+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree560Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

This show was so very interesting.
    Yes, the Darger clan may be hyper -organized; but with that many people living under one roof you would have to be! The contrast of the Darger plyg family with the Brown family, just reinforced that the "Sister Wives" crew are a bunch of buffoons.

There is no reason they need 4 houses, except they are all extremely selfish. They could easily find somewhere to build one giant McMansion, and divide that up into 4 living spaces for each wife. Then they could each have their own kitchen, living room, etc... yet all be under the same roof. Meri could have her precious wet bar and counter in her portion of the mansion.

I'm am disliking Meri more and more with each episode.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Thanks! I, too, hate to spend $$$ on the book....and won't. heh heh

The reason they're probably not selling ALL of the jewelry during this holiday season is because they.don't.have.the.money. to spend on gearing up their inventory. Hmmm...
    Honestly, I am reading the book right now, and although it is a library loaner, I would have bought it. I am truly fascinated by the fundamentalist culture and their theology, and I think what I like about the Browns is their willingness to speak about their lifestyle. The book is surprisingly honest. For instance, I was taken aback by Janelle's frankness about her relationship with Meri (antagonistic from the beginning) and her admission that she married Kody simply because of her wish to live the principle (of plural marriage) and for purely practical reasons.

I have seen Joe Darger on TV before...didn't like him then, don't like him now. He & his wives have been interviewed before, by Lisa Ling for one of her Our America episodes if I'm not mistaken. I think Christine was being diplomatic when she said he wasn't about control. One thing about the Brown wives - they maintain their individuality. They are separate and distinct personalities. I found it difficult to tell the Darger wives apart, and it had nothing to do with two of them being twin sisters. They make me uncomfortable.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I saw much more of a family commitment with the Darger's. Kody Brown rarely interacts with his children, I doubt he can name them all. Just breed with his wives and drive off in his tony little car. I've often thought his plural "marriage" is a front for his lack of hetrosexuality. I can see why Joe Darger was attacted to his wives, Kody, not so much. I don't agree with their life choices at all, but to each his own. The wives talking about the Drager wives being in shape was laughable. Robin noted that they all work out too, except for her........ most of the Brown's looked like inflatable pool toys at the beach. Sisterwive's should be labled as un-reality TV. In what world could they afford all of those houses, really!

If you had to sleep with Kody, wouldn't you drink
    libgirl2 and gadmus126 like this.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Yes, heavily....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I read the first half of their book and stopped only because it got a bit repetitive. But I agree, AJane, their honesty was impressive, and it's made me look at Meri in a new light. Not all of it positive. That said, I'm kind of surprised that the family engenders such hostility. I think they're refreshingly candid and nonjudgmental, which is surprising given the fact that theirs is a pretty orthodox religion. I always think of orthodoxy and judgment going hand in hand, but they're the opposite. I also like the fact that they're a loud, disorganized messy family that encourages individualism.
    Shoepie and Imperfect1 like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Would be a blithering drunk.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I just want everyone to know that my hubs is a genius--he watched about 5 minutes of sister wives the other night during the section were Meri was complaining about how she needed the wet bar and 5 bedrooms because they should all get equal shares--he simply announced about Meri: "there is a difference between equality and fairness...someone should explain it to her"

Meri can be an equal partner but she doesn't need 5 bedrooms and an extravagant home just because her budget is bigger since she doesn't have as many kids. What is FAIR in a family unit is that consideration be made for everyone according to their needs, not their numbers. By Meri's silly logic if one of the kids had a serious medical condition they shouldn't get treatment because their medical bills would cost more than the average childs--and that's not equality! When you are in a family you give and get because you want those you love to be happy; in turn, you are happier for helping your family. Meri could easily give up one of the several bedrooms she doesn't need and give that $$ to another family member (so maybe one of the more populated homes gets an extra bathroom--imagine how helpful that would be to "her" kids) but she is simply too selfish to even consider the idea. Instead, she spends her time complaining and wanting more more more!
    What a selfish mom and family member--its pretty obvious why Janelle and Christine (who, for all her cookiness, seems to really love all the children and completely happy with just giving to her family) don't really get along with Meri and why Robyn, who is cut from the same mold, is her bff.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    I just want everyone to know that my hubs is a genius--he watched about 5 minutes of sister wives the other night during the section were Meri was complaining about how she needed the wet bar and 5 bedrooms because they should all get equal shares--he simply announced about Meri: "there is a difference between equality and fairness...someone should explain it to her"

Meri can be an equal partner but she doesn't need 5 bedrooms and an extravagant home just because her budget is bigger since she doesn't have as many kids. What is FAIR in a family unit is that consideration be made for everyone according to their needs, not their numbers. By Meri's silly logic if one of the kids had a serious medical condition they shouldn't get treatment because their medical bills would cost more than the average childs--and that's not equality! When you are in a family you give and get because you want those you love to be happy; in turn, you are happier for helping your family. Meri could easily give up one of the several bedrooms she doesn't need and give that $$ to another family member (so maybe one of the more populated homes gets an extra bathroom--imagine how helpful that would be to "her" kids) but she is simply too selfish to even consider the idea. Instead, she spends her time complaining and wanting more more more!
    What a selfish mom and family member--its pretty obvious why Janelle and Christine (who, for all her cookiness, seems to really love all the children and completely happy with just giving to her family) don't really get along with Meri and why Robyn, who is cut from the same mold, is her bff.
    Exactly, and why doesn't she turn one of her many empty bedrooms into a hobby room instead of building an extra?

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Interesting info from an online acquaintance.

The Browns were at a craft show in Las Vegas last weekend selling their cra(p)ft items. Several people asked them about the ornament (the cheapest thing they offer). They were out of them - and they are showing up as Out of Stock online. Kody actually told this woman, "You can probably find one on eBay, but you'll have to pay 3 times what it's worth."

Um, I'm not good at math, but isn't 3 x $0 still $0?

ETA: Curiosity got the better of me, and I checked eBay this morning. There were no Brown ornaments offered. So either people are HOARDING them, or (as I almost suspect), they never actually have anything to sell - it's just a front/tax write-off for them.
    Last edited by AZChristian; 12-07-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Shoepie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread