+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 858
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Kate Plus Eight!

  1. #171
    FORT Fanatic mushybrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    593

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3942293;
    Any complaint has to be investigated by the PA child labor laws and the dept specifically said that the investigation did not imply guilt. And the statement issued was that the producers were at fault for not filing the proper permits. Is Kate a producer? I have no idea.
    No, an investigation does not mean guilt. But a finding of guilt means guilt. And that was the final finding of the PA DOL. TLC actually threw Jon & Kate under the bus when reports of the investigation came out. They tried to wash their hands of responsibility by saying it was the parents' responsibility to obtain the work permits.

  2. #172
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,597

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3942731;
    If you wake up your children and tell them it's Christmas when it's NOT so they can run down and open presents with the film crew present for a 'natural' reaction, that's 'working.'

    That actually happened.
    Not only that, but how wrong is that to do to your kids? I hope these kids don't have trust issues later on in life. I don't get what's so fascinating about watching sextuplets potty train, and I don't see what's so amusing about lying to kids that it's Christmas. All for a good camera shot. I wonder if TLC will try and wash their hands of all of that if the kids ever bring lawsuits later in life or release their tell all books.

  3. #173
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3943083;
    Not only that, but how wrong is that to do to your kids? I hope these kids don't have trust issues later on in life. I don't get what's so fascinating about watching sextuplets potty train, and I don't see what's so amusing about lying to kids that it's Christmas. All for a good camera shot. I wonder if TLC will try and wash their hands of all of that if the kids ever bring lawsuits later in life or release their tell all books..
    Hahaha! Reading this brought back a couple of childhood memories that made me smile! I am one of 11, and until I was 13 our Dad was on active duty in the Navy. On not one, but TWO, occasions we were were awakened and told it was Christmas, lol. He was scheduled to be away for Christmas, so we had it early. AND we had it twice both of those years. None of us have "trust issues."
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  4. #174
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,597

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3943156;
    Hahaha! Reading this brought back a couple of childhood memories that made me smile! I am one of 11, and until I was 13 our Dad was on active duty in the Navy. On not one, but TWO, occasions we were were awakened and told it was Christmas, lol. He was scheduled to be away for Christmas, so we had it early. AND we had it twice both of those years. None of us have "trust issues."
    Your family had a better reason than trying to get a good camera reaction shot. And that's not the only incident that I'm referring to as to why I think these kids are going to have issues when they get older. Hopefully I'm wrong and they lead productive lives without any problems. I just think Kate, and Jon when he was a part of the show, think more of themselves and what they want in regards to doing the show than they do of their children.

    No parent hasn't ever lied to their kids. That I'm 100% sure of, and if someone told me otherwise, I don't think I'd believe them. However, Kate and the show aren't exactly a normal exception. In reading back on mushybrains posts regarding the Dionne quints, the one thing I remember reading about them is that no one prepared them for life out of the spotlight and for adulthood. I hope Kate has told her kids the cameras will one day go away, along with a lot of the free luxuries they get now, and they won't always be the focus of the spotlight.
    Last edited by karalott; 06-20-2010 at 06:06 PM.

  5. #175
    FORT Fogey captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Posts
    4,233

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3942729;
    What do you mean by that? If you're implying that negative comments about Jon are just as valid on here, I would agree, but he doesn't appear on the show so they are probably better suited elsewhere. I also don't get the mentality that where there is a hero there must also be a villian. I've seen so many Kate fans defend and deflect what she's done by throwing Jon's name into the conversation. These are two adults who have made their own choices and certainly don't need legions of people defending them.
    It has nothing to do with Jon. I was referring to a comment made. It seems my original post is gone at least on my computer.
    There's no place like home!

  6. #176
    FORT Fanatic mushybrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    593

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;3943156;
    Hahaha! Reading this brought back a couple of childhood memories that made me smile! I am one of 11, and until I was 13 our Dad was on active duty in the Navy. On not one, but TWO, occasions we were were awakened and told it was Christmas, lol. He was scheduled to be away for Christmas, so we had it early. AND we had it twice both of those years. None of us have "trust issues."
    Hi Poppy Fields. I first want to extend my sincerest appreciation to your father for his service to our country. The men and women who serve in our military deserve our greatest respect. Poppy, your comment has made me curious. When you celebrated Christmas on two separate occasions, were you aware of the actual day of Christmas? Were you aware that you were celebrating Christmas on a different day because of the circumstances of your father's duty? Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebotco
    I disagree (again) with some of these thoughts. It was recently disclosed (I forget where or by whom) that the Gosselins earn x amount from TLC, with the split about 3:1 Kate:kids, so equitable or not, they're all working and they're all earning, and there's apparently a provision for the kids' money to be set aside for them.
    The exact amount of money the Gosselin children are earning will not be known until they become adults and decide whether to make that information public or not. But here are the facts: Money was put into accounts for the children after the DOL launched its investigation. The amount stipulated to be put aside for the children is nebulous. I believe the wording states that they are to receive "15% of their earnings" from the show. It is unclear who is to determine what "their earnings" actually means. The 15% is to be divided among all 8 children but can be used by the parents for medical and/or educational expenses. So the children may see some money at some point, or they may not.

    Now for anyone who feels that the money situation is none of our business, I say this - Jon & Kate made their family's business (personal and financial) the public's business the moment they decided to put it on view for all to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebotco
    We don't know how much of what Kate earns goes toward her own needs but the way I see it, the kids are also benefitting from the money. They now live in a huge house on a huge property and that's a whole different ball of wax from the cape they used to live in. And their "work" allows them to go to Orlando, Hawaii, San Diego, Utah, North Carolina, dude ranches, etc. And it's all filmed, yup. That's the deal. It's not exactly a Faustian bargain.
    I have a very hard time when people equate money and possessions and trips and large houses with well-being and happiness. Everything comes with a price, and in this case the huge house and trips and possessions have come at the expense of the children's privacy. Yes, they get to go on a lot of trips, but they are working trips so it is impossible for them to enjoy them with the same spontaneity as a normal family would. As far as their housing situation, I would be willing to bet that those children were far happier when they lived in their small house because mommy and daddy were together.

    I can also never understand why so many comments I have read in support of Kate contain the common theme of financial gain and acquiring "things" as their main defense of Kate's behavior and reasoning why filming isn't bad for the kids. It makes me believe that her supporters have no concept of true wealth. (This reminds me of the song "Richard Corey" by Simon and Garfunkel.)

    The "things" the children have acquired through THEIR work on the show are not necessary to a happy, healthy, stable, fulfilling life. The "things" and trips are nice, but they are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of vital "things."

    The fundamental "things" the children NEED are protection, love and respect. No huge house or crooked house will provide these children with the protection they need. They must "feel" protected. No exotic trips or matching clothes can replace a loving hug when a child is sick or feeling down, or a comforting call from mommy when she is away. No amount of money or material "thing" can take the place of listening to and hearing what a child has to say and appreciating the wonder of their innocence and wisdom. I'm not saying that Kate has never provided these things to her children. But Kate has shown time and time again that she is incapable or unwilling to provide this protection, love and respect consistently and continuously. This has been documented very clearly on film.

    Jon and Kate chose to sell their children's privacy to TLC for money and fame. Sounds like a Faustian bargain to me.

  7. #177
    FORT Newbie Denna40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Morinville
    Posts
    45

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Yes, Jon and Kate did sell their lifestyle........but the public bought it and in essence has created this. Personally I hold the viewing public at least partially accountable because without them there would be no show, no money, no fame and so on. If you really want Kate to just parent her children, stop the book tours, stop the show.........then doesn't it make sense to not watch her. Seems to me that even the people that hate her still watch her because they sure know a lot about her.

  8. #178
    FORT Fan rebotco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    374

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain;3943718;


    I can also never understand why so many comments I have read in support of Kate contain the common theme of financial gain and acquiring "things" as their main defense of Kate's behavior and reasoning why filming isn't bad for the kids.
    Many of Kate's (& Jon's) detractors mention her possessions (big new car) & self-indulgences (tanning, hair, etc.) against her in their attacks of her behavior, so the discussion of material possessions & how money is spent is on the table.

  9. #179
    FORT Fanatic mushybrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    593

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3944087;
    Many of Kate's (& Jon's) detractors mention her possessions (big new car) & self-indulgences (tanning, hair, etc.) against her in their attacks of her behavior, so the discussion of material possessions & how money is spent is on the table.
    Hi rebotco. I completely agree that the discussion of material possessions is on the table. My point was that her fans always use her relentless pursuit and acquisition of material goods and services as a DEFENSE of her behavior. It is a very poor defense.

    People only criticize her regarding her thirst for fame and self-indulgences because she is constantly crying poor, lying that she does everything herself and gets no support from Jon, and saying that everything she does is for her children. I could find at least a tiny bit of respect for her if she would just be upfront and drop the facade of the poor, put-upon single mom.

    Yes, Jon and Kate did sell their lifestyle........but the public bought it and in essence has created this. Personally I hold the viewing public at least partially accountable because without them there would be no show, no money, no fame and so on. If you really want Kate to just parent her children, stop the book tours, stop the show.........then doesn't it make sense to not watch her. Seems to me that even the people that hate her still watch her because they sure know a lot about her.
    Hi Denna. We have an accord. I agree that the viewing public is contributing to keeping the show on. Some of those viewers are fans, and some of those viewers are not. I believe with every ounce of my being that no child should be on a reality show. I also believe that anyone who speaks out against such invasions of a child's privacy, but then continues to watch these shows for any reason, is hypocritical.

    People don't have to watch Kate Plus Eight to find out about her. The over-saturation of all escapades Gosselin has made it very difficult for some people to avoid information about them. I haven't watched TLC since May of 2009. I do not watch any reality TV shows that include children. I get my information about the Gosselins from a few blogs that post excerpts from interviews or TV appearances, or from non-tabloid news organizations that run articles concerning, for example, the child labor hearings in PA. I know there are a lot of people like me, but I don't know if that is a large enough number to end the show.

    One final thing. I do not "hate" Kate Gosselin. I "hate" her behavior, attitude and bad treatment of her children and ex-husband. We all know Jon is no prize, but no one deserves the verbal and emotional abuse she heaped upon him. Her children do not deserve to be disrespected or ridiculed or ignored as they have been. There is ample film evidence to support these statements.

    Have a great day, all.

  10. #180
    FORT Fanatic lilymax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    598

    Re: Kate Plus Eight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3944047;
    Yes, Jon and Kate did sell their lifestyle........but the public bought it and in essence has created this. Personally I hold the viewing public at least partially accountable because without them there would be no show, no money, no fame and so on. If you really want Kate to just parent her children, stop the book tours, stop the show.........then doesn't it make sense to not watch her. Seems to me that even the people that hate her still watch her because they sure know a lot about her.
    while i see your point i disagree that the viewing public is in any way responsible for what the parents have done to the kids. they are the ones who CHOSE to expose the family for reality tv and a paycheck; not the people who watch. while i agree that the fewer who watch the better because kate will go away and the kids not be filmed if they vanish from the public eye; it's become for some a car crash where one can't look away or a "love to hate" kate kind of thing. i find kate to be unwatchable; i still can't judge or blame those who watch. they are not the ones who put those childrens' lives on display.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.