+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Born to Diva blows away AI!

Don't Worry It's Just Me! falloutbey's Avatar
    IMO, girls are A LOT more entertaining when it comes to just singing and performance on stage and yes its definately personal preference. I also think it has to do with gender, I think guys find girls more entertaining and girls find guys more entertianing generally, but maybe its just me! I truely believe that Tamyra and Kelly were totally more entertaining than Clay or Ruben. Girls just have more flaver and more range IMO, they can belt better and dance better. Guys are kind of boring and their voices don't have as much range as really good girl singers, their voices are just nice, their not breathtaking. I would agree that Clay is an exception to that rule, but if you put him up against Kelly or Tamyra, he's not as good, IMO. Though, I think if it was to come down to Kelly and Clay on American Idol, I think Clay would get more votes because I think American Idol has more women and little girls watching than they do males.

You're Still The One! Olivia909's Avatar
    That's cool, JustJoe!

I guess we just have totally different opinions, which is great! We can agree to disagree.

I just find guys that can really sing VERY attractive and appealing. Take Clay for example. I LOOOOVE his voice. It's so pure, beautiful and amazing.

Josh Groban is another guy whose got a voice that I really, reallyyyy like. Oh...and I really, really enjoy Rob Thomas' voice and music. I love Billy Joel too.

I would much rather listen to them over any female singers anyday.

While I do like Kelly and think she has a great voice...I just don't find myself in a daze and mezmerized when she sings. That's what Clay does to me.

Overall, I just prefer male voices. Maybe that's cuz I'm a girl.

C'mon ladies...you all know you love a man that can sing!
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

Next stop: Billboard #1 NewClayFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Olivia909
    I'm with you on that one!

I just did a quick skim of my CD collection and never realized how few "female" CDs I have.
    "How many more times do I have to prove to you people that I cannot dance?"

Re: Born to Diva blows away AI!

Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    I have to say it, but if you have watched Born to Diva on VH1, EVERY SINGLE ONE of the 50 Semi-Finalists blew away anyone on American Idol! If you haven't watched it, you really ought to, because AI contestants would give these girls no competition!

Please that show sucks and ain't none of them messing with Trenyce or Tamyra
    Mariah TLC Lil Kim Christina Jennifer Hudson Guy

Don't Worry It's Just Me! falloutbey's Avatar
    I agree james. I can't really pin point what makes all those girls on Born To Diva soooo bad and not nearly as talented. They all almost have bad attitudes about being a diva and they are so full of themselves and they over sing every song! The way they sing is so annoying.. they all kind of sing like Mary J Blidge, to the extreme! Their notes are all over the place and they use those stupid hang motions when they hit the big notes. None of those girls have the real raw talent as most of the AI contestants.

Originally posted by Seishi
    Hadn't heard of the show before reading it here. I am curious but I'll think a skip it.

But I had a thought, are all of the contestants on the show women? And following that thread, is there such a thing as a male 'diva'? Elton John comes to mind or maybe Neil Diamond but neither of them have that 'bring down the roof' voice. Stevie Wonder is another guess. Any thoughts?
    Well, diva is actually historically an unkind description. VH1 has turned it to mean something else. Pavarotti is very diva if you look at his tour rider and he has the pipes to go with it. Elton is also diva when it comes to his mood swings and while surgery to his vocal cords (in '86 following the "Live in Australia" tour to remove admittedly pot smoking related growths which is why is voice is so rough on that CD) cut his range (but strengthened his voice) which has also naturally lowered with age, he's probably a better singer overall since sobering up in '90.

IMO, it's hard, if not impossible, to compare males and females when you're talking about a 'bring down the roof' voice for the simple fact of biology.

You'll never get a male with (diva) woman's range unless you're talking about castratti (literally, a castrated male).

The best you'll probably find among men with their parts intact is someone like Pavarotti who can hit C above high C in full voice (not just falsetto) which is not common even among opera singers. You aren't really going to find a voice like that in the pop scene which these days is sadly defined by guys who couldn't really carry Clay's shoes much less Pavarotti's.

Sometimes you have a pop cross-over like "pop-opera" singer Russell Watson in the UK but his voice talent isn't really showcased on a pop song (such as Diane Warren's "Faith of the Heart", covered by Watson as the theme song for "Enterprise" the UPN) compared to an aria like the classic Nessun Dorma.

Interesting regarding females liking male singers more and vice versa. My 2 favorite singers are female and I'm a female. Although I'm not a fan of the music she sings, I think Barbara Streisand has the most amazing voice. (go ahead and laugh) Then I think Judy Garland had a mesmerizing voice also. That said I think Michael Jackson's performances during his peak were amazing. My CD collection is split in half guys, half girls.

Now maybe when people are young (teens) they favor the opposite sex singers and performers, but I think you grow out of that and just like whose voice speaks to you. I like Clay best on this show, but I don't really think it has anything to do with him being male. Right now my 2 favorite CD's are Kelly's and Josh Groban's. Now if someone is going to sing to me privately one-on-one, that's another story!
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Originally posted by Olivia909
    That's cool, JustJoe!

I guess we just have totally different opinions, which is great! We can agree to disagree.

I just find guys that can really sing VERY attractive and appealing. Take Clay for example. I LOOOOVE his voice. It's so pure, beautiful and amazing.

Josh Groban is another guy whose got a voice that I really, reallyyyy like. Oh...and I really, really enjoy Rob Thomas' voice and music. I love Billy Joel too.

I would much rather listen to them over any female singers anyday.

While I do like Kelly and think she has a great voice...I just don't find myself in a daze and mezmerized when she sings. That's what Clay does to me.

Overall, I just prefer male voices. Maybe that's cuz I'm a girl.

For some reason I just don't dig the female singing voice anywhere near as much as I like the male singing voice. No offense intended to any women - just major personal preference.

My CD collection is almost entirely males, although I do enjoy No Doubt, some Pink, etc.

Probably more due to my choice of music than anything, I would say.

I've always been drawn to strong, pure voices (Julie Andrews, Karen Carpenter) or voices with power and character (Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond) which is probably part of the reason I like Clay so much. I think he has both.

To keep this on topic, I haven't seen the Diva show, but from the majority of posts here, I haven't missed much.
    - "American celebrities have an amazing amount of influence on the way America thinks, feels and acts. I think that such influences should be used in the most positive way possible." - Clay Aiken
    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast