+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 96 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596 LastLast
Like Tree394Likes

Thread: Kate Plus Eight!

Re: Kate Plus Eight!

If you don't want to buy it, but are curious and a Prime Member, it is available in the Lending Library.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Sorry to be slow but .... is this the book Jon had a hand in publishing - and didn't Kate threaten to sue or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Sorry to be slow but .... is this the book Jon had a hand in publishing - and didn't Kate threaten to sue or something?
    Hi Jexter. This is the book researched and written by Robert Hoffman, the tabloid reporter for Us Weekly who followed the Gosselin story for years. He became friends with Jon, but has always insisted that Jon did not collaborate with him or have a hand in publishing the book. Jon has said he has written his own book. We will have to wait to see if that ever sees the light of day.

If you read Hoffman's book, he explains very clearly how he gathered his information. I don't doubt that some of what he has reported he may have learned from private conversations with Jon, but not with Jon's intention that Hoffman would use it in a book. Kate's fans have continuously spread the mistruth that Jon is responsible for the Hoffman book.

The first release of the book came back in 2012, but it was only available for 2 days before TLC's lawyers had it pulled, citing intellectual property violations because Hoffman had included verbatim contracts and emails between Discovery (TLC's parent company) and the Gosselin family. At no point did anyone - not TLC and not Kate - contest the truth of the information in the book. Kate in essence admitted the journal material was factual because she later had her "Mommy's Journal" registered for copyright.

Kate sued both Jon and Hoffman in August 2013, accusing them of wiretapping, identity theft, and invasion of privacy. The suit alleged that they had hacked her computer and stole a hard drive with her personal information that they then used for the book. The suit was completely without merit, and was dismantled piece by piece by Shawn Tuma, Jon's attorney.

In November 2013, Kate dismissed the suit against Jon "with prejudice," meaning she was barred from ever bringing further action against him on the same claim. Not long after, she dismissed the suit against Hoffman "without prejudice," meaning she could bring further action against him on the same claim at some time. She would have an uphill battle there if she tries to sue again because Hoffman now has Martin Garbus, the legendary trial attorney who specializes in constitutional, criminal, copyright, and intellectual property law, on his side.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    If you read Hoffman's book, he explains very clearly how he gathered his information. I don't doubt that some of what he has reported he may have learned from private conversations with Jon, but not with Jon's intention that Hoffman would use it in a book. Kate's fans have continuously spread the mistruth that Jon is responsible for the Hoffman book.
    You mean these mythical creatures DO exist?
    Florimel, libgirl2, GabbyG and 3 others like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    You mean these mythical creatures DO exist?
    Hahahahaha! Unfortunately so! And they appear to be as intellectually stunted and warped as she is!
    Florimel likes this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

FORT Fogey

Thanks Mushybrain!

What a fascinating duo those two are - Jon and Kate.

I was holding out hope the kids would be fine but I'm more inclined to think they are suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I was holding out hope the kids would be fine but I'm more inclined to think they are suffering.
    I agree. I think they are, and have been, suffering terribly since they were born. They are also prone to violent behavior, which would be expected since children learn what they live.

If you have the stomach for it, Hoffman's book is very enlightening, not just because it exposes Kate's abusiveness, greed, manipulation, and sense of entitlement, but because it details how Discovery owned that family, and the lengths they went to to protect their cash cow. Be forewarned, though. It is very difficult to read how those poor children, and the family dogs, were abused by Kate.
    tapper01 likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Thanks for the info that Amazon Prime folks can borrow it for free. I've got it on my Kindle right now and started reading it this afternoon. Wow. Just. Wow.

I don't know why I want to read it so badly, but I do. I know it will make me furious. What is it about humans that we deliberately choose to view/read/watch things that will make us feel strong, negative emotions?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I don't know why I want to read it so badly, but I do. I know it will make me furious. What is it about humans that we deliberately choose to view/read/watch things that will make us feel strong, negative emotions?
    I'm always amazed at how full prime time viewing is of police shows and other creepy killing shows. I get action drama, but killing and torture, etc. is just not something I put in the entertainment category.

I said this to my son once, and his theory is that the entertainment value is not in the killing, etc. but rather in the redemption achieved when perpetrators are caught. That made sense to me. Where Kate is concerned, the book might be a good example of "getting caught".

(oddly enough, I do like watching shows like Forensic Files - but mostly for the mystery/puzzle-solving aspect).
    Last edited by Jexter; 06-23-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    lilymax likes this.

+ Reply to Thread