+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Born to Diva blows away AI!

Yeah, I watched that show once...everyone on there annoyed me. Not only did I not like their voices, all of them had HORRIBLE personalities. They all thought they were the best and they put each other down. The fact that AI doesnt do that makes me like it even more.
    Ruben = #1

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    I actually saw this show a few times and, honestly, was blown away by how BAD some of these girls were. They all reminded me of Juanita. Lots of loud whining and a GREAT big attitude to go with it. Of course, that is just MHO.

<--- don't hate on Jumpy.
    ~*~ Maji *~

Originally posted by katerina

For some reason I just don't dig the female singing voice anywhere near as much as I like the male singing voice. No offense intended to any women - just major personal preference.
    I am exactly the same katerina.
    Much prefer male voices to female ones.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Yeah, like ruben and clay
    Ruben = #1

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    This turned out to be a pretty easy show to check out. Like MTV, they replay episodes a million times over. I set the Tivo to record them, and it got the whole season within a day or so.

Anyway, I do agree with a lot of the comments made here (a lot of shout-happy contestants, several deplorably nauseating personalities, little variety among the singers). But if you look at the 5 finalists, all the girls were not only very talented, but were quite endearing. They werent bad-diva like at all. One of them was supporting her family in Nigeria for pete's sake. Performance-wise, 2 of them, in particular, were just plain incredible! I think either of them could have won this year's AI. And one of them (Tamaralynn I think is her name) had such an amazing voice that she could have definitely given Kelly a run for the money.

If you're marginally interested, you should check out the episode called "Diva Boot Camp." The last 15 or so minutes has all of 5 of them performing and it's very impressive. With other "regional" episodes, you'll have to sit through a bunch of really annoying people to get to the good stuff.

Anyway, thanks for pointing the show out Anna. It was definitely worth the time.

Originally posted by BobDobolina
    Performance-wise, 2 of them, in particular, were just plain incredible! I think either of them could have won this year's AI. And one of them (Tamaralynn I think is her name) had such an amazing voice that she could have definitely given Kelly a run for the money.
    Tarralyn Ramsey is the one you mean. She's recorded gospel. She was a really, really terrific performer vocally. Tomey Sellars was everything Carmen would love to be and more. Amazing performances from both of these women. I saw that Diva Boot camp episode as well.

What I noticed was that they had a stronger array of talent behind the show than AI. I'm sure AI is doing ok with their staff of stylists and so on but Divas seems to be a higher level. Certainly when it comes to the vocal coach. It just seems like the Diva's team might've been able to polish some, Trenyce especially, more than the AI crew did. I don't know if that's from lack of effort, lack of motivation or lack of understanding. I mean AI's team has really helped Clay. But it didn't do much for some others like Josh who could really use a vocal coach to tune that strong and pleasant voice of his.

It just seems the Divas group came to the show more polished than the AI dozen as a whole (with a couple exceptions). Perhaps it's just the nature of AI to be more "fluff"/"recording star" oriented than really looking for a *superstar*.

I think on some level Simon was telling a few, like Vanessa and Clay that your talent exceeds the scope of this show. And that's certainly true for Vanessa, she's an *entertainer* not just a recording artist. Clay, too, as we're all pretty aware, would be quite good on Broadway which isn't to say he can't be a recording artist like Streisand or Heather Headley or Bette Midler too but that he's *more* than they're looking for in the scope of the American Idol competition.

Ruben is a very good fit for AI in terms of his career being pretty limited to recording artist. It's not a bad thing, mind you.

Maybe I'm just too nervous for Clay to think. I want him to win to get the recognition I feel he deserves but want him to lose so he's not shafted with bad songs and a stigmatised "tv-made" career.

Originally posted by John
    It just bugs me that anyone actually aspires to be a diva. A diva is not a good thing in my book.

To me, a "diva" is someone who thinks they're so talented their sh*t doesn't stink, and they have a right to act like they're better than the rest of the world. It's just BS.

Just because someone has talent in one thing doesn't make them entitled to think they're better than the rest of us overall. In fact, the attitude itself brings them down a notch as far as I'm concerned.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by BobDobolina
    Anyway, I do agree with a lot of the comments made here (a lot of shout-happy contestants, several deplorably nauseating personalities, little variety among the singers). But if you look at the 5 finalists, all the girls were not only very talented, but were quite endearing. They werent bad-diva like at all. One of them was supporting her family in Nigeria for pete's sake. Performance-wise, 2 of them, in particular, were just plain incredible! I think either of them could have won this year's AI. And one of them (Tamaralynn I think is her name) had such an amazing voice that she could have definitely given Kelly a run for the money.
    Exactly. It's more a R&B style of music than Pop, but these girls can sing. And, other than a couple who had really bad personalities (Trellini and Hoochie-ana or whatever her real name was). The five girls who made the Finals were definitely the nicest out there. And since they're competing to sing on Divas Live, they are supposed to have that riff-like voice. Of course, they are primarily doing them very well, something most of the AI contestants couldn't carry off. Of course, AI has a greater entertainment value, with audience voting, etc., but talent-wise, I think Born to Diva has them hands-down. All five of the finalists could sing circles around Clay, in my opinion.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    That particular episode is on tomorrow at both noon and 10:00PM if you're interested. I'd recommend at least watching the last 20 minutes.

I agree that some of the girls on the show had HORRIBLE attitudes, and some of the semi-finalists were *not* great IMO... but I think that several of the finalists were amazing... In the final showcase, other than the Una girl, they were all amazing... I think that Sasha Allen should have made it over Tomey though, but I guess she had her issues with the lawyer, kind of like the AMAZING girl from Philly that didn't want to sign the contract... makes you wonder what it had in it
    "It's still cool to be sane. You're just supposed to be sane and medicated ." - Article from the New York Magazine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast