+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Great Food Truck Race

Re: The Great Food Truck Race

Well, the Boston area is (obviously) rooting for Roxy's Grilled Cheese, and if Twitter is any indication, The Lime Truck is not one of our local favorites.

I didn't really get a "Grill 'em All" vibe from Roxy's, but honestly, all I really remember is the end and how NomNom should have won.

FORT Fogey

I watched the first episode, but I'm not sure I'll go out of my way to watch anymore. I don't think the concept is all that interesting--didn't think so last year either, but I thought maybe they'd have tweaked it, as shows often do for the second season. I'm also not terribly thrilled with any of the trucks this year, and I really tire of all the egotistic posturing very quickly. It always bugs me when people boast that because they're from somewhere, they're superior (and I noticed at least three trucks making that kind of comment tonight). True, people from a particular area might be better at something specific to that area--I'm not going to argue that a rancher hasn't got superior cattle herding skills, for instance--but the attitude that you're just generally smarter or craftier or whatever because of where you're from irritates me. There are smart and stupid people in every location.

I did feel sorry for that group in the taco truck, though. Their race was over before it started, because of a blown tire--and I don't think it's fair to make trucks pay for automotive repairs out of their food budget. That's like a double penalty for nothing more than sheer bad luck.

Overall, not a bad start, but not better than the first season's start. Seabirds jumped up to the top of my favorites list, they were quite pleasant from what I saw and I liked their truck's design too. Barely saw anything about Devilicious, so no judgement on them yet. Cafe con Leche were pretty likeable too, but the girl really needs to relax a bit. Korilla BBQ are a bit too full of themselves, but I'll give them a chance because I really like the tiger motif in their truck.

Hodge Podge, I liked the girls, but the guy came across as a big jerk to his girlfriend. At least he recognized his bad attitude, but he better fix it, and fast. As for Roxy's Grilled Cheese and the Lime Truck, I cannot decide which team I hate more. All six of those guys are full-blown windbags full of hot air. They're just plain horrible. The Roxy's guys were very childish with their parking thing, and the Lime Truck's guys' arrogance and condescending attitudes leave a bad taste in my mouth. Figures it's the teams full of a-holes who start a rivalry. I hope they both leave soon.

And I see the show's already begun with the BS. I liked Sky's Gourmet Tacos for what little we saw of them, you could just tell how passionate that lady was. But I agree that their race was over before it started. It's a horrible rule to make teams pay for such situations with their budget money, when it was not their fault. Not only are they losing valuable time, but also a big chunk of what little money they have. Why get double penalized for something that has nothing to do with the game? Their punishment and elimination had nothing to do with their product, or with being strategic and finding good spots and businesses to team up with. It was bad luck, an accident, and a stupid rule in a show that seems to get stupider little by little.

I will continue giving it a break due to the likable teams in the race, but I am having a difficult time getting past all the stupidity in part of the producers.

FORT Fogey

Can someone explain to me why the Korilla truck is painted with tiger stripes? I assumed Korilla was a combination of Korean and Gorilla, but does it mean something else that is somehow related to tigers? I realize it would be hard to make a truck look like a gorilla, but if you want a tiger striped truck, shouldn't it be reflective of your name somehow? I may not much like the Lime Truck, but at least it's clear why it's green.

BTW, I thought the Seabirds and the Con Leche teams were the most likable too, mostly because they didn't mean mouth anyone else. I thought it was a bit much on the Seabirds part to worry about disappointing the "vegan community," however, as I don't think any of the communities represented by the various trucks really have that much invested in a silly FN reality show.

I didn't quite get why the Korilla truck was so offended that other people showed up where they were working, especially since it was purely accidental that the other truck even saw them. In a lot of situations, there are multiple restaurants or vendors in the same area. The ones that are successful simply serve better food. Actually, I'd prefer it if all of them had to set up in the same area and compete for the same customers. Then you'd see which trucks really had better food and/or were more clever about selling it.

Oh, and I didn't get why the one truck thought catching people after church would get them a lot of business. Can't say as I usually want greasy comfort food immediately after leaving church myself. Don't they know that a lot of people have kind of established post-church Sunday traditions, whether it's brunch at a local restaurant or going home for a family meal?
    Last edited by Tilden; 08-15-2011 at 01:35 AM.
    Shoepie likes this.

Count me in as another one who didn't understand the Korilla/Tiger theme. Anyone?

I also didn't think it was fair that Sky had to use their own money to fix their blown tire. It was $180 and they had the money, but what if it was something more serious that the given $500 would not have been enough? Then what?

FORT Fogey

I agree with Tilden above.

This was a good show last season. It isn't necessary to throw in, flatening tires, towing and no power. This isn't Survival, it is a food competition and trying to combine the two concepts may be ill conceived. It is early and I will keep an open mind.

Korilla is a combo of Korean and grill.

"Tiger has been strongly associated with Korean people and Korean culture. It appears in not only the Korean foundation mythology but also in folklore, as well as a favorite subject of Korean art such as painting and sculpture. The mascot of the 1988 Summer Olympics held in Seoul, South Korea is Hodori, a symbolized tiger to represent Korean people."
    Last edited by Shoepie; 08-15-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Hmmm...where to start?

Lime truck - needs to drive itself off a cliff and never be seen on my screen again. What a bunch of jerks. I would have punched them or if cooler heads prevailed, I would have called the cops. They were parked illegally, now figure the cost of a ticket + hopefully towing out of their seed money. If the previews are to be believed, they actually crash their truck purposely into another one next week. I have a sinking feeling that this truck will be the winners after what happened last season with the jerkiest truck winning.

Speaking of jerks, what the heck with this season? Are any of them professional? Nice? Good sports? Last season there were so many that I liked and was sad to see leave. This season? Not one. Not one single one made me want to root for them, I'm hoping that changes because I'd hate to delete this from the DVR.

Sky Taco - what a load of BS. Even the hubby who rarely comments on these things said it was wrong, they should have been given some sort of chance to catch up.

The Speed Bump - yet another load of BS.

I already miss last season where it was all about finding your ingredients and figuring out how to sell to the new market. I don't like all the changes this season, I think the show will suffer for it. Food Network is not a network that has the sort of reality fans who enjoy such nastiness. We expect a bit more from our contestants (another reason why Network Star was so ick for me this season, too much focus on the nastiness that was Penny).

And finally we have Con Leche. I am Cuban, I wanted to cheer for this truck for that reason alone. However, the woman? Got on my last nerve! She was so...so....phoney and over the top and trying too hard to prove that she was Cuban enough. Yeah, issues much?

Korilla are closet jerks, I said it here first. The scowls on their faces? The comments they made about it being "their turf" (I was expecting them to rumble, ya'll!) just had me thinking that we are going to see some 1st class DBing out of them very shortly. They are not NomNom.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

As of tonight (8/21), I really dislike both the Lime and Korilla trucks (and whether the tiger is important in Korean culture or not, if you're naming your truck after a combination of Korean and gorilla, it seems like a weird idea to use tiger stripes--what's the point of the gorilla reference then?). The Lime Truck sold out the Seabirds, who seem like decent people, and I didn't like Korilla choosing to opt out of the sausage challenge at all in order to keep the meat. As far as I'm concerned, their win was tarnished by that, because even if it wasn't technically illegal, it was just a jerk move--and I think the show really needs to make sure that it's clear from now on that ALL the trucks have to participate in the challenges, because otherwise, they could hit a challenge where multiple trucks opt out, which is going to screw them up in terms of the show.

I also think the sausage challenge was ridiculous. Production knew going in that they had a vegan truck. They should have provided a non-meat option (soy, tofu, something) for them that could be turned into a sausage. They shouldn't have had to choose between the challenge and their convictions, because no other truck was put in that position. I'm not a vegan myself, but that just seemed unfair.

I wasn't surprised to see Devilicious go home, but I'd have preferred it be the Boston truck. I just don't get why people would wait in line for a grilled cheese sandwich. Who can't make a grilled cheese sandwich on their own?

I haven't yet watched this season, but I did watch last season when Grill em All beat out the Nom Nom truck.
    This past week, I was leaving my Dr's office and stopped at the market a block aways before getting in my car. Right outside the market was the Grill em All truck with a long line queued up!!
    I was tempted to stop for a burger, but remembered I was still on Weight Watchers!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I don't have a clear idea of what every truck offers. The challenges happened so soon that we haven't gotten a feel for any of their food. Not knowing this, it is impossible to appreciate the twists.

What kind of food does the Lime truck normally offer? The name gives no clue and I deleted the first episode. Devilicious? what is that other than implying calorie laden food? I know what Vegan food is but what were there original menu items? I would love to know. Why not allow viewers to get familiar with them first and THEN toss in some twists?

Tilden. I wasn't surprised to see Devilicious go home, but I'd have preferred it be the Boston truck. I just don't get why people would wait in line for a grilled cheese sandwich. Who can't make a grilled cheese sandwich on their own?
    The other trucks had curiously long lines too. I think the word spread that this show was filming in their town and people sought out the trucks, any truck. They wanted to see a TV show in operation and be a part of it. That is the only reason for any of the long lines. Some of them were over a block long!

Ikea must have been the furniture store. I cannot imagine any other store would have a crowd like that.

+ Reply to Thread