+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 95 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: Kate Plus Eight!

FORT Fogey

Re: Kate Plus Eight!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Unfortunately, even when two parents are living together and commit their time, love, attention, and resources, the family's size can define and limit the scope of their success. The Gosselin kids are in a lose/lose situation, IMO.
    In my line of work I've seen families of all different sizes succeed and fail in their parenting. While a family's size can indeed present greater challenges, parents do overcome those challenges. I also think defining success is important. IMO successful parenting means raising balanced, confident kids who make good choices in life. It's not about whether the kids become millionaires, movie stars, rocket scientists, brain surgeons, etc. If a kids wants to be a carpenter, loves it, and feels good about their abilities, that's success.

I agree the G8 are in a lose/lose situation but IMO it's not so much about the number of kids, but their parents' dysfunctional relationship and the effect of feeling the pressure of generating income for the family during the most important developmental years of their lives. That's a tough combination for any kid to deal with.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I definitely believe that success isn't about money or fame. To me it means doing something you love with your life, something you have a gift and a passion for, and something that you look forward to doing every morning when you awaken.

The challenges for parents of a large brood of kids are quite complicated. I know, because I am one of eleven; my husband is one of eight. We know first hand where the daily parental attention goes in big families: to the ones who need it the most. There's only so much time and attention to give. Frequently, those are the youngest kids and any of the kids with special needs. The oldest kids get loads of responsibility and lots of scrutiny as adolescents. It all works out, because at some point everyone gets the guidance and attention they need at critical points growing up. But there is not much in the way individual nurturing of talent and interests happening with every kid with any consistency. And, usually, the kids who don't need discipline, who do well in school and stay out of the way get ignored in this regard. Eventually it does balance, because as the little ones grow up the oldest ones are off to school or work and are leaving home. The numbers become more manageable, if you will. And the parents grow, too. It's no secret in big families that the parents get a lot better at parenting by the time their youngest kids are approaching adolescence.

I see the Gosselin kids, all being the same age for the most part, to be a daunting challenge even for the most dedicated parents. They seem to be herded more than nurtured, their group needs being the greater priority. It seems inevitable that they will feel deprivation and jealousy. As their interests develop (sports, scouting, music, extra curricular activities, academic and artistic pursuits, competitions), no parent would be able to simultaneously support and encourage them in all the different directions they will be going.

I think they might be better off if she sent them all to boarding school. Maybe she will when she finally realizes that no one really wants to watch them on TV anymore. They are no longer adorable toddlers. And they need hands-on, skillful parenting. I have to wonder where they will get that.

They need Mrs. Walton.

FORT Fogey

As their interests develop (sports, scouting, music, extra curricular activities, academic and artistic pursuits, competitions), no parent would be able to simultaneously support and encourage them in all the different directions they will be going.
    I don't believe in impossible when it comes to committed parents, and the Dilley sextuplets are living proof that it's possible to give 6 kids the same age the attention they deserve. They're now 18 years old, all graduating with honors from high school and headed to college. What they had that the G8 don't: two parents who didn't allow their lives to become a media circus. Yes, they have occasionally appeared on magazine covers and did some interviews over the years, but that's a far cry from the relentless exploitation of the G8 and the devastating effect of their parents' very public separation and divorce. The G8 will never have the stable home life and commitment of two parents that benefitted the Dilley sextuplets. I hope the G8 will be able to overcome what's been done to them, but it's going to be a tough road for them without a Mrs. Walton in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    I don't believe in impossible when it comes to committed parents, and the Dilley sextuplets are living proof that it's possible to give 6 kids the same age the attention they deserve. They're now 18 years old, all graduating with honors from high school and headed to college. What they had that the G8 don't: two parents who didn't allow their lives to become a media circus. Yes, they have occasionally appeared on magazine covers and did some interviews over the years, but that's a far cry from the relentless exploitation of the G8 and the devastating effect of their parents' very public separation and divorce. The G8 will never have the stable home life and commitment of two parents that benefitted the Dilley sextuplets. I hope the G8 will be able to overcome what's been done to them, but it's going to be a tough road for them without a Mrs. Walton in their lives.
    The Dilley's are a great example on how to not cross the line into expoiltation and keep your feet firmly planted on the ground. I watched their specials, loved the kids, saw the love that the parents have for each other (and respect).... it is no wonder they made a success of it. The Dilley's moved back when it was vital that their kids get the privacy to grow up and live like normal children, as opposed to G8 who have been trotted out every waking moment of their lives.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Problem is that her rabid fans will never see it that way.

I am just waiting for those kids to grow up and either write a tell-all book about her, or sue her for squandering their college tuition on a fancy car.
    Can you tell me where her fans are? I've heard them referenced, but I don't read from many now who support Kate. Where are they posting?
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    I don't believe in impossible when it comes to committed parents, and the Dilley sextuplets are living proof that it's possible to give 6 kids the same age the attention they deserve. They're now 18 years old, all graduating with honors from high school and headed to college. What they had that the G8 don't: two parents who didn't allow their lives to become a media circus. (
    Two parents, indeed. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Can you tell me where her fans are? I've heard them referenced, but I don't read from many now who support Kate. Where are they posting?
    I do think that she has lots of die hard fans. They tuned into her show. They follow her on Twitter.

More importantly, she is an attention magnet on the Internet. It does not matter what the subject matter is (derogatory or supportive), whether it's on a blog or on a gossip magazine site, the mere mention of her name draws Internet readers to the site. That's her draw. And it's still viable, and she's still playing it.

If you do not support her, stop Googling her.

My best friend growing up had 12 kids in her family. Her Mom was a stay at home mother and her Dad was an engineer. They lived modestly, but they made it and all the kids turned out great. I currently know of several families with between 6 and 9 children who make it despite the parents having "average" jobs.

Kate doesn't need to have a big salary, she needs to use the money she already has wisely. Sell the mansion, give up the expensive haircuts (Please!) the weekly manicures, the body guard, nannies, personal trainer, cook, etc. etc. and go to work to take care of your kids instead of them taking care of her.

I think that she has the assets to do all of this without working another day in her life. But, based on what I have seen on TV, her priorities are not about rearing stable children or nurturing them. Her priorities seem to be about maintaining a relevant presence on television, with or without her children. I think if she cared about their futures, she'd find something else to do for a living. She certainly has the resources now to find something remunerable and low risk.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my take on it.
    AZChristian likes this.

before the Dilly's and I must say I am very impressed with how they raised their children and didn't take an easy way out just for money..they cared more for their children than they did money

Jenny Mache had 2 very short season of her sextuplets on WE tv but when her marriage started to fall apart she went to back to work as a doctor's asst and asked to be let out of her contract cause what was happeneding between her and her husband did not belong on tv and she didn't want her kids to grow up and see those things...kuodos to her too

there was a family..can't remember the name but it was the one Khate was totally fascinated with..they had 7 children and you never hear anything about them except for an occasionly update...I remember when they were born the 3 adult women that were still alive from the Dionne quintuplets sent them a note and told them to protct those children and keep their lives private and not on display because of what had been done to them
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread