+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Choir

The Choir

BBC America (from their website about the show) airs July 7th 10/9c

Choirmaster Gareth Malone attempts to create choirs in the most unlikely settings. In the two-time BAFTA award-winning series, The Choir, Gareth sets his sights first on Northolt High School--a school with no music program, then on Lancaster School--an all boys school where sports dominates the landscape and lastly on South Oxhey--a blue collar community.

Gareth's belief that people should have access to sing beautiful music drives his fearless passion to unite people in song. He feels a choir allows people to come together and express themselves as a community which can be a deeply personal and touching human experience. But as he finds out, getting people together to form a choir is no small feat. He first has to overcome perceptions that being in a choir and singing is both uncool and embarrassing.

Gareth's tireless pursuits to recruit members coupled with his ability to make singing fun for EVERYONE--sets off an emotional journey of shocks and surprises, challenges and rewards with heartwarming results.
    Looks interesting and since there is no new Glee episodes, could fill that void lol.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Re: The Choir

Yes! I read about this a few weeks ago. This show sounds awesome. Apparently Gareth became kind of a superstar in England; I've seen some clips on YouTube and I can see why. He's extremely energetic and endearing.

I'm also a long time choral geek, so just that aspect of the whole thing has me hooked already.

Has anyone else watched this? I LOVE IT!!!

I have! I got teary eyed during many parts of it, this show is sooooo good! Now this is quality reality tv, I'm loving every second of it. I can't wait to see the other schools he will do (that is not a spoiler, it's on their website and has been previewed a bit on the show).

I'd love to see this sort of thing done with some US schools since we all know that with the economy the way it is that the first thing they cut is the fine arts programs like choir.

Did anybody else find the 15 year olds REALLY old? I thought they were in their 20's. I guess they just age them a lot faster in the UK but I was stunned. 15 year olds never looked like that when I was in school, they looked like grown men and women!
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Well the fifth form students were the ones they did the concert for at the school, and they were 15. The older kids who were auditioned later were sixth form, and they are between 17 and 19 at that school level.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the African family. I was crushed that the little brother got put on alternate status. Also, the boys who cried after not passing their second audition just killed me!

I saw the stuff about the other episodes, too. He's doing an all male choir in one, and the third installment is actually a town-based one for choir members of any age.

I just love this choir. Having been in choir's all my life and still singing in a church choir this show just brings back all kinds of fun memories.

I'd tell you, the more my family and I watch this show, the more we love it. The younger kids have such amazing talent in singing. I like the way Galvin pulls it out of them. I wish he do an all girl choir. That would be awesome.

I guess I am the only one watching this show. Nonetheless, last night's show was awesome. The boys really did a fantastic job at the concert. Brought tears to my eyes. Again, I wish Gareth (last post I called him Galvin...oops) would do an all girls choir.

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;4048737;
    I guess I am the only one watching this show. Nonetheless, last night's show was awesome. The boys really did a fantastic job at the concert. Brought tears to my eyes. Again, I wish Gareth (last post I called him Galvin...oops) would do an all girls choir.
    You are not alone! I loved both series, cried like a baby @ the Lancaster School's performance of "Stand by Me". Looking forward to BBC America scheduling subsequent series. Hope they bring Gareth back soon.

BBC - The Choir - About the Show

[QUOTE=NJ EJ;4049740;]You are not alone! I loved both series, cried like a baby @ the Lancaster School's performance of "Stand by Me". Looking forward to BBC America scheduling subsequent series. Hope they bring Gareth back soon.

______________________________ _

Actually, next series is called "Unsung Town" & it starts on Wednesday, 9/8. It's great that they're not making us wait long at all.

Series Guide: South Oxhey - The Choir - BBC America

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast