+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do? (ABC)

FORT Fogey

Re: What Would You Do? (ABC)

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4110212;
    I was very concerned that only 1 person seemed to say something to the doctors who were getting drunk on their way to their next surgery. I was very surprised that only the 1 woman came forward.
    I didn't watch the segment about the doctors who were getting drunk. I was without medical insurance for years. I was without medical insurance for so long that being concerned about doctors on their way to surgery is not part of my world.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4110212;
    I watched the show for the second time.
    As far as the leashing portion, I've never seen anyone do that before, but I have heard of far too may people leave their kids and / or dogs in the car with no windows open.
    Now, that is something that, If I saw it, would have to call both the police and CPS on it.
    I was very concerned that only 1 person seemed to say something to the doctors who were getting drunk on their way to their next surgery. I was very surprised that only the 1 woman came forward.
    I used to watch these shows more often. I was always more interested in the people intervene in domestic violence cases.

I have been at a store when it was incredibly hot to find someone left their little dog in a car with the windows up. I immediately got the store manager and they were calling police when the woman finally showed up. Created a large scene actually.

It doesn't surprise me someone wouldn't get involved with the doctors due to the power differential there.

I'm also surprised just locally where I am how many people let drunk drivers get into cars with children in them and don't say anything.

FORT Fogey

The most recent episode started out with a drunk guy about to drive a car. That was about the fifth or sixth time they had that scenario. That's an important issue, but they need more of a variety of scenarios. The second scenario was about a young man who was going to tell his parents that he's gay. It was going to take place in a restaurant. I assume that everyone would be shouting at each other: people shout in most of the scenarios to attract attention. I didn't watch that segment. I don't think strangers should meddle in that type of family discussion. The third segment was about a mother loudly criticizing her daughter who was practicing figure skating. The figure skater was about sixteen years old. Some mothers are critical. I don't think strangers should meddle: it won't change people's deeply ingrained behavior. Then the figure skating teacher loudly criticized the girl. If this was real life, the girl would get a new teacher: she wouldn't put up with abuse from someone who could be replaced. But, why have a scenario at an ice skating rink: how many people hang out at ice skating rinks? The loud critical comments always sound fake: they need a new writer.

FORT Fogey

On one episode, one of the scenarios consisted of two guys in drag in a restaurant. When the guys walked in, a few people glanced at them. Then the waiter, who really was an actor, shouted at them that they were disgusting. Of course, they can't have an effective scenario if people just glance at those who are different. On the most recent episode, one of the scenarios started off with two women standing up and kissing each other over a table in a restuaurant. I turned my TV off. The show, "True Beauty," had some scenarios that were more basic, less contrived. One of the scenarios on that show consisted of a homeless man's shopping cart tipping over. Another scenario on "True Beauty," consisted of a group of teens who were eating at one table. There was another teen who was eating alone at another table. The woman who ended up winning the contest, sat down next to the teen who was eating alone.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 12-18-2010 at 10:04 PM.

I don't get a chance to watch this often, as I work on the night it is on, but the last show I did catch was about abuse. The guy was being nasty to his 'girlfriend' in a restaurant. They used two scenarios...one where the woman was dressed conservatively and the other was dressed in a more revealing manner. I was shocked at how many patrons thought the woman with the cleavage probably deserved it. I was battered by my first husband and to sit and watch all those people ignore the situation was heartbreaking for me.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

They finally had some new scenarios on the most recent episode. The first one was about teens harassing older people, played by actors. One of the actors was 94 years old. The second scenario was about teens who dine and dash. I saw that in a movie once, but I've never seen it in real life. I didn't watch that segment. The third scenario was about EMT's who won't help a woman while they are on a break. There were two real life cases where women who were having asthma attacks died because an EMT and a police officer wouldn't help. The fourth scenario took place in an antique store. An actor dropped a vase that was supposed to be worth 1,400 dollars, and tried to get customers to help her get away with what she did. I've never been in an antique store. I've seen a lot of people in grocery stores knock over and break things such as bottles of spaghetti sauce. They never pay for what they break, but what they break isn't that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher;4120298;
    The most recent episode started out with a drunk guy about to drive a car. That was about the fifth or sixth time they had that scenario. That's an important issue, but they need more of a variety of scenarios. The second scenario was about a young man who was going to tell his parents that he's gay. It was going to take place in a restaurant. I assume that everyone would be shouting at each other: people shout in most of the scenarios to attract attention. I didn't watch that segment. I don't think strangers should meddle in that type of family discussion. The third segment was about a mother loudly criticizing her daughter who was practicing figure skating. The figure skater was about sixteen years old. Some mothers are critical. I don't think strangers should meddle: it won't change people's deeply ingrained behavior. Then the figure skating teacher loudly criticized the girl. If this was real life, the girl would get a new teacher: she wouldn't put up with abuse from someone who could be replaced. But, why have a scenario at an ice skating rink: how many people hang out at ice skating rinks? The loud critical comments always sound fake: they need a new writer.
    JMO from observing many a youth sporting activity: I go to a public rink to skate. In far northern New England where I live, it's a popular year round activity. The point being, in any sport where a parent is criticizing a child's performance people need to get involved before these kids wind up broken. Some of these parents are just plain unstable. Anyone remember the mother who tried to have her daughters cheer leading completion murdered so her daughter would earn a spot on the team? Little league parents are notorious for not only screaming at their children but for chewing out the coaches. One hockey dad killed another in a dispute. Last week a high school basketball player attacked a referee right in the middle of the game because he didn't like the call. These are serious situations which escalate because strangers don't think it's their place to call in to question the behavior of a parent in a youth sport situation. As for a critical coach, a lot of parents believe a critical, insulting coach is an asset, not a deterrent, which is why they are hired in droves, not fired in droves. Bobby Knight, a college basketball coach used to throw chairs at his players and at officials, but rather than being held responsible for that kind of horrible behavior, he was applauded for it and parents actually wanted their children to get into his program because he was a `winner.' When he was finally let go, many parents were angry and came to his defense! Meanwhile, the child suffers under these conditions. In fact, players who speak out about being brutalized by coaches are often ostracized and considered `weak', snitches and crybabies unable to man up. It's all about pleasing the adults despite feeling like a failure inside. It's about out of control parents , coaches and so forth teaching their kids that's it's perfectly acceptable to disrespect a sporting official (a behavior which carries on into everyday life). So, I think it's extraordinarily important for people to speak up at youth sporting events. I have.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

FORT Fogey

On the most recent episode, there was a segment about a group of teens who were drinking in public, which is something that I've never seen. Another segment was about elderly shoplifters. A shoplifter, who was played by an actress, stole around fifteen items: the show wants their scenarios to be noticeable. Most of the shoppers either didn't say anything or told the manager what the shoplifter was doing. There was one shopper who told the shoplifter that she would be willing to give her money so that she could buy her groceries. The woman who offered to help said that she's a former police officer.

FORT Newbie

The guy in the Mean Girls episode that was responding with the baby carriage was the same guy who responded in the pedophile episode last. Do you think this show is fake, or do you think it just so happens that the same guy ran into the show twice by accident since they film in the same area?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TV viewer;4150658;
    The guy in the Mean Girls episode that was responding with the baby carriage was the same guy who responded in the pedophile episode last. Do you think this show is fake, or do you think it just so happens that the same guy ran into the show twice by accident since they film in the same area?
    The show could be completely fake; or maybe the guy noticed a loud, contrived situation and wanted to be on TV again. In most of the segments, the actors are projecting their voices as if they were in a play, and the dialogue sounds fake. I don't always pay close attention to the segments, especially the ones that seem too fake. If they show reruns, I'll have to pay close attention to the two scenarios that you wrote about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast