+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1044Likes

Thread: MasterChef

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: MasterChef

I used to watch Hell's Kitchen but I haven't watched the last few seasons. It became such a farce of untalented, loudmouth jerks I couldn't bear to watch anymore. MasterChef is at least better than Hell's Kitchen.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

I am wondering if it repeats, I thought I recorded it last night
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    The other thing that bothered me, actually made me mad as hell. Bime's dish that he auditioned with, the mofongo with shrimp, which looked quite good and Gordon and Graham certainly liked it well enough. But then Bastianich, who seems to have really upped the levels of smug jerk this season (and it's just starting!) made himself look like an ignorant a-hole by calling Bime a faker and saying the dish was some "shrimp scampi with plantain thrown in there and he was calling it something else). I wanted to punch him in the larynx! As a Puertorican myself, I was offended to the nth degree. How is this supposedly culinary savvy guy (who ain't even a chef) judging a cooking competition and he doesn't know what is one of, if not the, most iconic dish in Puertorican cuisine? Man, I'm still seething.
    That bugged the you know what out of me too. I have eaten it before, I'm Dominican and we eat it. What an insult.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    The auditions weren't that interesting, but there were some genuinely likeable people whom I hope make it into the top 18. My favorites right now, in order of appearance in the episodes, are Adriana, Bime, Jessie, Sasha and Luca, who I'm happy to see return.

Two things I didn't care for, though. One, too much emphassis by the judges on the whole issue about "you're too nice, the competition will eat you alive and you'll fold" and also "I just don't think you're passionate enough". I absolutely hate it when they do that. They should just if the food tastes good and leave it at that.

The other thing that bothered me, actually made me mad as hell. Bime's dish that he auditioned with, the mofongo with shrimp, which looked quite good and Gordon and Graham certainly liked it well enough. But then Bastianich, who seems to have really upped the levels of smug jerk this season (and it's just starting!) made himself look like an ignorant a-hole by calling Bime a faker and saying the dish was some "shrimp scampi with plantain thrown in there and he was calling it something else). I wanted to punch him in the larynx! As a Puertorican myself, I was offended to the nth degree. How is this supposedly culinary savvy guy (who ain't even a chef) judging a cooking competition and he doesn't know what is one of, if not the, most iconic dish in Puertorican cuisine? Man, I'm still seething.
    That bothered me too. Though I have never had the pleasure of eating mofongo I know damn well what it is and shrimp scampi has nothing to do with it!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I am wondering if it repeats, I thought I recorded it last night
    MasterChef Season 4 Episode 1 (US, 2013) - YouTube

Here it is on youtube. Entire episode with no commercials.

I "liked" your post to bring you here to see this.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 05-24-2013 at 07:36 AM.

As a fan of Luca last season, I was happy to see him again. I didn't have a problem with him rating his dish low. It shows humility and an aknowledgement that there is room to grow instead of the overwhelming hubris of so many of these amateur chefs who say their food is a 9 or 10.

I adored Jordan (the one who lost his mom to brain cancer) and really enjoyed seeing the judges discuss his dish as they swarmed around to snarf it up after he left. They couldn't get enough! that's the part of the show I wish we could see more of. Not the controlled, scripted for drama comments from the judges to the contestants but the ad hoc discussion of the food between the experts.

The rest - meh. BUT I couldn't get over that one woman who wouldn't stop talking and insisting how her food was so good an healthy blah blah blah. I wanted to smack her.
    dzigner likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    MasterChef Season 4 Episode 1 (US, 2013) - YouTube

Here it is on youtube. Entire episode with no commercials.

I "liked" your post to bring you here to see this.
    Oh thank Shoepie I never thought to look there- much appreciated
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I decided to PVR this show, as I love Gordon Ramsey. But all it did was make me like the Australian version so much more. Why does the US version have to be more about manufactured drama and stunt casting than it is about cooking? The judges in the AU version, Matt, George and Gary, are never mean, give constructive criticism, and are so supportive and encouraging. No, there aren't flame throwers or tractors or road kill or 6-inch heels or BREAST MILK for heaven's sake!!! All there is is talented cooks, great challenges, and delicious-looking (for the most part!) food.

I found myself cringing through most of the show. Like a few of the contestants (loved the sassy black woman who I am pretty sure made the bald judge blush) but the road kill guy with the crazy eyes and the tail hanging off the back of his pants (what the heck?) was just OTT. I hope it gets better. For those of you who have watched both versions of the show (US and AU) please tell me, does it get better?
    pikachu likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wish I had seen the AU version of the show, sweetpea. It sounds ideal!
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

From what I have heard about the Australian show it seems that while similar in general style and concept, the structure is different enough that you can't really compare the two. I heard the AU version had more episodes with something like instructional shows where the contestants worked with the judges to learn a style or technique that was then part of the weekly challenge.

Anyone who has watched this show for more than one season has speculated about how the contestants are able to make certain challenge dishes when they are home cooks who maybe specialize in a certain area. Like someone who is primarily a baker isn't necessarily going to have a souffle recipe or technique they can draw from. Or if you mainly make savory dishes, how can you be expected to make a 7 layer coconut cake from scratch, etc. etc. So we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes between shows.

For me, the auditions are not the draw of this show (although I enjoy hearing the judges discuss the food as I mentioned previously). Once we get into the Top 12 or however many and they really start cooking is when it gets interesting for me.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread