+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 178 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast
Like Tree695Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4076683;
    I don't claim to understand the lifestyle these women have chosen, but I do think they seem to have amde it work pretty well for them and their children. Even though she chose to live this way, I do still feel for Meri. She clearly has some insecurity about the set up and I couldn't help but feel for ehr even though she is in a situation of her own choosing.
    The only person I really didn't like was Kody. What a smug git he is. Talk about the cat that got the cream.
    There seems to be no productive reason to bring anotehr wife (and her children) into the "marriage". The reason is purely because Kody's got a hankering for a new wife.
    That seems utterly selfish to me. I was repulsed by him.
    You've said exactly how I feel about this show and arrangement. Last nights show really pushed me to my edge. Kody is so selfish and wife #3 was going on about how much she didn't want this extra wife and he had no regard for her or anyone else in the family. He just wants to live this lifestyle of having a harem of women around them and seems to have little care or concern for the women and children he has involved in it. He is a giant creeper and the worst part of the show. Watching the wives interact is interesting to me, especially the fact that they all seem to get along. For now, I'm going to continue to watch the series, but Kody will be the ultimate reason I stop.

I agree with regard to the relationship the first three wives have.
    They seem to make the situation work very well, to the point thast I question why they need Kody at all, or want him for that matter.
    I'm not really prone to violence, but that smug perma-grin on his face as he drove along in the first episode really made me want to punch him. This was about two minutes into the show.
    Once I saw the house, that the women get along and that the children seem happy and healthy I felt better about continuing to watch.
    Still aren't sure I'll ever watch another episode though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4076726;
    They seem to make the situation work very well, to the point thast I question why they need Kody at all, or want him for that matter.
    I was thinking the same thing before I read your post.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

If they really want to sell this thing, they should show Kody interacting with the children, being the "good father" they profess him to be. All I see is a grown man acting like a goofy, lovesick teenager. He basically gets to have a girlfriend and you can see how "googly-eyed" he is with her compared to the first three. The wives seem fairly intelligent, and mostly likeable. Why they put up with this goofball is beyond me.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4076708;
    I've decided what really grosses me out about this arrangement is the thought of the mixture of all of the body fluids. The one wife said that they weren't into anything "weird" but, obviously when you think about the body fluids, they've all had sex with each other.

And how must it feel to know that you are not enough for your husband. He tells them that everytime he decides to take another wife. That first wife has been through hell, because she has been told that time and time and time again. I don't understand why that is OK with these women. He's, basically, saying "I don't value you enough and will find another woman, and you will accept that." Actions speak louder than words, Kody. I'd rather be by myself that with a man who thinks this little of me.
    I think these women would tell you that this is their calling, and that it does not compare (in any way) to traditional marriage. They are all in relationship with each other. What we seem to find most shocking is that they prefer this kind of marriage to the kind we have. Or to the serial kind of marriage that's totally acceptable in our society (i.e. people who marry, divorce, remarry - some over and over again).

We have friends who are in their third marriages. It's not at all uncommon. We are attending a wedding next week (the groom's 4th wedding). I don't see much of a difference there, except that serial marriages divide families permanently. I bet Kody & Co. don't even expect their friends to attend their weddings, and I bet they are not registered at Nordstrom's.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-04-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I dislike the patriarchy of it. Can the women have more than one husband? No. That is what is most offensive to me. Women, in fairly recent history, have been treated like chattel by men, and this type of system seems to reinforce this type of thinking. The morality does not offend me since they seem to be consenting adults. In fact, I would probably have less problem with it if it were a family of "married" women.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4076757;
    I dislike the patriarchy of it. Can the women have more than one husband? No. That is what is most offensive to me. Women, in fairly recent history, have been treated like chattel by men, and this type of system seems to reinforce this type of thinking. The morality does not offend me since they seem to be consenting adults. In fact, I would probably have less problem with it if it were a family of "married" women.
    Just wait. If they can be found, TLC will be signing them up
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4076764;
    Just wait. If they can be found, TLC will be signing them up
    Too funny!

Seriously these women stick this out because in order to get to "heaven" they have to be married. It is part of their doctrine. They need to have a celestial marriage.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

These 'wives' don't seem to know what they want. First they say wife #1 wanted Kody to approach Robyn and start 'courting' but then she says she has jealousy issues. The other two wives basically agreed about having another sister wife in the fold but then complain and cry about Kody not spending enough time with them.
    What bothered me was that wife #4 has a son with Aspbergers (autisim). My friend has a son with Aspbergers and he needs alot of attention. It seemed to me that the mother cared more about Kody and getting herself set up in this new life and family. Some of these kids are going to be messed up by this lifestyle.

FORT Fogey

And how must it feel to know that you are not enough for your husband. He tells them that everytime he decides to take another wife.
    Their faith gives Kody the ultimate excuse: "It's not you, it's God." As a Mormon, Kody is empowered by God to receive His message to go forth and find another wife. Who can argue with God? Certainly not the wives, no matter what feelings they may have about inadequacy. So Kody can behave like a hormonal teenager (not a good image for a man his age) over his latest acquisition, and the faith that allows him to do this also fortifies the wives who must accept it. Perhaps that's the most poignant expression of their faith: that despite their very human feelings in such an emotionally charged situation, they believe their faith will sustain them. I can't imagine myself or my daughters accepting such a thing because the Joseph Smith version of religion is way too bizarre for me.

What bothered me was that wife #4 has a son with Aspbergers (autisim). My friend has a son with Aspbergers and he needs alot of attention. It seemed to me that the mother cared more about Kody and getting herself set up in this new life and family. Some of these kids are going to be messed up by this lifestyle.
    ITA. My nephew has Aspbergers and hes' extremely sensitive to changes in his environment. I can't imagine how this child will be able to adapt to such a drastic change in his everyday life. I think the 4th wife has been a single mother of 3, including a special needs child, and Kody & Co. is a port of refuge.
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 10-04-2010 at 09:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread