+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Colony

The Colony

Is anyone else watching this show?

The Discovery Channel
    TUESDAYS AT 10PM ET/PT

This is a "survival experiment". Volunteers live in the simulated aftermath of a global catastrophe.

It's hard to describe but there is no power, no running water, scavenged food, etc. The Volunteers are both males and females, different ages and etnicities, and from varying backgrounds with different strengths and weaknesses. This season there is everything from a model to an auto mechanic.

The producers simulate different situations, needs and dangers that actual survivors of an apocalyptic event might face, with explanations (for the viewers) from psychologists, engineers, Homeland Security, etc.

This season is set on 10 acres in Louisiana following a global Viral Outbreak.

This is the 2nd season and it is really quite interesting and informative'

Google The Discovery Channel The Colony for more info.
    Last edited by echo226; 09-02-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Re: The Colony

I'm not watching this season. I watched it last season when it was new. I looked at the first episode this season and it seemed that the cause of the problem was different, but otherwise it was pretty much a rehash. I think it's interesting the first time around.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I started to watch it last season too. It got lost in the mix of my other shows and I never even got to see the entire season completely through. I loved watching it tho. I had no idea it was back on. I may have to tune into this season. Thanks for the heads up! What I saw of it last season (which was a good portion of it, just missed a few of the last episodes), it was pretty interesting.

That's one show I dont know if I could go on. That would seriously mess with your mind as far as surroundings.... they make it seem a bit realistic.

I watched most of last season "On Demand" because I ran across it after Season 1 was well underway.

A lot of reality shows like Survivor, Big Brother, etc., ... really all of them are ... rehashes each season. Even non-reality and game shows like Deal or No Deal, Wheel of Fortune, etc. are doing the same things over and over, show after show. As the saying goes ... same church different pew.

However, this season of The Colony definitely has some marked differences from last season. Different catastrophic event with the global virus ... requiring quarantine, etc. Also, the mix of people this season seem to be more "average", everyday folks and more clueless. And, the stressors they insert are different.

And of course the location and setting is different and there does not seem to be as much at their disposal as there was in the warehouse setting last season.

Again, I find it informative and in general ... it kind of makes you want to prepare just in case.
    Last edited by echo226; 09-03-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Newbie

I watched last season and caught a little of this one. I like the idea but can't get past the fake emotional stuff. Obviously, we all know they're in no real danger. Why not drop all the pretend anxiety and concentrate on the problem solving?

Quote Originally Posted by AzJoe;4054089;
    I watched last season and caught a little of this one. I like the idea but can't get past the fake emotional stuff. Obviously, we all know they're in no real danger. Why not drop all the pretend anxiety and concentrate on the problem solving?
    I think they are supposed to respond "as if" the situation is real. There may be some real anxiety when something goes very wrong as when the one guy went "missing" last season. Also, they call these people volunteers, but there must be something in it for them if they complete the season, or else why would anyone do it? I guess the experience is is interesting, but there must be more.

Mohandas Gandhi

I really enjoyed last season. This season not so much. Part of it has to do with priorities making these people appear to be idiots. what I think must be producer decided goals of doing things like building a "green energy" windmill so they can have power. Great but since they spend no time getting food they are starving to death. I guess at least they can have lights to watch each other die by. Uninteresting dummies.

I don't mean they have to be electrical engineers like last year, just some people with some common sense would be nicer to watch.

I missed the 1st season, although I think I would have liked to see it, since it was filmed in Los Angeles, at least that's what someone told me.
    I'm enjoying this show & learning things (like you can make oil from pig fat, gross). I also think that the situations that they are put in (kidnapping the girl), they must feel fake to them, but I guess when you are living like that, it must feel real. I'm surprised that they are actually having fights with "outsiders" where people could get hurt.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

The producers, having realized these people are not smart enough to survive on their own, have now provided them with a savior......ok they lost me.

Was the last episode where they reached the bayou only to find the militia group the season finale for season 2??? If that was the ending, thats horrible lol a cliff hanger ending... Sian's departure was a big question mark too...lol

+ Reply to Thread