodness, he found a religion that allows it. I think we can be positively sure that some of these kids are going to be messed up.

FORT Fogey

I take it that wife #4's childrens' father is not in their lives at all?
    There have been no details provided about the 4th wife's previous marriage/husband. She did say that she'd spent the last few years creating a safe environment for her kids, so maybe there are issues with the former husband. She's moved these kids out of state to live in a polygamous relationship, apparently without objection from the kids' father. No custody issues, legal challenge? Would a family court judge approve? She claims to have been raised in a polygamous family, but was not in a polygamous marriage with the father of her children.

In addition to Kody's sales job, he's also created an entertainment business, listed with his home address: Kody Brown Fmly Entertainment, Lehi, UT Today, Sister Wives. Tomorrow, Real Housewives of Levi!
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 10-05-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barbh;4076999;
    Speaking as someone who managed to make a mistake, not once, but twice, I get it that multiple marriages can be an issue. But I wish you said it with a bit less snark. Most people who do divorce more than once, let alone those who divorce for the first time, don't do it easily.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I still have a familial relationship with my first ex husband and his family. It's a bit more distant, but truthfully, he never lost his place in my family. We all attended his mothers funeral, and I would have been more than happy to do so for his brother's, had his mom not said it was "family only."

I probably will never marry again, but I do hope, if I ever feel the strong desire to cement my relationship with someone, that my family and friends will be supportive. I know I'll be a panicked mess, so I'll hope they can reassure me.
    Barbh - I'm sorry if the tone of my post seemed snarky - I only meant to point out the irony, not to ridicule.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4077235;
    Barbh - I'm sorry if the tone of my post seemed snarky - I only meant to point out the irony, not to ridicule.
    I completely understand the irony. As I said, I had a dad who did the same. and I'm sure you didn't mean to hurt anyone. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread