+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree634Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

It's like they are in a dream land. I wonder if they are basing their desire to purchase on the idea that if they are going to pay rent, then they may as well be buying the house instead of renting. I'm not sure I'm up to hearing them complain about how they are going to pay for these houses for ANOTHER season. Enough already.
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Not surprised. I think Janelle's kids will all be more independently minded (like their mom).

'Sister Wives' daughter rejects family's religion, polygamy
    TLC

By Ree Hines, TODAY contributor

Not every member of the Brown family plans to follow in the footsteps of patriarch Kody Brown and his four brides. At least one of the family's 17 children has decided that the polygamous lifestyle and the Fundamentalist Mormon faith just aren't for her.

In the following exclusive sneak peek from the season premiere of TLC's "Sister Wives," Madison, daughter of Kody and second wife Janelle, expresses her independent streak.

"I would not be able to share my husband like that," 16-year-old Madison tells her friends in the clip. "For me, it wouldn't make me happy."

That's much the same answer she later gave her father when he asked why she didn't want to be part of the family's faith.

"You can be in our faith and not be polygamous," Kody assured.

But Madison seemed unlikely to budge. She feels that her big sister Mariah, Kody's 17-year-old daughter with first wife Meri, is much more suited to the religion.

"I am not like Mariah," she insisted. "I hang out with the kids that kind of do party -- a little bit, some of them. … Mariah hangs out with a bunch of Mormons, and I don't."

And while Madison understands that many parents would be upset to learn that their child isn't going to follow their path, her parents are flexible.

"They're supportive," she explained. "They don't care; whatever makes me happy."

Kody agreed, and added, "I tried to teach my kids to have a strong relationship with God. Each individual has to figure that out themselves."

The season premiere of "Sister Wives" airs Sunday night at 9 p.m. on TLC.

Watching season premier right now!

Has anyone seen it yet?
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

I am watching it now. So manipulated! Of course TLC cleared her credit and they are paying them enough to pay the bills, houses and all. That said (oh please) I do find the relationships fascinating and that is why I watch. Very iinteresting religious conviction to live like this.

That was so bogus that Robin's credit problems magically got cleared up just in time for her to qualify for the construction loan! The realtor doesn't sound too convinced that they will all qualify for the actual home loans though; yet the delusional family didn't pay her a speck of attention... and acted like they have these homes in the bag.

An entire season of listening to their financial woes is going to get old really fast.

Why are these people buying expensive homes when they clearly don't have the income to do so? Do they think TLC is going to foot the bill for 4 brand new homes for them?? This is just so idiotic.

Why not move back to Utah and move into the big house they lived in before? Obviously they still have the home, they showed some family member living in it. They could all be happy as clams living together in one house again. Add another wing, or another story on for Robin's crew. Problem solved.

Or, if they want to stay in Sin City, why not look into cheaper housing options such as modular homes? I suppose that building one gigantic mansion for the entire Brown clan is out of the question, since one person would have to qualify for this enormous loan individually.
    Debb70 likes this.

And I still don't "get" the mentality that they all get identical houses, no matter the size of the individual group.

Here's why: I have 3 grandchildren - my daughter has one child, my son has two. When the holidays come around, I don't say, "I will spend the same amount of money on each 'group.' Therefore, my daughter's child gets TWICE as much as my son's children." I spend the same amount on each individual. It should be the same way with the housing.

In my scenario, Meri isn't being "punished" because she only has one child. Let's figure out a certain amount per square foot for each PERSON in the the family, and allow each PERSON the same amount of space (minus the kitchen/common areas). Meri and her daughter don't physically need as much room as Janelle and/or Christina and their large broods in order to have the same amount of individual space. For her to want an identical house, given the financial challenges of the group, is extremely selfish. By their thinking, everyone on welfare should get the same check - whether they're single, or whether they have a bunch of kids. There's no logic.

Not that they care what I think, but that's what I think.

Oh . . . and if they're so danged broke, WHY IS KODY DRIVING A BRAND NEW CONVERTIBLE??????
    sparklete likes this.

My understanding is that they left Utah to avoid prosecution due to their lifestyle. It's not legal there. So I think at this point returning to Utah is really out of the question for them if they want to maintain their lifestyle.

Though I do agree there are cheaper options for homes that they could be looking into in Nevada. I was also under the impression that really none of them had any concept of how to manage money. Hopefully their children will learn that skill somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    And I still don't "get" the mentality that they all get identical houses, no matter the size of the individual group.

In my scenario, Meri isn't being "punished" because she only has one child. Let's figure out a certain amount per square foot for each PERSON in the the family, and allow each PERSON the same amount of space (minus the kitchen/common areas). Meri and her daughter don't physically need as much room as Janelle and/or Christina and their large broods in order to have the same amount of individual space. For her to want an identical house, given the financial challenges of the group, is extremely selfish. By their thinking, everyone on welfare should get the same check - whether they're single, or whether they have a bunch of kids. There's no logic.
    I totally agree. We have a big family. We have 9 kids and we taught them at a young age that fair and equal are not always the same thing. Fair is each one getting what they need, like my teenage boys getting new shoes more often when they outgrow the old ones much faster than the girls. Equal is everyone waiting for new shoes until we can afford to buy everyone new shoes at the same.

After reading their book this summer, I am not at all surprised Meri is interpreting her situation as a punishment and wanting to equate fair with equal. Yes, it's a nice thought in the abstract, but for people who live in the real world it doesn't always work like that.

After reading the book, I think Meri must be a real peach to live with.
    AZChristian likes this.

Did anyone else feel that Kody was being very dismissive of Christina when she brought up her missed bill and late payments, expressing her concern that she might have not qualified because of it? This is a woman who - by her own admission - isn't financially savvy ("Janelle used to pay all the bills"), and all she knows is that she was told not to make any late payments during the credit process . . . and then she was late. When she brought that up, Kody was really rude, "Your little missed water payment is not going to stop anything. We have some REAL problems here."

Maybe Christina was trying to draw a little attention to herself, I don't know. But I see her as the one who hasn't had to function much in the "real world" and I can see where she might be concerned. IDK. I just thought Kody sounded really rude, and knowing the issues they seem to be having lately, his tone seemed really unkind.

I thought that Christina was either trying to take some pressure off of Robyn, by bringing up her small credit problems OR she was saying that as a dig against Robyn. I'm not sure which one it was.

I'm not sure that credit issues disappear so quickly, but hey, they seem to have some magic behind the scenes. I wish I knew exactly what kind of money they were talking about. Is each house and lot going to cost around $120,000.00 or closer to $350,000.00? Are there house payments going to be around $800.00 per month or $3000.00? Just curious.

Did anyone notice when Robyn instroduced her little sister who is staying with her while Robyn works? You know the first thing I thought. Wife #5? lol

+ Reply to Thread