+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree696Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Jessop is a name I have heard often in connection to the FLDS ala Warren Jeffs.
    Flora Jessop is a well-known FLDS/Warren Jeffs victims' rights activist who is a former FLDS member and current FLDS victims rescuer. She's often seen as one of the 'voices of reason' on many talk shows and interview shows on the subject. Perhaps that's where you've also heard the Jessops name.

Willie Jessop is a former Jeffs follower/thug. He was on Dr Phil some time ago, I believe. I think he is the one who denounced Jeffs publicly but still defends the FLDS church.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bearwme1 View Post
    Just finished reading through all the posts. I was so shocked by the interview episode. I can't believe they thought the book was a good idea. I think it has really
    hurt their "brand" and image. I thought they all got along well but boy was I wrong. I actually feel sorry for some of them. I guess they feel they can't leave expecially while they are on the TLC gravy train. However, the minute the spotlight goes off, I think they are going to have real problems that we'll be hearing about on TMZ!
    During the interview it was stated that Kody wasn't even phsically attracted to Christine and yet married her. Christine said it hurt to hear that. Duh He thought she was chubby and disgusting when eating a nacho! Then there's Janelle too who is sitting there listening to all of this who is quite large. So awkard. Unbelievable.

I think they mentioned that Kody and Meri do counseling sessions, I really think he needs it with all of em. I know we are not all perfect but man Kody really needs to get over himself. I think he is a very selfish man. He is not a catch by any means.

Next season I hope is a bit better this season was kinda boring for me (at least).
    OceanView likes this.

Does anyone know when this starts back up?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

The banner on TLC said 11/11, but that's been taken down and no date is listed.
    lilcountriegal likes this.

The finale of that show last season really blew my mind. I think the stuff that was revealed in their book was just TMI. I wonder if it's hurt their brand. I don't care for most of the wives now and have a VERY low opinon of Kody. He's a jerk and proud of it. I'm not sure what more he can offer me in the form of entertainment.

My entire opinion of their family changed towards the end of the season. I think most of what we saw was fake, until that book came out and exposed the truth. I guess all families have some dysfunction though.

I agree, Debb. I think that book and the subsequent interviews did that family a disservice. I was completely behind "Team Brown" up until I saw that. What I thought of one giant happy family reared its ugly head showing nothing but dysfunction and inner turmoil. While I'm completely hooked on the Browns, Id like just one more season to put an end to the storyline and some closure. Unfortunately, what kept that show going was the fan base in support of the Browns. After that crazy end of last year, I think their fan base shrunk to a level that cant be recovered.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I didn't know about this book until I came here today. Below is a review from a reader on amazon.

I watch the show Sister Wives on TLC but don't consider myself a starry eyed fan. I watch the show because I enjoy learning about other lifestyles and cultures. I don't have any issues with the family living however they want, I am a big fan of freedom of choice in how you live your life. Although I watch the show, I wanted to know more about why this family has chosen this life. The book doesn't really answer this fully. I understand there is a celestial principle that they believe in and also understand that taking plural wives is part of adhering to this principle. Although it doesn't really say this, the general impression I get is that they feel that in order to enter the highest kingdom of heaven, the celestial kingdom, they are required to live 'the principle' which requires plural marriage. This is how I understand it, but I could be wrong.

All that being said, that explanation above is about the only reason I can see these women agreeing to live in this lifestyle. Each woman's section and story is actually very sad. I was refreshingly surprised that each wive in their sections appeared to be writing very honestly about their struggles with plural marriage. I find both Janelle's and Christine's stories to be particularly heartbreaking. Both Janelle and Christine had such difficulty with being accepted and approved by Meri that they both in different ways ended up moving out of a shared house to separate houses, Christine to a cottage on the property and Janelle at one point, actually moved with the kids to a house near her mother. It seems that for both Christine and Janelle, they could never do anything right in Meri's eyes so there was a lot of friction. It was heartbreaking to read Janelle's description of sitting in a chair by herself while Meri and Kody held hands when they watched movies at home.

It seems that they didn't all live together in the true plural marriage sense until the Lehi house. Even then it sounded like Meri liked to keep her distance (and made kind of catty remarks about how she and her daughter liked to be healthy and quiet vs. the other wives, which seemed like unnecessary jabs), it seemed the Janelle and Chrsitine had a better bond in the Lehi house. Then Robyn enters the picture. Although Meri portrays on the show that she finally found the sister wive she had always wanted, the book tells a different story. Once it was decided to have Robyn join the family, both Meri and Christine fell into deep depressions.

Robyn's chapters are the most confusing to me. Confusing in that she is either very empathetic and caring and trying to keep peace in the plural family relationship or she is very manipulative and cunning. It's hard to know. She seems to say all the right things but it is her story that makes me wonder if she is being as honest as the others. Since her story is relatively new to the group, I guess time will tell with that.

Now that they all live in Las Vegas, it seems that they are further than every from living the true 'principle". They all live separately and seem to all be responsible for all their own bills. I guess for now the TLC paychecks keep everyone afloat. They don't seem to enjoy each other as 'friends' at all, they appear to rarely get together with the wives unless required by their Sunday church service and brunch and the mention of Friday night get togethers. The wives even mention in various ways that they don't know if they would even be friends with their sister wives if they weren't part of the family. Honestly it seems like 4 single mothers who all have the same husband. I don't see much in the way of a true big family relationship at all.

So my review comes down to this: I found each of the stories to be interesting and mostly honest. I feel that these women must feel that they have to life this lifestyle in order for future rewards in heaven (or the after life, or whatever terminology you would use) because otherwise I have no idea why they would stay in a situation where they are for the most part miserable and insecure. All the assurances that this lifestyle helps refine them doesn't feel honest to me, I think they are just trying to make the best of a bad situation. And none of the wives really hold Kody responsible for any of their unhappiness...they all love and accept him just as he is. Interestingly, his story is not all that prominent in the book and the general impression I get is that they all live their own separate lives and Kody is around on his days and on Sundays.

I will definitely watch the show now with a different understanding. I was surprised and pleased by the honesty of especially Christine and Janelle and find myself hoping they find a way out of this situation and a way towards happiness.

If you watch the show, I think you will be intrigued by their individual stories. This book will not at all encourage people to embrace the plural marriage lifestyle but does give some good insight as to what really goes on in these families.
    Debb70 likes this.

Thanks for that post about the book. I do intend to read it.

I think the person who wrote the review may be right on target. I get the same impression from Robyn. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something I don't trust about her. She comes off as very sincere and says all the right things, but it just doesn't feel right. Does that make any sense?

+ Reply to Thread