+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Thintervention with Jackie Warner

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Thintervention with Jackie Warner

Now, that is workable.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4059320;
    I've never been a fan of exercise where people like to verbally abuse you and scream at you, and torture you. I've got to have fun when I'm exercising or I'm not going to do it. My friends have accused me of being a princess, but you just cannot talk to me any old way, and get a positive response from me. Nobody ever did that throughout my life, and I will not pay you to do it. I just think there's something wrong with people who don't mind being talked to like these people do.
    I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4060440;
    I've just never responded well to people who talk nasty to me. My family didn't do it, and I just never learned to put up with it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it in military service basic training. I've just always found that I work myself harder, or as hard as I've needed to, if I'm having a good time. Cornholio, I never meant to imply that there is something wrong with you....my apologies. I'm just wired differently, I guess.
    I agree with you on being spoken to in what seems to be an abusive manner/tone. I grew up in a very abusive enviroment and the LAST thing I would want is to go back to that kind of treatment. I am SO glad to be away from that!

I've never watched any of these weight loss shows before. This is the first one I was persuaded to, when I saw that Jeana was on it.
    I don't go for the drill sergeant method, either. Is it common in all these shows?
    Also, does anybody know if these weight loss participants manage to keep the weight off with these methods?

I'm surprised at some of the weight loss goals these people have, though. If Jeana only wants to lose 25 pounds - I think she needs to lose more if she wants to look like her playmate days - she could do something like WW and exercise which seems a lot more conducive to long term weight loss.
    Also, if these methods are any good, these people should have a much higher weight loss initially. Then, it starts to taper off after the first few weeks. That's well documented.
    Nikki - the Australian lady - just cracks me up. I think she's my favorite - just a perfect contestant for a reality show. She makes the best comments.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4060731;
    I've never watched any of these weight loss shows before. This is the first one I was persuaded to, when I saw that Jeana was on it.
    I don't go for the drill sergeant method, either. Is it common in all these shows?
    Also, does anybody know if these weight loss participants manage to keep the weight off with these methods?

I'm surprised at some of the weight loss goals these people have, though. If Jeana only wants to lose 25 pounds - I think she needs to lose more if she wants to look like her playmate days - she could do something like WW and exercise which seems a lot more conducive to long term weight loss.
    Also, if these methods are any good, these people should have a much higher weight loss initially. Then, it starts to taper off after the first few weeks. That's well documented.
    Nikki - the Australian lady - just cracks me up. I think she's my favorite - just a perfect contestant for a reality show. She makes the best comments.
    I've always thought that "professionals" in the weight loss business recommend that you should lose weight slowly in order to have a greater chance of keeping it off. It seems like all these tv shows are a race to see who can lose the weight the fastest. And from what I've seen, all the weight loss shows seem to have someone who acts like a drill sergeant towards the participants. But...I could have missed a few that are not like that....

Thanks, Holly.
    Like I said, I've not watched them before, but they seem to follow that format. I don't like the fast weight loss idea, either. The only weigh to really lose and keep it off is to go gradually. With any weight loss program, people will lose more at the beginning, especially if they're much bigger to begin with, and then they should be gradually tapering off in terms of pounds.
    That's what I hate about rapid weight loss diets - it's just a temporary fix and not a way of life.
    I don't like that Jackie works them to such a point that they look like they're going to pass out. I believe in working up a swet, but that doesn't mean you need to kill people in the process.
    That scene in Griffith Park was way too much.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4060440;
    I've just never responded well to people who talk nasty to me. My family didn't do it, and I just never learned to put up with it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it in military service basic training. I've just always found that I work myself harder, or as hard as I've needed to, if I'm having a good time. Cornholio, I never meant to imply that there is something wrong with you....my apologies. I'm just wired differently, I guess.
    In that respect, I'm wired just as you are, prhoshay. I do not respond to rudeness, yelling, or any attempt to belittle me. Kindess, encouragement, and positive reinforcement will work for me. I find these trainers we see on tv to be nothing more than bullies. It it works for some people who don't mind it, that's fine for them, but I'd never pay anyone to treat me that way.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I just watched this for the first time today and I have to say, it's pretty bad when Jackie isn't the most irritating person on the show. That guy with the bandana fetish is a jackass and Nikki needs to cut the alcohol jokes.

I guess I didn't realize you could get Lymphodema in your arms. I've only heard of it in the lower extremities. I've known several people who've dealt with it in their legs and it's definitely nothing to take lightly.

I got a chuckle out of the fact that the first commercial in the first commercial break was for Pepperidge Farms. Sort of like where there's a Mel's Diner next door to a Jenny Craig.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4060735;
    I've always thought that "professionals" in the weight loss business recommend that you should lose weight slowly in order to have a greater chance of keeping it off. It seems like all these tv shows are a race to see who can lose the weight the fastest. And from what I've seen, all the weight loss shows seem to have someone who acts like a drill sergeant towards the participants. But...I could have missed a few that are not like that....

That's the thing I don't like about these shows. Unless you start off weighing 400 or 500 pounds, a weekly weight loss of more than a couple of pounds is considered too fast. You are supposed to make changes in your eating and exercise habits that you can maintain for the long term. Otherwise, as soon as you get off of your crash diet and start eating like a normal person again, you are going to put it back on.

last night, Jackie was oh so disappointed in people who only lost like 3 pounds.

This is the first one of these shows I have really watched. Mostly because that Jillian person frightens me!

FORT Fan

That is also what I found disappointing about her reaction to this week's weight loss. Sure there were some people (i.e. Jeana) who slacked off and lost only a pound, but it was highly unlikely that they would as a group achieve the same results as the previous work. Yet Jackie seemed to believe that as a group they had slacked off and she threatened to be a real b#tch if they didn't improve.

I saw her in her Work Out series and think that she lacks empathy. I think this is the main difference between the Biggest Loser and her show. I think that Bob and Jillian work the contestants hard, but have more empathy for what they are struggling with and the challenges they are facing.

+ Reply to Thread