+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Great Food Truck Race

Re: The Great Food Truck Race

I have no problem with Nom Nom sweeping the prizes, as they have a superior product and business know-how. Kudos to them!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I think this has the most hilariously lame theme song. A bunch of stoned out sounding people yelling the words "Food Truck Race!"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4054864;
    What bothered me most about the beef butchering challenge was that Nom Nom didn't even try. Their leader automatically picks up the phone and starts making calls.
    How's using your brains instead of just your hands wrong? That's what they did. That, and some charm (although reality shows often love to portray people charming others into doing something as "manipulation" instead of it just being good gameplay).

I've only seen the last two episodes, but I adore the Nom Noms. The Reality show editing monkeys are trying to make them into bad guys though (you can tell their leader was practically led into making that statement about how they didn't see any real competition from the others via a heck of a leading question--thus in true reality show fashion, painting them as arrogant).

But in addition to it looking like wicked good food, they've shown brains in how they play, whereas the others just seem to stumble along and "wing it". Going to Central Market showed research and brains, and making the deal they seemed to with the store good execution. And Pinkberry was an inspired choice too. I know a lot of people may not know what Pinkberry is, but its a place which is always going to be crowded, likely to have people who'll eat Asian food, and who have disposable income.

I almost think the trip next episode to the little town might have been something the producers came up with on the fly to take them down a peg on the air, and get some variety in the results. They're going to be at a severe disadvantage there, and not just because they can't rely on clever location strategies. Their whole flavor profile may be completely intimidating to the locals there--folks who's last encounter with Vietnam might be that a few War vets might be hanging around the local VFW. The French guys, on the face of it, have a big hill to climb too, but people by default consider French food "fancy", and for a low price might try it just to be able to say they've had fancy food.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;4055588;
    I am really getting tired of Nom Nom. I want them to crash and burn (foodwise, I mean!). I'm not sure I'm "for" any of them, but I'm tired of Nom Nom sweeping the prizes and their attitude needs improvement.
    I admit I've never completely gotten this "punitive" aspect of reality show watching, where there's a tendency to want to punish people for success. Other than one obvious producer-led arrogant statement by Mika or Miko or whatever her name is, overall they've simply acted confident and professional. From the standpoint of making a reality show interesting, it may be boring if they keep winning (and that's no doubt why the next episode was "adjusted" to take the legs out from under Nom Nom somewhat), but I have only admiration for them so far as food professionals, and overall as effective driven well performing "contestants".
    Last edited by Krom; 09-06-2010 at 07:03 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Krom, the thing is that that comment by the NomNom girl is the most "arrogant" thing we've heard about the NomNom Truck members. And that's Jennifer, who is not the actual leader of the group. That would be Misa, unofficially at least, but I call her the leader, as well as those of each team who get the most screentime.

NomNom Truck, they are really good at this. Now, Krom, since you missed the first two episodes, here's what they did. In the first episode, they immediately called in to be allowed to set up shop at a farmer's market which is always packed, and also set up next to another food truck, which worked a deal with them. If customers brought the NomNom Truck a receipt from the local food truck, they would receive a discount in the NomNom Truck. In the second episode, where they made a little over 3,000 dollars after being given only 300 to start with, they set up shop in front of an ice cream and gelato shop (so people could get food and dessert all at once), which had protection from the elements in a conveniently placed roof, and also managed to get in touch with a local newspaper to be able to post an ad in the paper of what food they ahve and where they would be stationed. That and what you saw in the recent two episodes, you can tell why they're dominating this whole competition.

Man, was I furious at seeing Grill 'Em All mocking the NomNom Truck folks when they arrived at that location, not to mention the crowd. That's exactly what I hate most about owning a bar, people acting like such huge jerks. But yeah, the Grill 'Em All guys were hugely annoying, all high-fiving laughing really loud like retarded meatheads. Their attitudes stink, and the only reason they've made it this far was because of one lucky break at winning a challenge that saved them, and maybe also that their food, burgers, is the most common thing to buy at a food truck and thus one people will buy from. They don't have a single strategic bone in their bodies, I wish it would bite them already and send them home.

FORT Fogey

I almost think the trip next episode to the little town might have been something the producers came up with on the fly to take them down a peg on the air, and get some variety in the results.
    I agree with everything you said, Krom, except this. I am sure they mapped out this journey long before this show began. It takes a lot of work to set up a guest chef, stores to shop, the challenge and accomodations. Bringing a TV show to a town requires a lot of behind the scenes planning.

I missed the episode on Sunday and its' not like the entire week or at FoodNetwork.com. Do they even want people to see it? I ****ing HATE Networks that pull this crap. We want to see your show! I found it but in a way that NOBODY would consider. Seriously nobody.

I now hate Grill Em All. Figures that their main customers are drunk college bar hoppers. They have the food to match! I have been looking at it more closely and all I see are calories. Besides having no strategy, things they say don't even make sense! Like when the NomNom truck accidentily hit Grill Em All and one of them said "Their brand new truck got it's first whiskey ding". How stupid can you get!? They used "whiskey ding" 100% wrong in that sentence. And they were moving at 1mph or less when they hit. If there is any "damage" it will invisible. And that's what the bumper is MADE FOR.

NomNom - gimme a break! "One of my good friends lives in new orleans." -Misa. How much luck does Misa and this whole team have? Were they like some do-gooders in a previous life and now being rewarded? The 4th win in a row! How the heck will they be able to take advantage of all the trips they have won? Do they expire? You can only vacation so much till you get sick of it. And even if Grill Em All won the challenge, they still would be slightly ahead and not guaranteed 1st place. There comes a point where it's more than just luck or being good. Also when one of said "I haven't found a competitor I'm woried about yet." it sounded more like an observation rather than arrogance, and so far it has held true.

Spencer on the go was doomed to lose. You go to a pizza place and wait 10+ hours for the chef? Goodbye. They wasted a WHOLE DAY. I'm glad they're still in it but they were as reckless as the Banana people that went the first episode. They only made slightly over $500.
    Last edited by Endit; 09-10-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Finally caught the episode.
    Seems the only time they rerun it is on Sat. afternoons.
    Glad that Spencer is still in it. They seem to have great press in SF. I want one of those escargot lollipops!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4058988;
    Finally caught the episode.
    Seems the only time they rerun it is on Sat. afternoons.
    Glad that Spencer is still in it. They seem to have great press in SF. I want one of those escargot lollipops!
    Mmmm, so do I!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fanatic

The food truck episodes are first run Sundays at 9 p.m.

Darn it, I almost feel like not watching it tonight. I just got this really bad feeling that this tiny town will be the undoing of the NomNom Truck and they'll get eliminated. And if not them, then Spencer on the Go, who are also likeable. I hate to admit that Grim 'Em All will likely have the advantage here solely due to their product.

FORT Fogey

Rembrant, they are going to make it. The preview shows one of the NomNom girls lamenting that she doesn't want to go home. Dead giveaway they will survive. Spencer will probably win this challenge and that is the only way they can stay in.

+ Reply to Thread