+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

I now find Meri impossible to like. Her constant crying is ridiculous. I've said it once and I'll say it again...she doesn't want a child or she would know she wanted one. She plays games. She also has no need to have five bedrooms in her home, why do that to the family if the houses could be more affordable? These nutbags seem to be building dream houses, and I can't figure out where they get the money. Does TLC really pay them that well? I can't imagine they will make much from their website selling that jewelry. I can't imagine too many people being interested enough to buy the stuff.

They aren't really a family, as has already been stated by many here. In the very beginning of the show, they seemed to be totally different people. It makes me wonder how much having cameras come in really does alter people's behaviors.

I do feel some sympathy for the two middle wives. They are not happy women. It hurts to think of them feeling stuck in a situation they'd be better out of, but perhaps feel the need to stay in. I hope eventually they are able to carve out happy lives for themselves one way or the other. It won't happen if they keep having Grody's kids, though. He really only seems interested physically in Robin but seems to have a deep attachment to Meri. And that one thinks she is the queen.

What a mess! Better them than me.
    gadmus126 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Playing devil's advocate here for a minute. I believe the lots they bought were contingent on the size house they are building. Planned communities have regulations and I do not think that one of the 4 houses could be smaller. They are leaving that out for drama. The budget is another topic and I agree that Christine should not have to hand over some of her budget to Meri. These women have to be thinking of resale value. Deep in their hearts they know this plural marriage has an experation date. They really have to know that. Janelle has one foot out and always has.

I find myself liking Christine more and more. She is getting and expressing the strain of this situation. Janelle reins supreme with viewers because she is not attached and not part of the drama. Confident business woman, she knows she will be fine no matter what happens. She is NOT besotted with Kody.

I do not get Robin at all. I don't like her much. She is never in any controversy but that is not necessarily a compelling trait. I think it is a calculated position.

Shave your head Kody. Just do it. Or at least give up the quasi Beatles do.
    nennie, elleprn and AZChristian like this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I like the Browns. None of them are perfect, but none of them seem to be malicious or 'bad people' either --- unlike many other people that we are now exposed to on so many of the other reality tv shows. Their kids all seem to be terrific, so they must be doing something right. Gosh, we get so nit-picky! I'm just very pleased that they ARE on tv and that I get to see what it's like to live in a world that I was completely unfamiliar with. And by the way, in comparison with most of the other polygamous (cult) families we've all heard about, I think the Browns are conducting their lives nicely --- they're trying to follow their faith, take care of their needs, raise their children to be good people, have a nice life, and not hurt anyone else by doing so.

Impect1, I felt like you did the first couple of seasons of Sister Wives, but over time, I have changed my impression. I liked all of them, except for Robyn and I have even come around on her a little.

I actually liked Kody when most posters tore him to shreads. I would defend him, because I had a good impression of him. I thought they had a very interesting story that the world should know about. That was what I saw in the beginning. What really changed my opinon, was how I saw him and Meri act in the end of last season. That and the finale last season, really surprised me. It turned me off as I saw cruelty from them and I don't like that in a person.

I'm not above giving people a second chance. We all make mistakes, but I'm not sure you can erase some of the negative images.

I also have seen a sense of entitlement in them that I had not seen before. Maybe their finances are not as dire as they pretend. If that's the case, then I wish they would just come clean with it. Don't poor mouth to the world and then act like you have this high dollar taste that has to be accomodated. People who are really broke like they claim, don't sit around, whining about luxaries in their 5 bedroom house that is under construction. It's just too far out of reality for me to relate. If they would show them actually working, it might not tick me off so much.

If they make plenty of money from TLC, then acknowledge it or create some job that makes it look like you are earning money. The Sister Wives Closet doesn't come close to being a money maker. They will have to do better than that.
    Shoepie likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I don't disagree with you Deb, and it's true that they're far from perfect. I just think almost all of us have aspects that are not the best, so in comparison, their flaws don't bother me. When I see some of these other people on reality tv, I am really horrified. Hateful, malicious, spiteful, mean-spirited people! The Browns aren't like that --- but it's true, that they're not angels either.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

When I see some of these other people on reality tv, I am really horrified. Hateful, malicious, spiteful, mean-spirited people! The Browns aren't like that ---
    In the opinion of a lot of people (including me), Meri sure does a good impersonation of a person who IS all of those things.
    elleprn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    In the opinion of a lot of people (including me), Meri sure does a good impersonation of a person who IS all of those things.
    I agree, only she is much more subtle about it than some of the other women on the housewives shows, etc. It's not as obviously a diva attitude as some of the others. She's sort of sneaky about it.

I feel like these people really did change over the course of the show. I was surprised in the beginning to actually like them and have sympathy for them. Especially Meri, who originally came off as a very likable person. They all seemed more invested in being a "real family" in the earlier shows. But with the passage of time (and more camera time) Kody's ego seemed to swell, and Meri now comes across to me in a negative light. I never liked Robin very much although I can't say why, and I still don't. I feel maybe she has aligned herself with Meri deliberately because Meri sort of rules the roost. I do still find myself liking Christine and Janelle, even though I wonder sometimes at the choices they made in joining this family. I think the kids seem to be good kids.

I would never judge their lifestyles, as I think we all have the right to live as we choose. At the same time, it seems kind of crazy to me. I couldn't live the way they do, but I found it interesting in the beginning to view a slice of life from totally different perspectives. I wouldn't sit here and say they are "bad people" either. I don't think they are. You have to be realistic though, and if you put your life out there on camera for all to see, you should/can expect some criticism and comments.

Maybe I am remembering something that never happened, but I seem to recall in the early days that they wanted to be even closer as a family than they were. Did I not hear them mention that their preference would be to all live together? Does anybody else remember this? It makes more sense to me from a personal standpoint that each woman would want her own house, but that isn't the way I felt they represented themselves in the beginning. Now I see that these women could never, ever peacefully and successfully co-exist under the same roof. I think that's mainly because of Meri; Janelle strikes me as being very independent though more soft-hearted than I would have guessed. Watching them being interviewed, I get this feeling that Meri was probably very hard on Janelle. There seems to be very little liking between the two. It also seems pretty clear to me that Kody has favorites, and he and Janelle seem almost like strangers.

Such are only my personal observations and/or opinions. They aren't judgments, and I'm not God. It sure is fun to have a place to come to talk about these shows we get so addicted to!
    Kanga likes this.

my only issue with Meri is the size of the home she wants for essentially herself and a one day in home hubby. I have no issue with the family either other than how they plan to pay all those mortgages with no income other than this show I don't see any problems that concern me. The money issue is something alot of people have trying to live above their means.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't believe the wives ever said they didn't want to live under one roof. It's not feasible in their new circumstances. I agree with what Shoepie said - you can only build a certain kind of house in that kind of new-home development and I doubt that a multi-family home to accomodate their unusual lifestyle is in any developer's plans. Plus, as an investment - and only a fool builds or buys a house without keeping in mind resale value - a massive house with separate apartments is something you will never get your money back on. (And as to the non-financial side - I left home early and I had many roommates of both sexes, and based on my experiences, I'd rather share a husband than ever live with another woman again, let alone three others. But that's just me. )

And I have no sympathy for any of the wives who may be unhappy. If they don't like it, they can leave. It's not Warren Jeffs' FLDS community, they aren't hostages to their lifestyle. Obviously, they feel there is value to their lives as polygamists, but what I think is that they are committed to the family as one large unit. I mean, look at Meri - she is mother to only one of the children, and it's a child who is nearly grown. Now consider what she gets out of remaining in the family - she helps raise 16 other children, shares her spouse's time with three others, and works at a family-owned business venture. If the only bonus she gets out of this is a wet bar, then I'd say she's earned it. The only thing that could possibly keeping her there is devotion to the family. (I'm not going to speculate about how they're actually financing all of this, because there's clearly a lot going on we're not privy to. Somehow they got the money and somehow they pay their bills. )
    causingchaos and Imperfect1 like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Impect1, I felt like you did the first couple of seasons of Sister Wives, but over time, I have changed my impression. I liked all of them, except for Robyn and I have even come around on her a little.

I actually liked Kody when most posters tore him to shreads. I would defend him, because I had a good impression of him. I thought they had a very interesting story that the world should know about. That was what I saw in the beginning. What really changed my opinon, was how I saw him and Meri act in the end of last season. That and the finale last season, really surprised me. It turned me off as I saw cruelty from them and I don't like that in a person.

I'm not above giving people a second chance. We all make mistakes, but I'm not sure you can erase some of the negative images.

I also have seen a sense of entitlement in them that I had not seen before. Maybe their finances are not as dire as they pretend. If that's the case, then I wish they would just come clean with it. Don't poor mouth to the world and then act like you have this high dollar taste that has to be accomodated. People who are really broke like they claim, don't sit around, whining about luxaries in their 5 bedroom house that is under construction. It's just too far out of reality for me to relate. If they would show them actually working, it might not tick me off so much.

If they make plenty of money from TLC, then acknowledge it or create some job that makes it look like you are earning money. The Sister Wives Closet doesn't come close to being a money maker. They will have to do better than that
    I am tired of all the discussion about money, as well. I have 2 friends who constantly talk about not having enough money. In both cases, they are fine financially. For some reason they feel the need for others to see them as struggling. I don't get it.

The Browns income has to be substantial to buy 4 large homes, has to be! Enough of the whining people. And they have one child in college, good cars and enough stuff to run 4 households.

Oh, and Robin gets her credit score fixed. Yuh, sure.

+ Reply to Thread