+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

  1. #1241
    FORT Fogey tinderbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I think Mary is getting an unfair rap in regard to the size/value of each house. It's not only about who needs more bedrooms. First of all, Mary does have personal money that she can use for her "over budget" portion. In all fairness to her, for all the many years prior to their moving to Las Vegas, Mary worked full time. In fact, Mary and Janelle were the only two wives who had jobs. Christine stayed at home and watched the kids, and I don't think that Robin worked either (not to mention the fact that Robin had a ton of debt). Mary always contributed most of her earnings to the family. Equally important is the fact that because Mary only has one child, her expenses have always been LOWER than the other wives' expenses, BUT in spite of the fact that her expenses were considerably lower than everyone elses, she still always CONTRIBUTED most of her money to the family's shared account. In fact, on several occasions, she and Kody have mentioned that. So in my mind, she has earned the right to have a house that is equal in size to the other wives.
    Bolding mine...

    Being "equal" isn't necessarily "fair" in this instance.

    In a family with a ton of kids that is struggling financially, or so they say, why would you need a home with five bedrooms, a wet bar, french doors, etc, when you have one child and she will be going off to college within the year...just to feel equal? I'm not saying Meri should live in a bare bones one bedroom home. Not at all! However, her decisions/choices have shown her true character, imo. The additional expense to the family is just not practical or necessary....especially when, of all the wives, she was the only one going over the budget when there's no real need for the additional space/rooms/extras.

  2. #1242
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,409

    Re: Sister Wives

    I've considered the argument in support of Meri and while I appreciate the fact that she has her supporters, I just don't agree. I still think she was greedy and inconsiderate with her demands. And if Meri worked years ago before Vegas and earned money then, that was then. At this point in their lives, they say they are barely getting by. Recall how Janelle said when they moved to Vegas that she was worried where they would get the funds for basics like groceries. So maybe it's not fair for a single person to not have a 5 bedroom house or wet bar, but life isn't fair. Sometimes you have to get what you need and not what you want. That's my take on it.

    IMO, when you chose to have a lifestyle of that many wives and kids, then you forfeit your right to be a diva. Sorry Meri. You just aren't likable to me anymore.
    MsDiva2007, Kanga and sparklete like this.

  3. #1243
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Sister Wives

    There is discord to a point of what they present on this show and who they present themselves to be in the book. With this house thing of Meri's while I can't fathom why these people who are struggling financially are buying houses like this (people not just person) and I can't figure out people who don't drink need a wet bar I really don't see this a family who is struggling. I see this as a bunch of people who literally have no comprehension other than Janelle, how money works. That includes Meri. They really don't do a family budget. On the show they look like a big family with a big bucket of communal money etc. But after reading the book I realize that these are just a bunch of women who Kody beds down with on a rotation basically. They don't really get a long, they don't share finances, Meri admits to not really being into the same foods when they grocery shop. This really isn't a family. This is kind of a messed up and dysfunctional version of polyamory.

    Meri is obviously not happy in this kind of situation. Janelle and Christine are obviously not happy. Robin is happy from what I can tell. Meri's desire for this house fits right into her complete lack of understanding of how money works. She did work a steady job at one point. But in her early years of marriage she was pretty much flippant about money (which drove Janelle batty from what I could tell in the book). This is her natural state of being in the money thing.

    And really since they are essentially living single lives instead of a true poly family life which is heavily enmeshed (other than sharing a baby daddy their lives are not enmeshed at all) the way I figure who cares if Meri gets a big house. Their finances are for the most part separate. If she wants higher end stuff in her house with her money (because again they don't pool their money) great. She doesn't have all the kids to support. The other's do. Not her. And that's how they live their lives according to the book. Very separate lives.
    elleprn likes this.

  4. #1244
    FORT Fanatic provenceguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    544

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    There is discord to a point of what they present on this show and who they present themselves to be in the book. With this house thing of Meri's while I can't fathom why these people who are struggling financially are buying houses like this (people not just person) and I can't figure out people who don't drink need a wet bar I really don't see this a family who is struggling. I see this as a bunch of people who literally have no comprehension other than Janelle, how money works. That includes Meri. They really don't do a family budget. On the show they look like a big family with a big bucket of communal money etc. But after reading the book I realize that these are just a bunch of women who Kody beds down with on a rotation basically. They don't really get a long, they don't share finances, Meri admits to not really being into the same foods when they grocery shop. This really isn't a family. This is kind of a messed up and dysfunctional version of polyamory.

    Meri is obviously not happy in this kind of situation. Janelle and Christine are obviously not happy. Robin is happy from what I can tell. Meri's desire for this house fits right into her complete lack of understanding of how money works. She did work a steady job at one point. But in her early years of marriage she was pretty much flippant about money (which drove Janelle batty from what I could tell in the book). This is her natural state of being in the money thing.

    And really since they are essentially living single lives instead of a true poly family life which is heavily enmeshed (other than sharing a baby daddy their lives are not enmeshed at all) the way I figure who cares if Meri gets a big house. Their finances are for the most part separate. If she wants higher end stuff in her house with her money (because again they don't pool their money) great. She doesn't have all the kids to support. The other's do. Not her. And that's how they live their lives according to the book. Very separate lives.
    Not that I'm siding with Meri, but remember when she lost her dream job after it became known, via the first season of the show, that she was involved in polygamy? She was very sad to have lost her job at that time.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

  5. #1245
    FORT Fogey PA Snow Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,056

    Re: Sister Wives

    Okay I will freely admit I do not watch this show but surfing past I did see maybe 2 minutes with the son getting ready to go to college. Kody mentioned that while he would not approve of his son having sex without the benefit of marriage he couldn't stop it (I guess what happens in Vegas) BUT now this is where I take issue. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it against the law of Nevada, Utah & the other 48 states to have more than 1 spouse at a time so isn't Kody going against his own words since he is only legally married to his 1st wife.

    Again I ask....why is this on TV?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

  6. #1246
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by provenceguy View Post
    Not that I'm siding with Meri, but remember when she lost her dream job after it became known, via the first season of the show, that she was involved in polygamy? She was very sad to have lost her job at that time.
    NO, Meri lost her job when the Browns decided to to the REALITY SHOW. Meri and the family were on Oprah and she stated that herself that she was at that job for yearssssss and when the Browns were offered the TLC show, her employers, while LOVED her and her work, they just did not want any publicity that may have come with Meri doing the show. It was then that Meri left the job. NOT for polygamy.

    BUT I THINK THAT IT THE PROBLEM WITH MERI and I have posted it before. She is needs a full time job doing something that she loves to keep herself busy. All this baby talk ONLY came about when she found herself out of work and home all the time with Christine and Robyn pregnant and having babies. If having babies was a HUGE priority for Meri, why on earth did she not do something about it when Mariah was a child??? No Meri is bored.
    KAREN

  7. #1247
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,409

    Re: Sister Wives

    REf. the question above about Kody being married. I"m not an attorney in Nevada, but, I have heard Kody say that they don't prosecute people in that state for doing what they are doing. In Utah, it's still considered polygamy to hold yourself out as husband and wife to more than one person, even if you are not technically married to them.

    Kody is only legally married to Meri. He is married to the others in a spiritual ceremony. So in their minds, he is not living in sin because he is only having sex with his wives.

    As to why they are on tv....well, a lot of things are now. Yesterday I saw a show about a guy who has sex with his car, a woman who eats drywall and girl who drinks gasoline to comfort her. I'm NOT kidding.

  8. #1248
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,318

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Bolding mine...

    Being "equal" isn't necessarily "fair" in this instance.

    In a family with a ton of kids that is struggling financially, or so they say, why would you need a home with five bedrooms, a wet bar, french doors, etc, when you have one child and she will be going off to college within the year...just to feel equal? I'm not saying Meri should live in a bare bones one bedroom home. Not at all! However, her decisions/choices have shown her true character, imo. The additional expense to the family is just not practical or necessary....especially when, of all the wives, she was the only one going over the budget when there's no real need for the additional space/rooms/extras.
    And her true feeling about the family, imo. In our family, it doesn't matter who makes more money or spends more, etc. It is about a family - it is not mine or his. Meri's attitude is a great way to further breed discord and disharmony.

  9. #1249
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,318

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Okay I will freely admit I do not watch this show but surfing past I did see maybe 2 minutes with the son getting ready to go to college. Kody mentioned that while he would not approve of his son having sex without the benefit of marriage he couldn't stop it (I guess what happens in Vegas) BUT now this is where I take issue. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it against the law of Nevada, Utah & the other 48 states to have more than 1 spouse at a time so isn't Kody going against his own words since he is only legally married to his 1st wife.

    Again I ask....why is this on TV?
    You are talking about two separate things. Yes, under the laws of Nevada it is illegal to have more than one wife. But Kody is not talking about legal rules when he is talking about his son have sex outside of marriage. He is talking about religious beliefs. And their religious belief is that a man should take multiple wives. So the two are actually completely consistent, at least in religious theory.

  10. #1250
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: Sister Wives

    As far as them all being married or whatever….

    Robyn (for instance) still uses her maiden name, Sullivan for everything legal. Going through the financials with her securing a mortgage for her new home she used Sullivan.

    If you go on their website for their jewelry, anything that Robyn has made it states 'made by Robyn Brown'.



    As far as the homes go with the ladies, yes they can do anything they want. Whatever the cost, stay in your budget or not BUT my opinion is that Meri is just simply being ridiculous to be the ONLY ONE to go over budget when by the time they have her home built, Mariah, will be on the doorsteps of high school graduation and off to college; and Meri has the need for a FIVE bedroom home. (Something she has NEVER had even when Mariah was a child). And wet bars and craft rooms. All the other ladies all have children and LOTS of them living at home and NONE of them went over budget AND got everything they wanted for their new homes.

    As far as Robyn being similiar to Meri with just ONE BROWN child … give that time. She will be having more and more with Grody.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.