+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Great Food Truck Race

Re: The Great Food Truck Race

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4059839;
    Its shameless rip-off of The Amazing Race?
    But that's the thing. This show is not a rip-off of the Amazing Race, even if the concept sounds similar. What's this show about? Each week we'll go to a new city. You'll be given a limited amount of time and money to buy supplies and sell food, the rest is all up to you. the one who sells least is eliminated.

It does seem to have a bit of a similarity to Amazing Race in regards to going to a new location each week and about who gets eliminated and how. But that's about it. A foot race has nothing to do with selling food and having monetary totals about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4060017;
    I find things way more enjoyable, exciting and interesting when the teams are evenly matched so there isn't one dominate team that wins all the time.
    Me too. At this point, I think we all know who's going to win, unless there's a massive upset. It really would have been more entertaining if it weren't so predictable.

I actually think Grill 'Em All deserved to stay based on their Truck Stop wins. Truck Stops aren't based on luck, but on who has the better-tasting food. This is the Food Network, after all, so this competition can't be purely based on which truck is most strategic. Sure, Grill 'Em All's strategy sucked, but the judges liked their food better at the Truck Stop this week, and that has to count for something. And yes, they are only there because they won Truck Stops, but in those challenges, their product was superior, so based on that, I think they deserve to be at the end, even if they only won by $40. I would have preferred Spencer on the Go to be there instead, though.

In fact, I wish more of the competition had been based around the quality of the food rather than their business skills. Theoretically, a truck could be selling a completely awful-tasting product, but if they advertise it well, have good deals, and sell more, they'll still win. (Not implying anything bad about the NomNom truck, or any other truck, because all the food looks delicious.) However, since the competition is the way it is, NomNom obviously performed better than Grill 'Em All, and if/when they win, they deserve it.

I like Nom Nom and from looking over their website and seeing all the comments of their very loyal customers, I'd say it's more than just business skill or any underhanded thing making them win all so many times in a row. They have a superior product and a superior business know-how. Really a no-brainer why they are succeeding over the others.

I don't believe they actually used the term "foot race". They implied it. I wouldn't be surprised if the final challenge isn't to sell your way to the top and whomever gets there first with the most money or having sold the most wins.

I'm not sure how I would feel about that since it would negate all the selling they did through the boroughs. I'm sure there is some key element they are leaving out to just tease us that will tie it all together.

I wish Spencer On The Go was still in it, I can barely tolerate this other team and their poor sportsmanship (Grill Em All). They are just really nasty and bitter people and I want to see them lose and they look so unsavory. Sorry, but I would never buy anything from a group of guys who look like they hadn't bathed in days.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

I find things way more enjoyable, exciting and interesting when the teams are evenly matched so there isn't one dominate team that wins all the time.
    They did a good job with the editing, however. I was shocked to see that Grill em All could not come close, even with what appeared to be an unfair advantage.

I love to see NomNom squashing everyone. Love it! I want one of those sandwiches. They will be able to open a restaurant, if they choose, with this exposure. Good for them.

FORT Fogey

I'm with you about that. Nothing against the Nom Nom truck, but it's more interesting in any competition if there's more tension/excitement about who might win.

I'm not sure I'll even bother to watch the finale. Watching the same team win over and over again isn't all that much fun, and I can't stand Grill 'Em All. I'm sorry, but I just don't get what the big deal is about burgers and fries, and frankly, their burgers look huge and greasy and unappetizing. That special of theirs with the burger stuck between two grilled cheeses? Talk about a heart attack on a plate. I like a grilled cheese now and then, but that's literally overkill.

My other problem with this show is it's really more about selling than cooking. Clearly of the final three teams, Spencer on the Go were the more skilled cooks, and they varied their menu a bit more from stop to stop. The two final teams both make, well, sandwiches. They're probably absolutely great sandwiches (at least in the case of the Nom Nom truck), but I'm just not much of a sandwich person. At least not week after week after week. I'd rather watch shows where you aren't so sure what the menus are going to look like from one episode to the next. The only real cooking challenges were the truck stops, and I couldn't believe Grill 'Em All won the last one, as their plate looked awful. I like biscuits and gravy, and I wouldn't have touched theirs. And even blah cornbread has to be better than undercooked beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4060641;
    I'm with you about that. Nothing against the Nom Nom truck, but it's more interesting in any competition if there's more tension/excitement about who might win.

I'm not sure I'll even bother to watch the finale. Watching the same team win over and over again isn't all that much fun, and I can't stand Grill 'Em All. I'm sorry, but I just don't get what the big deal is about burgers and fries, and frankly, their burgers look huge and greasy and unappetizing. That special of theirs with the burger stuck between two grilled cheeses? Talk about a heart attack on a plate. I like a grilled cheese now and then, but that's literally overkill.

My other problem with this show is it's really more about selling than cooking. Clearly of the final three teams, Spencer on the Go were the more skilled cooks, and they varied their menu a bit more from stop to stop. The two final teams both make, well, sandwiches. They're probably absolutely great sandwiches (at least in the case of the Nom Nom truck), but I'm just not much of a sandwich person. At least not week after week after week. I'd rather watch shows where you aren't so sure what the menus are going to look like from one episode to the next. The only real cooking challenges were the truck stops, and I couldn't believe Grill 'Em All won the last one, as their plate looked awful. I like biscuits and gravy, and I wouldn't have touched theirs. And even blah cornbread has to be better than undercooked beans.
    Well said. I doubt I'll be watching the finale either. I think the race could have been way more interesting if they asked them to come up with variations on their menu or things like that each week. It got way too boring after awhile and I would kind of flip over to see what was happening, but then flip away again because it was same old same old even to the point of the winner.

Here's my thoughts:\
    Nom Nom has mad business skills & must have a prettty good product too, since they out sell the competition every week.
    Grill em all, I'd like to try their grilled cheese burger. I know it's a heart attack waiting to happen, but what can I say.
    Spencer on the Go, I think they survived so long because their food is priced higher than the other trucks food & they are true chefs.

Over all, I liked the show. I hope they do another season.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4060641;
    and I can't stand Grill 'Em All. I'm sorry, but I just don't get what the big deal is about burgers and fries, and frankly, their burgers look huge and greasy and unappetizing. That special of theirs with the burger stuck between two grilled cheeses? Talk about a heart attack on a plate. I like a grilled cheese now and then, but that's literally overkill.

You and I are like on the same wavelength.

But I'm watching the finale anyways.

Funny that they have to make $3,000 total to win and then be at the top of the Flat Iron Building... NomNom has already made more than that twice.

If they don't win, I will like punch the TV. Imagine how crushing that would be?

Bummer hate that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Grill Em All
    Won!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Nom NOM
    may have come in 2nd but they were the best and I hope their good PR will allow them to expand.

Omg, Grill Em All actually won? What the hell!? They are still losers in my book. They should have been out a LONG TIME AGO. And they are nowhere near gourmet (or as they say, "gormet" lol). Spencer's really should have been in the final 2.
    Last edited by Endit; 09-19-2010 at 11:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread