+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: Kate Plus Eight!

dancing through life TheIrishEyes's Avatar

Re: Kate Plus Eight!

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain;3927522;
    Thanks, IrishEyes. This has actually opened up an interesting discussion.

I was mad that I had allowed myself to get caught up in the outrage over this incident, because I am usually more careful than that. I did some more checking and found that things occurred as you have described. So this begs another question (to you or anyone who watched the show). A couple of posters here believed the pinata to be empty. Many commenters on the other blog I read also believed the pinata to be empty. So can anyone comment on whether this was a matter of bad editing, or a matter of questionable editing designed to make Kate look bad?
    To be honest, I didn't think twice about it while watching, so I was surprised when I saw all the comments on here about it. At the time I didn't even think it made Kate look bad. It seemed to me like they were all kinda laughing about it when it happened. My impression was "ha ha, you already beat the tar out of it before it hit the ground, ha ha, no big deal..."
    Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide

Quote Originally Posted by kidstookitall;3927774;
    The point I was trying to make was Michelle may not have nannies to take care of her kids, she still doesn't take care of her kids. I just don't see the difference between the two. Neither spend time with their kids. Also Kate is a single parent and the Duggers are both there and the Dugger girls still do all the parenting.
    But up until Josie, Michelle was at home, she was homeschooling, she wasn't working out of the home and she wasn't doing DWTS or going for her latest salon treatment etc....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Wow. I cannot believe so much attention was paid to the pinata. When I first saw it, I thought the girls knocked all the candy out of the pinata before they actually destroyed the pinata. I watched it again after hearing all the outrage and I really just think someone wasn't paying attention or was looking for another reason to hate Kate. I think there are plenty of reasons to dislike Kate. She's got a really strange personality and is almost always in drill sergeant mode. Those are reasons not to like Kate. Most of the reasons people give for not liking Kate seem to be totally fabricated.
    I think it is fine that the kids had multiple birthday parties. A lot of kids with divorced parents do things like that (especially when the divorce is fresh). I have no idea why someone would be upset that Kate wore a bikini to the beach. That makes no sense to me at all. Lots of people wear bikinis to the beach.
    I don't know why there is so much outrage about this woman. Especially when new footage of Jon has just been released and he's spending his money flying his girlfriend to St. Tropez and they are admitting to getting high multiple times on that vacation. I'd rather talk about the negative influence his behavior may have on the kids instead of how horrible Kate is for wearing a bikini. I just don't understand the outrage.

First off, let me say I didn't see the show but I did regularly see it in its past incarnation. The opinions I have formed about her have to do with that, what I saw on DWTS and other interviews, articles and so on.
    As far as KHate wearing a bikini to the beach, I certainly get the point that other people do it. Even though I didn't watch, I can imagine it might be uncomfortable for tweens to have people talking about your mom in very little clothing. Not the end of the world, but I feel she does persist in making some strange fashion choices without regard to practicality or how she is perceived. Example: wearing a short, tight mini-skirt and heels when she was going on a hot-air balloon. Very dumb. (And this is from a woman who made a point of saying that on DWTS she would be careful with how she was dressed because she wanted her "children to be proud of her.")
    As far as comparing KHate to Michelle Duggar, the differences to me are night and day. Michelle is a very hands-on loving mother. People can form their own opinions about many things: Should the kids be on tv? Should the older girls have so much responsibilty? Should they announce they will have no more children? All those are valid points and deserve to be discussed on the Duggar thread, but comparing Michelle who has her children constantly loving on her and being loved, a stay-at-home mom who home schools and works on-on-one with her children, does not compare to the fame whore I see in KHate Gosselin. The only thing they have in common IMO is that their large families have been shown on tv.

Isn't the point though that both families have their children on tv and are making money for doing it? It's not the motive that matters, it's the hypocrisy of praising one and not the other. That's the part I don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3927890;
    I'd rather talk about the negative influence his behavior may have on the kids instead of how horrible Kate is for wearing a bikini.
    From what I understand, Jon doesn't appear on the show does he?

Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3927340;
    I have two quick questions;

If you (that's just a general you, not specific to anyone) are against reality tv based on children, does that include the Duggar family? I always wonder why they seem to get a free pass when the parents are essentially filming their kids' lives same as Jon and Kate.

If posters dislike Kate so much, why continue to write about her? Doesn't that just boost her fame quotient?

Just curious.
    It could be because the Duggar mom, Michelle doesn't come across as an evil user of a harpy like Khate does. YMMV
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3928499;
    It could be because the Duggar mom, Michelle doesn't come across as an evil user of a harpy like Khate does. YMMV
    Bingo! Michelle is someone who would be nice to know and have as a friend, Kate, not so much.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fanatic

Though I would not watch another thing Kate, one of the problems with her, she has no friends! Fans yes, but friends or family support, no. On DWTS every celeb had friends/family in the audience. Kate is estranged from everyone, and if she keeps it up, she's going to be estranged from her "cash cows."
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3927648;
    I'd like to suggest, though, that those who are concerned about the privacy of minors should also be concerned about the privacy of the children of celebrities, who are all too often photographed and exhibited like trophies. Also, let's not forget there are celebrities who sell the rights to their babies' first photos.
    Hi rebotco. I think we are destined to be locked in a dialogue of respectful disagreement on some issues! There are a few things I want to address in your comments. I will do this in two separate posts.

I will gladly put forth my opinions on a subject, but I would never presume to tell anyone what issues they should or should not be concerned about. (For example, just because someone is active in the “Save The Whales” cause, it doesn’t mean they are not also concerned about the clubbing of baby seals or the herding and massacre of dolphins. But it also doesn’t mean that that person must devote the same time and energy to those other situations. We each must decide our own priorities.)

My stance on the exploitation of children on reality shows does not mean that I don’t care about celebrity children being photographed. But the two situations are worlds apart in terms of degree. The children of these stars are not working to support their parents or family. I believe that the invasion of privacy experienced by a child being photographed to capture a few quick snapshots (occasionally) pales in comparison to the systematic and daily intrusion into the privacy of reality show children being filmed for hours. During “reality” filming, a child’s every utterance and action is caught on tape for eternity. I have never seen film of a celebrity’s child suffering serious emotional distress. I have never seen film of a celebrity’s child being potty trained, or being yelled at or threatened by his/her mother.

The plight of the Gosselin children is particularly sad because their mother has not displayed any type of maternal awareness about providing safe boundaries that would help protect them from emotional harm. It is clear that at least one of Kate’s daughters is suffering serious emotional distress right now, and yet Kate does not choose (or think) to protect that child by telling the crew to turn off the cameras.

It makes me very sad for these children that their mother is so emotionally detached from them, and so wrapped up in herself and her own desires/problems that she can’t perform the most fundamental and important duties of being a mom.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco
    at least in the Gosselins' case, the kids are the quote unquote celebs and they're among those being compensated for being in the public eye.
    One of the maddening issues was that the Gosselin children were not being compensated for their work on the show. Accounts were finally opened for the children after there was a public outcry about it. The required contribution to those accounts only has to be a paltry 15% of earnings, divided among all 8 children (giving each about 1.8%). And those accounts are not protected; the parents can withdraw funds for education and medical expenses from them at any time. Sorry, kids.

The PA Department of Labor also turned a blind eye to the fact that TLC and the parents violated the law by not getting work permits for the children. And repeated questions to the DOL about whether the crew does, in fact, have the appropriate clearances to be allowed to work around children have gone unanswered. These things would not happen in California, where the laws protecting child entertainers are more rigid.

+ Reply to Thread