+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree623Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

I watched last night. How sad for those young people escaping the cult! I feel pretty negatively about polygamy; still, I agree with the Browns' comments that there's no fair comparison between their family and how Kolleen and the others were raised. And all the Browns, adults and youth alike, did a great job of handling the attitudes and preconceived notions thrown at them in that episode. One thing that really struck me, near the end, was how intense the reactions were to seeing their girls in those "fundi" dresses and hairstyles.
    About Meri and her house - do any of you think she's playing a villian role, with some coaxing from the crew (like they do on the Real Housewives shows) to add some spice to their story lines? I want to believe that's the case, that she's not that adamant about wet bars and pocket doors and such in real life, considering their situation. But may be wishful thinking on my part.
    remember to play

I don't understand why anyone in that religion needs wet bars. For goodness sakes they're not even supposed to drink caffeine let alone alcohol. I am having trouble getting beyond that fact with Meri's thing here. Although Janelle admits to using caffeine so maybe they pick and choose which parts of their fundamentalism to adhere to. I kind of get the feeling that Meri wants to stay relevant in the family now that her child is growing up. She freely admits to a rocky relationship with Kody. I can say without having a solid relationship with your partner in these things it starts to come out in weird ways like this house situation. I remember I had a partner once who I didn't feel solid with. So he went and bought his other girlfriend diamond earrings or something and I was SO mad. I hate diamonds and all of a sudden I HAD to have some. I didn't want them. I certainly didn't need them. I didn't like them. And all of a sudden I had this uncontrollable desire to have them just because the other girl had them. I wanted to stay relevant to him. And that manifested in those diamonds. Having had pocket doors at one time I would never with them on anyone. Give me a real door any day. Meri seems to have a really passive aggressive streak in her when it comes to getting attention etc. Her desire for these things fits right in with who she admits to being in the book.

Anyhow, from the book it appears from the get go that this was a family full of people who couldn't figure out the working=money to live thing. Or how to live within one's means. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that this trend just continues on.

They also seemed to live very separate lives which I don't think is depicted well on the show. The show depicts them as one big happy family while the book depicts them as a bunch of single mothers who don't really get along with each other and a guy who floats between them.

Am I the only one who thinks Robyn is pregnant again?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised, but if she was, then the offer to Meri couldn't have been sincere - unless Meri turned her down flat at some point that either wasn't on camera or hasn't been aired yet.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I think her offer was sincere there are only two things Meri knows straight off she wants a Wetbar and no sliding glass doors. The baby she hems and haws about without giving a direct answer.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Anyhow, from the book it appears from the get go that this was a family full of people who couldn't figure out the working=money to live thing. Or how to live within one's means. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that this trend just continues on.
    Sadly, only Janelle seems to understand this very complex equation.

I can't help but look at Janelle's kids and praise her for doing such an incredible job. Sure, Christine played a huge role in providing daycare but Janelle has worked full-time without a true 24-7 partner to help her through life and managed to produce some of the most well-rounded kids in the group! Seriously, Logan seems like a superstar (a teenager that gets up early every morning to cook his family breakfast--for real?!) and the oldest daughter seems well-adjusted and has her own opinions. I also find it interesting that Janelle's two oldest kids respect others and their choices but have publically announced that this lifestyle is not for them...that can't be an easy thing to declare to your family, particularly when you are filming a tv show about POLYGAMY.

I've touched on Meri before at length (probably more than Grody now that Robyns around) so I won't 'mount' my rant box again...besides, Meri will continue to parade her selfishness to such an extent that all I'll need to mention are some keywords and everyone can watch this pathetic drama play out without further analysis: french doors, wet bar, 5 bedrooms, I want, what budget?

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    I've touched on Meri before at length (probably more than Grody now that Robyns around) . . .
    Now THAT is funny.

Mindy, you are so right on!

I actually was stunned at Christine's comment, "who knew men could be be such Bastards"
    Really? what planet do you live on? you are out in the real world right? Not on some compound. And its not just men that can be real bastards BTW Christine, it is not a gender issue. Sounds like some of the 27 moms of the kids interviewed were not winners either.
    She always seems to surprise me at how sheltered she really comes off to be, she is afraid that the trip to help youth is a bad idea, someone is going to "steal" her kids.
    She always thins anything main stream is a bad idea. UMM you are living main stream right? you can't have it both ways.

Janelle is by far my favorite. She is smart, educated and raising nice kids. Christine alludes to the fact that the families are drifting apart. I will guess (Janelle seems to be one NOT complaining about this) that she is able to become the parent she wants to be.

I was impressed by the Brown kids that went to help paint and their invitation to come see the Brown family. I don't think it will change any of the kids that left minds that they want the lifestyle, but i do think it helped them see that it does not have to be like what they came from. I guess that is the whole point of the show. We may not want to live the lifestyle, we watch because this is one train wreck of a family, but all in all it shines a light on a different kind of family.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I don't think so yet. She is still heavy from having her son.

FORT Fogey

Janelle is my favorite, too. I don't think she was ever in love with Kody and may be the first one to leave the group. Kody and Meri knew her as a friend and they all wanted the plural lifestyle. It was a decision made with the head rather than the heart.

I am looking forward to next weeks show and Meri insisting on French Doors.

+ Reply to Thread