+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 95 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: Kate Plus Eight!

Re: Kate Plus Eight!

Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3941064;
    The child labor thing was an investigation which according to the state that did so is not an implication of guilt, they have to investigate every complaint similar to child welfare. The producers were told to make sure they have the proper permits and that was the end of that. There were no charges of child exploitation.

I have no idea what the filming schedule is for any of the reality tv shows. It seems to me that they appear in short arcs so maybe TLC does run more than the average number of seasons in a year. It would be interesting to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3941075;
    Amazing what you can find out on google.........6 seasons of the show, 116 episodes equals 19.3 episodes per season. Just for fun, I also looked up The Duggar Family - 4 seasons, 77 episodes equals 19.25 episodes per season.
    Google some more -- the later seasons indeed had more episodes per season as Kate cranked her exploitation machine into full gear.

And I know of absolutely none that have had as many as an over 40 episode season with more than one season per calendar year which is what instigated the Department of Labor investigation. If there ever is another show that does, however, along with a mother that has been made a millionaire by exploiting her children on one and then goes around claming poverty and collecting 'love offerings', while writing books to expose more personal details of her children's lives - all the while claiming to be a martyr rather than the child exploiter she clearly is - then I will assess that person on a level with Kate Gosselin.

And here is the factual breakdown on the Gosselin 'Seasons':

Seaon three had 31 episodes.
    Season four began airing a whole week later with 41 episodes.
    Season five then began airing a whole two months after which had 23 episodes only because it was shut down.

List of Jon & Kate Plus 8 episodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA: Kate can be called anything anyone wants on this board as per FoRT rules and there are plenty of facts to substantiate the negative opinons. This is not a Kate Gosselin fan board and no one has to justify a negative opinion of her to anyone.
    Last edited by chrisg; 06-19-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

As instructed I did google some more......here's the actual breakdown for anyone interested..........
    Season 1 8 episodes
    Season 2 12 episodes
    Season 3 31 episodes
    Season 4 41 episodes
    Season 5 23 episodes
    Season 6 4 episodes
    plus 4 specials over all the seasons. So, yes there was a 40 plus season, Jon and Kate were still together then I believe, although clearly falling apart. Make of it what you will.

Bottom line.....Kate is not alone in making nor exploiting the children..........I don't disagree with the idea that having them on tv is not a great idea....I disagree with making Kate the devil incarnate.
    Last edited by Denna40; 06-19-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: to add something

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124348/episodes

Per the imdb lineup, here is a breakdown of all the shows. The first two documentaries (?) that were broadcast on Discovery and the Gosselins Go Green special are not included in the lineup.

If one takes a gander as to when these shows aired, the first show started on 4/23/07 and the last one aired on 11/23/09. Roughly a mere two-and-a-half years. 115 shows plus the specials. That's a lot of camera time for children who are between the ages of 3 and 5 and 7 and 9, wouldn't you say?

As TV "season" does not equal a year or any set amount of time so you really need to find out over what time period the shows and specials etc aired to do a comparison.

I think with Kate it's about exploiting her children for her own personal gain and fame, but also a lot more. I don't think it's a good idea to have your children on reality tv no matter who you are, but not all the Moms and Dads use the money the children make or the fame that comes to them so selfishly.

Do you really believe Kate's kids would rather have her off touring the country for her books or tv apperances making more money or spending time with them, even if she had to give up some of her tanning, fingernails, hair appointments, fancy cars, body guard, acerage to "afford" to stay home?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3941850;
    I think with Kate it's about exploiting her children for her own personal gain and fame, but also a lot more. I don't think it's a good idea to have your children on reality tv no matter who you are, but not all the Moms and Dads use the money the children make or the fame that comes to them so selfishly.

I disagree (again) with some of these thoughts. It was recently disclosed (I forget where or by whom) that the Gosselins earn x amount from TLC, with the split about 3:1 Kate:kids, so equitable or not, they're all working and they're all earning, and there's apparently a provision for the kids' money to be set aside for them. We don't know how much of what Kate earns goes toward her own needs but the way I see it, the kids are also benefitting from the money. They now live in a huge house on a huge property and that's a whole different ball of wax from the cape they used to live in. And their "work" allows them to go to Orlando, Hawaii, San Diego, Utah, North Carolina, dude ranches, etc. And it's all filmed, yup. That's the deal. It's not exactly a Faustian bargain.

Do you really believe Kate's kids would rather have her off touring the country for her books or tv apperances making more money or spending time with them, even if she had to give up some of her tanning, fingernails, hair appointments, fancy cars, body guard, acerage to "afford" to stay home?

As for what Kate's kids would prefer about how she spends her time . . . I don't know of any small or tween child that prefers their mom to be working rather than doting on them at home. There are plenty of parents whose work schedules conflict with the children's schedules and plenty of parents who have to travel overnight or for stretches of time. Plenty of parents ramp up their workload - accepting promotions or traveling more or relocating - to earn more to have a more enhanced lifestyle so I don't think it's fair to single out Kate Gosselin for doing what many, many parents do in order to afford manicures and better cars.

I think it's important to take a step back and think about the parallels between the reality TV family's life and the workaday family's life. Sure, there are plenty of differences, but there are also parallels, even if in differing degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Denna40;3941064;
    The child labor thing was an investigation which according to the state that did so is not an implication of guilt, they have to investigate every complaint similar to child welfare. The producers were told to make sure they have the proper permits and that was the end of that. There were no charges of child exploitation.

I have no idea what the filming schedule is for any of the reality tv shows. It seems to me that they appear in short arcs so maybe TLC does run more than the average number of seasons in a year. It would be interesting to find out.
    Hi Denna40. The Pennsylvania Department of Labor did not give an "implication of guilt," it issued a "finding" of guilt. TLC and the Gosselin parents failed to obtain work permits for their children, which is against PA's child labor law. Despite their finding, the PA DOL did not fine TLC nor the Gosselins. That would have been very bad for the business of trying to lure the TV/film industry into the state.

Any complaint has to be investigated by the PA child labor laws and the dept specifically said that the investigation did not imply guilt. And the statement issued was that the producers were at fault for not filing the proper permits. Is Kate a producer? I have no idea.

Kate has also repeatedly denied her kids were working and said they were just living their lives. Those kids were working. PA found that to be true. Kate has made many statements which have proven to be false. That makes her a liar in my book. This part may be an opinion but that's ok too; I can have one. I don't tend to believe anything which comes out of her mouth and think that she basically makes statements which are entirely self-serving. I find it very annoying and perhaps others do too. Maybe that is one reason that some of you feel she is more harshly judged.

There are really too many reasons to post here why I find Kate so despicable. I just do. I call foul ball on her for exposing her kids in the many ways she has. Little Collin's impaction comes to mind as does the potty training for all the world to see. It's on film and can't be denied; it was not necessary to the show and any decent mom would have protected her kids from such exposure. I still have to shake my head in disbelief that those scenes were even allowed. But all of it had Kate's blessing. I'm sorry if people don't want to hear it but she just comes across as a nasty shrewish famewhore who will do anything to have her mug in front of the camera. I won't even mention greed.

Jon was of course on board for all of this; however he does not come across as being as cold and hard and blatantly nasty as Kate. To me he just seems to be not-that-bright.

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3942710;
    I am not a Kate/Jon/or 8 fan, but... I am reading from people on here that are and they seem to have to justify their beliefs. Remember it works both ways.
    What do you mean by that? If you're implying that negative comments about Jon are just as valid on here, I would agree, but he doesn't appear on the show so they are probably better suited elsewhere. I also don't get the mentality that where there is a hero there must also be a villian. I've seen so many Kate fans defend and deflect what she's done by throwing Jon's name into the conversation. These are two adults who have made their own choices and certainly don't need legions of people defending them.
    CYA

FORT Fanatic

If you wake up your children and tell them it's Christmas when it's NOT so they can run down and open presents with the film crew present for a 'natural' reaction, that's 'working.'

That actually happened.

+ Reply to Thread