+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

FORT Fogey

Re: Sister Wives

Does anyone know what they believe would happen to them, as far as religion goes, if one of them left or Meri actually divorced Kody?

When the show first started, I found Meri somewhat likable, but now I don't. I don't know if that is because I believe these reality shows change people or if it was always there under the surface, that bit of nastiness.

She is so selfish. Why would she need a 5 bedroom home? I agree with others who have said they should either build one big home and share it, or the sizes of homes should depend on how many people have to live in them. It does not make sense on any level that this woman needs a house that large. She is acting like a spoilt child.

Meri doesn't want another baby, not really. If she did, there wouldn't BE a question or an issue. She would know. I guess Grody (love it!) isn't smart enough to realize this, or just doesn't care. He thinks he's some kind of a stud, and if I had to even be touched by him I would vomit.

I hate to come off as being judgmental, but I could never really understand a religion that promotes a man having multiple wives. It's just BS to me.

The only people I have any sympathy for here are the kids, of course.

None of these women seem happy to me, except possibly Robyn, at times.

Have to agree that Meri was likeable but I believe her true colors have shown. I don't think it has anything to do with what is fair or equal... It has to do with common sense... If you have 5-6 kids then you need a bigger home. You have 1 kid who is about to be going to college, then smaller home. I find it selfish and am surprised that an adult would act that way, but then she married Kody so that answers some things. I believe this whole baby decision waiting game is all a ploy for attention and she has no interest in having another one. It's annoying and she needs to put her big girl panties on and be honest. I have grown to like Janelle and could see her being the one who would leave if anyone did leave. I noticed that they rarely show "the relationship" between Kody and Janelle... But a trainwreck I can't stop watching...
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I think if Cody had to choose today which wife he would want to spend the rest of his life with if he could only have one and that would be Robyn. She is the only one who I see him even close to being in love with. I see no connection with him and Janelle and Christine. I have never thought he was in love With Janelle. I am not crazy about Meri.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Does anyone know what they believe would happen to them, as far as religion goes, if one of them left or Meri actually divorced Kody?
    Nothing happens - divorce isn't ideal, but then again it's not ideal for anyone regardless of faith. However, non-fundamentalist marriage ceremonies join a couple "till death do part", whereas their faith believes that marriage joins them for all eternity. Robyn was married before. She & her ex-husband were fundamentalists but they did not find the opportunity to add a sister wife to their family. (She mentions in the book that as a divorced woman with children, she had no expectation of being a "first wife" again.) I assume - I don't know this for certain - that she will meet Kody in their Celestial Kingdom, not her ex-husband. I do know that if someone is widowed and remarries, that person reunites with their first spouse in the Celestial Kingdom. If one of Kody's wives leave (Janelle did leave him for a time) permanently, then I guess she relinquishes her spot with him for eternity.

Your question did make me wonder this - if Meri divorced Kody (and I don't really believe she would, because I think their relationship is far more profound than his relationship with the other three - that is just my opinion), would he legally marry one of the remaining three?
    Shoepie likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Thanks AJane. I have not watched from the begining. I didn't know Janelle left for awhile. Interesting.

I believe Kody's bond with Meri is stronger/deeper, too.

After reading this thread I decided to read the book to get more of their internal dialog about their relationships and what not.

I'm about half way through the book and I'm not finding it particularly sad. I am not a monogamous person by nature (and am female). I strongly prefer to be in open relationships or if that's not feasible at least swinging relationships. Though I can be monogamous if that is truly important to my partner. Granted this is not something I do for a religious reason but I've always wondered if those people who live a poly life due to religion face the same struggles that me and the partners I have had have faced. And it's good to see essentially they do. Though I continue to see Kody as incredibly poor at navigating the nuances of a poly relationship. There's a huge level of communication that should be happening between Kody and each of hte women that I get the distinct feeling isn't happening even after reading the book. They're all vying for a little shred of his attention it feels like. In my good open relationships when my partner was gone (even if I didn't have another partner to go to) I never felt like I was constantly begging for attention.

This book also kind of reinforced my general idea that none of these women were ready for what a poly relationship is. They had an idealized religious notion of it. And I get the feeling after reading the book and watching what I can of this show that these women still have a drive for some monogamized version of their poly relationship. They are all very high maintenance women. And you just can't be that woman that needs to constantly feel special and the center of attention and do this kind of relationship. You will forever be unhappy.

That being said I think if this all fell apart today that Kody would have zero issues saying good by to Janelle and Christine since I feel like he really wasn't that into them from the get go and was just doing his religious deed with them. And while I think he cares deeply about Mari she has become very high maintenance and he would probably be ok leaving her too (though I could see them staying friends). If it fell apart I could see him being more monogamous with Robin of anyone in his clan here.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    After reading this thread I decided to read the book to get more of their internal dialog about their relationships and what not.

I'm about half way through the book and I'm not finding it particularly sad. I am not a monogamous person by nature (and am female). I strongly prefer to be in open relationships or if that's not feasible at least swinging relationships. Though I can be monogamous if that is truly important to my partner. Granted this is not something I do for a religious reason but I've always wondered if those people who live a poly life due to religion face the same struggles that me and the partners I have had have faced. And it's good to see essentially they do. Though I continue to see Kody as incredibly poor at navigating the nuances of a poly relationship. There's a huge level of communication that should be happening between Kody and each of hte women that I get the distinct feeling isn't happening even after reading the book. They're all vying for a little shred of his attention it feels like. In my good open relationships when my partner was gone (even if I didn't have another partner to go to) I never felt like I was constantly begging for attention.

This book also kind of reinforced my general idea that none of these women were ready for what a poly relationship is. They had an idealized religious notion of it. And I get the feeling after reading the book and watching what I can of this show that these women still have a drive for some monogamized version of their poly relationship. They are all very high maintenance women. And you just can't be that woman that needs to constantly feel special and the center of attention and do this kind of relationship. You will forever be unhappy.

That being said I think if this all fell apart today that Kody would have zero issues saying good by to Janelle and Christine since I feel like he really wasn't that into them from the get go and was just doing his religious deed with them. And while I think he cares deeply about Mari she has become very high maintenance and he would probably be ok leaving her too (though I could see them staying friends). If it fell apart I could see him being more monogamous with Robin of anyone in his clan here.
    Interesting. I also read the book because I was curious. I also did not find it sad, but agree with your analysis that Kody does not do a great job of communicating and moderating the relationships, and that is where I think the big downfall is in this group. From reading the summaries in the book, I also do not think he would have a hard time letting go of Jenelle or Christine. I do think there are real, strong feelings there for Meri. She was the first and there was a real courtship there. But I do think the intervening years have hurt that relationship tremendously. He is the most physically attracted to Robyn right now, but does that translate into long term happiness? Who knows.

I think Grody has not been intimate with Janelle in years. Grody is only in this religion so he can pork other women and have it be ok. Do all the women come from polygismt familes?

Did anyone watch last night? Showed us the real evil that life is like as polygamists. Gawd. Crap. Who would ever want that way of life? The one young man comes home late (2am) and is kicked out of his family home and told never to come back. I think these families out there in JEFFS WORLD are taught NOT to love. I mean WHY are they shunning their own flesh and blood??? Disturbing. Horrible. That one girl, Kolleen, hmm, something happened to her. She has so much pent up anger. Poor girl. Also, Robin stated she was abused in her previous marriage. I wonder the details of that. She was probably shunned as well because why would her ex allow her to just move on with her life????

The previews for next week of course TLC has to show us clips to rein us in every week but Christine is just not happy at all. GRODY has not seen her kiddos with him in over a week she states and the kiddos are asking where he is hmm.

Oh and Meri, OVER BUDGET Does not surprise me at all. And we Janelle with 6 children cutting back on upgrades to save money.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread