+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

Well, this is probably a gated community, so it may solve a little bit of a privacy issue, and the younger kids can play together without having to have a mom drive them. And it makes it easier for the camera crew.

But it's still ridiculous that people with no jobs can afford 4 brand new identical houses . . . especially when one has one kid ready to leave for college and the others each have 4 or more kids.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Well, this is probably a gated community, so it may solve a little bit of a privacy issue, and the younger kids can play together without having to have a mom drive them. And it makes it easier for the camera crew.

But it's still ridiculous that people with no jobs can afford 4 brand new identical houses . . . especially when one has one kid ready to leave for college and the others each have 4 or more kids.
    Good point about kids playing without having to be driven. I cannot imagine what viewers who have lost their homes to foreclosure think about this. Or anyone having trouble buying a house. I wonder how many people googled "credit repair" after that show aired.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I remember Kody saying in one of the recent voice-overs that it was very important to the kids to be living close enough to each other to interact EVERY DAY like they would in one large family. And for him too, as their dad, that he would like to be able to see all of his kids every day --- and although he didn't say it in that particular voice-over, probably to see all of his wives pretty much every day as well. I agree with his point --- financial issues and the economy aside, I think it's a better idea for a family to live together than all in separate locations, even if they're within the same general neighborhood. I still think it would've made a lot MORE SENSE for them to buy and add onto ONE large house, and it probably would've been a whole lot cheaper to do that, because they could've gotten ONE mortgage which included additional funds for the construction of the addition. Or, as a couple of you guys suggested, they could have bought one lot and put up a modular construction, or maybe even 4 huge trailers, all next to each other. But at the end of the day, it is what it is, and I hope it works out for them.
    nanarama likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I remember Kody saying in one of the recent voice-overs that it was very important to the kids to be living close enough to each other to interact EVERY DAY like they would in one large family. And for him too, as their dad, that he would like to be able to see all of his kids every day --- and although he didn't say it in that particular voice-over, probably to see all of his wives pretty much every day as well. I agree with his point --- financial issues and the economy aside, I think it's a better idea for a family to live together than all in separate locations, even if they're within the same general neighborhood. I still think it would've made a lot MORE SENSE for them to buy and add onto ONE large house, and it probably would've been a whole lot cheaper to do that, because they could've gotten ONE mortgage which included additional funds for the construction of the addition. Or, as a couple of you guys suggested, they could have bought one lot and put up a modular construction, or maybe even 4 huge trailers, all next to each other. But at the end of the day, it is what it is, and I hope it works out for them.
    Zoning laws rarely allow trailers, even in remote areas. Modular homes have restrictions, too. On the lots they bought, I am sure zoning only allows the house designs they purchased.

I'm going to Vegas next month for my birthday. If anyone can help me track down where the development is, I'd love to try to drive by and see if the houses are built yet!

Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Zoning laws rarely allow trailers, even in remote areas. Modular homes have restrictions, too. On the lots they bought, I am sure zoning only allows the house designs they purchased.
    I was going to post this. New developments are very particular. It's why the houses are all so similar. Frontage has to be the same, garages in the front...it's so nice to have a new house but it's so awful how there's no originality or character in the facades.

It looks like they are on the outskirts of the city? Nothing but empty land behind them. I think they probably got a helluva deal on the land & houses. I have been told that housing starts in Las Vegas are way, way down. I know several people (here in Canada) that have purchased condos & homes as winter getaways because the prices are so low. It's an investment. The Browns, I imagine, are getting at least some of their money from TLC, like their other reality families have.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Haven't watched last night's episode yet, but caught a little bit of the prior episode. I checked on Credit Restoration of Nevada (the place where Robyn and Kody went to clean up her credit). This company is getting a TON of business out of being on SW. I doubt anyone else's credit can be cleaned up as quickly as Robyn's was - unless, of course, the applicant has a huge new income from being on reality tv.

FORT Fogey

I believe TLC is the reason behind them purchasing the houses. Robin's credit problem was for drama. She probably had one but it was not an issue. I would not be surprised to learn the city of Las Vegas helped, too. Anything to draw more people and more interest.

These reality shows don't seem to be doing most of these types of people much good.
    • We had a case near us several years ago where Extreme Makeover Home Edition came in and TOTALLY re-did a house, expanding it, etc. The folks who lived there had 6 or 7 kids, but Dad couldn't work because of a "back injury." (Apparently, the "back injury" didn't curtail ALL of his activities, since a couple of the children were conceived AFTER his "injury.") So these folks mortgaged the new, improved house and - of course - could not make the mortgage payments. They lost the house. It was then found that the workmanship was similar to what you'd see on a movie set - pretty on the outside, but not structurally good. There were areas where the framing wasn't even attached to the foundation!
    • Many "Hoarders" revert to their bad habits.
    • Kate Gosselin. (No further comment needed.)
    • The Boo Boo family (yet to see the final result, but I suspect it ain't gonna be pretty).

I think I'm going to stick with the reality competition shows - Survivor, Amazing Race, DWTS, maybe a smattering of AGT. As far as these other fiascos, I'm ready to stick a fork in myself. I'm done. I don't like to watch people sell their souls for money.
    PIMguy and elleprn like this.

FORT Fogey

I just watched last night's show. This board does not allow me to use the language I desire to describe Kody.

What a jerk. Why on earth is he pushing Meri to have another child?! He has plenty and said he would have more. Well, with who? I am not sure he has polled his wives. I doubt Janelle wants another.

I am dumb struck and how harshly he is dogging Meri for an answer. What is in it for him?

+ Reply to Thread