+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Great Food Truck Race

FORT Fogey

Re: The Great Food Truck Race

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    The fact that Korilla was so comfortable putting that much extra money in makes me wonder if they had been doing this all along and the show staff finally caught on.
    I think production checked the till against the receipts each time. They have to be precise since there is a money prize.

I think they probably put money over the course of the show and it added up to 2700 extra and the production team probably had enough and wanted a hype ending, i think they put a few in and expected it to be taken as a calculated error and continue to do that when nothing was said and kept going till it totaled to 2700, there is no way they would put in that much at one time and expect to get away with it.

FORT Fogey

Wouldn't the show have to be checking receipts after every episode, in order to announce the amount of money each truck won during eliminations? I think they've done that all along, haven't they?

Of course, I suppose they might not have been checking the receipts against the tills when doing the totaling until something made them suspicious of what was going on with Korilla, which would explain the huge $2700 difference--it was a total of receipts being off for the whole run of the race, not just one night. However, if they did that, and made the announcement so it sounded like it was just that night that accounted for the whole $2700, they could be in a whole lot of trouble. First, they'd have basically lied by having given the impression that the entire $2700 difference occurred in one week. Second, if any of the other trucks managed to force an accounting week by week, and the cheating was happening since week one (or week whatever), then the trucks eliminated in those weeks could justifiably argue that they should not have been sent home when they were, since Korilla actually did beat Hodge Podge this week with corrected till totals and Korilla still got sent home for cheating and Hodge Podge got to stay an additional week, even though they had the worst results. Certainly the guy from Hodge Podge gave the impression in his reaction to the announcement that he thought they were checking the tills against the receipts every single time.

I'd like to think the show was smart enough to keep totals clear from week one just to avoid any potential trouble. Although it seems hugely stupid of Korilla to do what they did, I'd rather think they had a moment of unbelievable stupidity than that a show that's been on for two seasons hadn't bothered to figure out a correct accounting of receipts when that determines each week's winner. And really, how hard would it be to figure out the totals and check them against the receipts, considering that there aren't that many contestants to deal with, even in the very first weeks?
    Last edited by Tilden; 09-12-2011 at 07:21 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess View Post
    I think they probably put money over the course of the show and it added up to 2700 extra and the production team probably had enough and wanted a hype ending, i think they put a few in and expected it to be taken as a calculated error and continue to do that when nothing was said and kept going till it totaled to 2700, there is no way they would put in that much at one time and expect to get away with it.
    Ahhhhhhh, this makes sense. Tyler said he had a long night. That says they went over every challenge because it would not take long to go over one day's sales receipts. Something tipped them off and they had to review everything to make sure no one was eliminated because of this.

That said, how would spreading out $2700 over many challenges work? I suppose sometimes a truck won by a few hundred. It could have been that they padded the last challenge so much that it signaled them to look more closely. There is a certain thickness and heft to the pile of receipts that they handle so it may have been that simple.

We may never know.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 09-13-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Tyler made a point of saying that Korilla didn't need to cheat because they weren't going to be in last place even without the $2700. I don't think it was accumulated across the series...I think it was just that day. And I think they did it because they didn't have anywhere near the lines that they'd had in other cities, so they were afraid they might go home.

But $2700 is such a weird number. They had to have some idea of how they were doing (we've seen teams counting their cash boxes toward the end of the day before), and $5300 (or whatever they had) was a decent amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Tyler said he had a long night. That says they went over every challenge because it would not take long to go over one day's sales receipts. Something tipped them off and they had to review everything to make sure no one was eliminated because of this.
    I don't think Tyler had a long night because they were going over the receipts. My bet is that he isn't involved in that aspect of the job at all, probably just some personal assistant doing that work. His long night was probably due to the fact that once the problem was found, production had to talk among themselves to determine what the best course of action would be in dealing with the problem. There would probably be back and forth as to what the penalty would be and back and forth on whether the other "bottom" team should go as well and stuff like that.

I think it was stupid for Korilla to pull this off on a TV show. Its not like they didn't have camera there showing just how busy their truck was and how much they were taking in on most orders (I assume since they were able to do this at all they didn't have cameras there the entire time, unless they just waited until the camera team was taking b-roll footage.) Of course there would probably be sneakier ways to cheat like padding bills and putting in the amount of the pad at the end or have friends as customers order lots of stuff and not really give it to them. What they did wasn't to smart.

FORT Fogey

I've seen comments elsewhere suggesting that the show somehow set Korilla up. I find that even less believable than Korilla trying to get an extra $2700 past the show's producers, because if the show/network got caught tampering with the results in such an obvious way, the fallout from that would have been huge. It just wouldn't have been worth the risk, particularly since I don't think it ultimately matters that much to the network who wins. I certainly don't think that Korilla was so wildly hated by the viewers that they needed to be pushed off the show to save it, which is about the only reason I can come up with for a network or show's producers bothering to risk the show and network's reputation to try and pull a fast one to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I've seen comments elsewhere suggesting that the show somehow set Korilla up. I find that even less believable than Korilla trying to get an extra $2700 past the show's producers, because if the show/network got caught tampering with the results in such an obvious way, the fallout from that would have been huge. It just wouldn't have been worth the risk, particularly since I don't think it ultimately matters that much to the network who wins. I certainly don't think that Korilla was so wildly hated by the viewers that they needed to be pushed off the show to save it, which is about the only reason I can come up with for a network or show's producers bothering to risk the show and network's reputation to try and pull a fast one to get rid of them.
    Plus the Korilla guys looked guilty, not at all surprised and didn't say one thing. It was pretty obvious they were guilty. I think they thought they'd lost and figured they might as well try cheating.

As for Hodge Podge and the terrible sandwiches, they said had spent most of their money on good meat and my guess is they didn't have much left to spend on supplies when they were told to go vegetarian. The other truck already had the supplies for grilled cheese and had spent their seed money on good cheese and bread so they were set to go. I really doubt Chris would have chosen to have cheap bread and cheese if he'd had a choice.

FORT Fogey

This bumps they give are really dumb. Obviously every week one of the teams is going to be hit harder than the others, or have it easier than the others. For instance meat being taken from a grilled cheese truck no big deal, but from a barbeque truck a big deal. If they take the cook from Hodge Podge a lot worse than taking one from Lime or Roxys because the two girls look clueless while the other two trucks seem to share the job. I think they should just give them money and let them make menus and see who sells the most.
    Shoepie and Allie like this.

FORT Regular

Wow, I just feel I have to weigh in here. For the record, I never liked Korilla. But when Tyler announced that they cheated and the one Korilla guy said "He made us look bad," to me, it seemed that comment was aimed at one of the other Korilla guys, not Tyler. Now, I absolutely could be wrong and I'll have to go back and watch again, but that's how I initially took it. It did seem to me that two of them were embarrassed by the actions of the other and that they had no idea their buddy slipped that money in.

I also 100% agree that they should spend a little more time describing the truck's menus and hearing more reviews of the dishes to the audience. Part of what I like about watching the show is thinking to myself, "which truck would I want to eat from?" And if I have no idea what the trucks are serving, it leaves me to have to root for someone just based on their personalities and the way their truck looks. And also do a better job explaining what's allowable and what isn't. I was very disappointed when Korilla opted out of that challenge and that was perfectly fine. Someone here said it best, it went against the spirit of the challenge, or something to that effect. This is a challenge-based show, they should be required to participate.

A couple things I do not seem to mind at all are people using the connections they have to get their trucks stocked and to get locations. To me, that's what makes it the "food truck race". I think giving them free reign on that stuff gives the trucks the opportunity to show their resourcefulness, which is probably one of the biggest marks of a successful food truck - right ahead of having great food. Even if you have awesome food, if you can't pick a good location or can't keep your truck stocked, you're not going to make much money. On the other hand, if you pick great locations and have plenty of supplies, and have okay food, you're probably going to make good money. And not to mention the marketing and all that, which they also have free reign on. I think in the first season, Nom Nom, in one of the first challenges, made some calls and got a mention in the newspaper that they were going to be in town. That was a huge advantage. I don't see how that's much different than getting a discount buying food from someone you know that owns a restaurant. It seems this show is more about resourcefulness than simply food quality. If it were simply about food quality, it would just be a Top Chef on wheels, and I think that would be kinda boring since they already have a bunch of shows like that ~ and we can't taste the food anyway. Just my two cents.

I agree with everyone that these speed bump challenges are ridiculous. It seems they are more of a disservice to the customer than anything. If I were standing in line for an hour for a particular dish, then the truck had to quit serving it, or the truck had to move, etc. I would be PISSED off. Honestly, I don't get it. I just don't get it.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that was super annoyed by Seabirds!! I did get the feeling they felt all high and mighty about their vegan-ness, so I'm very happy to see them go. I've probably eaten a ton of food that would qualify as "vegan", but if anyone ever called it vegan food, I would have probably stayed away from it. When I think of vegan, I think of hippies and bad-smelling farts and I don't want that.

Roxy's, $9 for a grilled cheese, you've got to be joking.

Lime Truck, I'm still confused on what their menu is, although that corn cake thing did look really delicious!

I'm rooting for Hodge Podge. That guy seems to just love what he does. He got so excited at the pig challenge and the sausage challenge. For me, he's fun to watch.
    Last edited by LRain; 09-18-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    Shoepie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread