+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair Battle Spectacular - Oxygen

Hair Battle Spectacular - Oxygen

Premieres: Tue, August 10 10/9c on Oxygen

Looks interesting! Now....is this the Brooke from DWTS and Rockstar or is this the one who was married to somebody famous? I always get them mixed up (by name).

Fantasy hair is all about pushing the limits of traditional hairstyling. It can include the use of clothing, ornaments, and props to achieve the desired look, and it's almost always pulled to the top of the head. Fantasy hair competition -- which has been around for decades -- pits contestants against each other to create a total look of hair, makeup, and clothing in a limited amount of time.

Hosted by actress Brooke Burns, this competition series pits 10 of America’s hottest stylists against each other to see who can deliver the biggest and best in fantasy hair design.

Part sculpture and part pop art, each challenge requires contestants to create outrageous coifs that resemble everything from multi-layer wedding cakes to toys with moveable pieces. The stylists then enter the ring to present their hair creations in a fully produced, dramatic and stylized performance. After each challenge, the judges -- award-winning fantasy hair designer Derek J, celebrity stylist Lindsay Albanese and a rotating guest judge -- critique the designers on creativity, execution and overall presentation.

In addition to blow-by-blow drama in the arena, there is also the day-to-day drama between the cohabitating stylists who fight each week to stay in the game and win the ultimate prize of $100,000.

"Hair Battle Spectacular" is produced by 3 Ball Productions with JD Roth, Todd Nelson, Adam Greener, and Mike Nichols serving as executive producers.
    -- From the official Oxygen website
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Re: Hair Battle Spectacular - Oxygen

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3981631;
    Premieres: Tue, August 10 10/9c on Oxygen

Looks interesting! Now....is this the Brooke from DWTS and Rockstar or is this the one who was married to somebody famous? I always get them mixed up (by name).

-- From the official Oxygen website
    I don't think so, her name is Brooke BURKE (DWTS)!

This does look interesting! Thanks for posting!
    KAREN

This is the Brooke who was with with Bruce Willis for a while.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Cannot wait for season 2! The first season was amazing, the Egyptian finale from that one chick with the complex story blew my mind.

It started and....Brooke isn't the host! Eve (Eva?) from America's Next Top Model is. This show, it's nothing like the old one. First off it was all about making absolutely ridiculous hair pieces made out of foam and wire. I don't remember the old one being like that. The only one who truly made something amazing was the "Bossa Nova" guy with his "Demi Moore" thing. And what is with all these stupid nicknames?

Why do these shows feel the need to mess with something that works? They really shouldn't have changed it, it's sort of ridiculous and a joke now but yeah....I'll keep watching to see if it gets better.

I thought I'd try this after reading about it here.... never finished it...very strange people, very strange hair-dos, not sure I even understood what they were saying most of the time....probably am too old to appreciate it.
    I thought it would be like Sheer Genius only a more "out-there" version but I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I thought I'd try this after reading about it here.... never finished it...very strange people, very strange hair-dos, not sure I even understood what they were saying most of the time....probably am too old to appreciate it.
    I thought it would be like Sheer Genius only a more "out-there" version but I was wrong.
    Unless I am remembering wrong, the first season was exactly as you described. The guy who did the Demi Moore Ghost hair was more in tune with what we saw last season. I couldn't believe the rest of them! Heck, even I could do better than that! It looked like hair crafting 101 and not fantasy hair at all. Or maybe they couldn't find any models willing to have their hair completely ruined for this show?

When does Sheer Genius return? Hopefully with a different hostess.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    It started and....Brooke isn't the host! Eve (Eva?) from America's Next Top Model is. This show, it's nothing like the old one. First off it was all about making absolutely ridiculous hair pieces made out of foam and wire. I don't remember the old one being like that. The only one who truly made something amazing was the "Bossa Nova" guy with his "Demi Moore" thing. And what is with all these stupid nicknames?

Why do these shows feel the need to mess with something that works? They really shouldn't have changed it, it's sort of ridiculous and a joke now but yeah....I'll keep watching to see if it gets better.
    You are having a case of "In My Day" Syndrome (You whippersnappers, in my day we...).

The show is EXACTLY the same. There was much foam and wire, not to mention EVERYBODY in Season 1 had nicknames. Besides Minista and a few others, they were not all conceptual artists. The show hasn't jumped any shark or changed enough yet.

I don't like Eva as a host though nor do I like Taylor Jacobson as a judge though but maybe i'll get used to them. The only thing I really hate is the whole battle cry/snarky remark. That was RARELY seen in s1, but one person does it in s2 and they all jump on it like it's mandatory. Yuck. And it cheapens real insults! nNow it's just "*yawn* Oh, was that directed at me for realz or just cause you have to?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    It is like Sheer Genius but more out there. Fantasy hair is FANTASY. It's not supposed to practical. Did you see the season 1 finale? One of the judges said "I couldn't repeat your story back if Itried to" due to the complexity of it, which as also represented through her hair pieces.

Athough not directed at me, I can definitely agree that I, too, have "In My Day Syndrome." Happens more and more.....sigh......the joys of old age.
    I'd never seen this show before and I do understand the concept of Fantasy but this seemed like Fantasy in the Twilight Zone to me....just not my cup of tea.

+ Reply to Thread