+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: Kate Plus Eight!

Re: Kate Plus Eight!

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain;3932599;
    I cringe whenever I hear people say that children on reality shows are so used to the cameras that the filming doesn’t bother or harm them. I challenge anyone who thinks the cameras are not a total invasion of a child's privacy to take a moment and visualize what your day would be like if a camera crew followed you everywhere, and you had absolutely no power to make them stop filming you.

You get up in the morning and look like something the cat dragged in - oh look, there's that friendly camera crew capturing your loveliness. You have a stomach flu and are vomiting - oh, goody, a guy with a camera is right there to catch every precious moment of it. You are having a bowel emergency and - yippee, that fun-loving camera crew follows you into the bathroom to film you doing your business so millions of strangers can be entertained. You have had a terrible day and break down in tears, or you are being yelled at or ridiculed by a family member - hooray, there is a crew filming your emotional outburst so it can be broadcast to people who will judge you and criticize you. You do something embarrassing when you think the camera crew isn't watching - but, snap, those rascals catch you. You go to jump in the shower and - oh, hello Mr. or Ms. Camera Person who loves you and cares about you so much (as long as he/she is getting paid to), I'm so happy you are here to film me washing myself!

Now, add to this all the times you were just going about your “normal” day, doing and saying things “naturally,” and the camera crew said to you, "Um, we need you to go back and do that again, but this time, do it 'this' way,” or “You know, it would really sound a lot better if you said 'this' instead of 'that'.” This is the “reality” of producing a reality show.

Adults have an awareness that allows them to speak up and say no to these intrusions. But children do not have that option. They are developmentally incapable of making reasoned decisions to determine whether being on TV is in their best interest. They are at the mercy of others. Children rely on the people who are supposed to love and respect them to protect their privacy. Sadly, a lot of people are so blinded by material things that they willingly betray this innocent trust.

Definition of irony: A mother pulling aside her distraught daughter from the rest of the family so they can talk in "private," while a camera crew films the "private" conversation so it can be broadcast to millions.
    no additional words needed,ICAM
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

mushybrain, I've really enjoyed your posts on this subject, especially the comparisions with the Dionne quints (I did a report on them for school once after seeing their made for TV movie on their life-very sad story, even when they were reunited with their family). I can see how, at one point, watching Kate & company was cute. But watching the kids do normal, every day things like potty training, having a birthday party, shopping, taking a trip-I don't see the big attraction. Kate isn't the first person to endure that with multiples, only difference is she has help and gets things handed to her that other families don't. And she can't even admit when she gets a big payout ($500,000 for clomping around on DWTS), or has help (has been on The View but has often avoided answering the question as to whether she has nannies or Jon pays child support). Eventually the show will go off the air. Actually, I'll be curious if Kate gets an audience for her own show whenever that's supposed to air, but I can't believe this show will be on in 5 years or that the Gosselins will be around. I was thinking what Dr. Phil once said to a family of aspiring realty show D-listers, how their kids would handle having a camera crew on their dates and whether they'd expect re-takes if they didn't get their sons first kiss to his girlfriend right. I cringe to think about things like that for Kate's kids. I worry more what'll happen when the media does fade, the show goes away, and the cash dries up. How will Kate survive being stuck at home without the ability to get $20,000 extensions, manicures, and spray tans? And her luxurious all expense paid trips to 5 star resorts.

does anyone know what the ratings for this disaster have been...I am hoping that they might be so bad that TLC will pull the show
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3933125;
    does anyone know what the ratings for this disaster have been...I am hoping that they might be so bad that TLC will pull the show
    I think it did VERY well in the ratings. I think mostly out of curiosity people tuned in.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3933125;
    I read that the ratings for Kate Plus Eight were 3.4 million. This number dropped to 3 million for the Kate Pity Fest that followed.

karalott - Thanks so much for the kind words. It was an old black and white film of the Dionne quints that made me realize how at risk reality show children really are.

The latest news in the Kate Plus Eight Infomercial and Product Placement Show of Shows is that a pre-fab chicken coop was delivered by some pre-fab chicken coop company to the house. I guess hits on that company's website will increase exponentially after the kids are used to unwittingly sell their product. And those poor, poor chickens. I wonder if they will bend the wire on their coop (just like the poor German Shepherds did to the metal bars of their crates) in a desperate attempt to escape and flee the premises.

It is really puzzling how anyone can enjoy this show when it has become nothing more than a series of commercials for tourist destinations and products. Sell, kiddies, sell.

I heard on one of the entertainment shows last week, think it was Showbiz Tonight, that just about 3 million watched last week's show. Of course, those reporters were all gaga over how great those numbers were. Idiots fawning over her like that. I wouldn't say that is a lot of viewers.....more like what the original show used to pull in before the marital problems started and the J&K+8 show was ending. That's when many tuned in to see the fireworks....in the 10-20 million range.

Every time I come in to the Other Reality Shows thread and see the heading, "I'm a star in my own mind" I think of Khate. She really does think she is all that, doesn't she? I remember one of the solo couch-sitting interviews last year where she stated how she could see herself down the road being in a movie.....or that her voice could be in an animated movie that her kids would love to watch. Delusional, much?

She will fade eventually. And then the kids will write their tell-all books. That's what I am waiting for!

I wish that Jon would sue and win sole custody of his kids so this nightmare will end and she'd get a wake-up call.

If not Jon, CPS because I feel that anyone who stays away from her children as much as she does (DWTS, interviews going solo, the pampering stuff) is showing neglect toward her children.

I am so hoping and praying these kids when they're in school are being loved by their teachers, friends and the higher ups... and I hope said school has banned any media filming the kids in the school to protect other children.

I have to admit - it's the ONLY time I am glad parents have a right to say don't use my children in the media. In fact, I wish all the parents of the students in the classes The Gosslins are in would write "I choose to not have my children in the media," because then people would get how much they don't want the attention. And with everyone blocked out TLC can't really use the footage, and it's a waste of money - leading to either less footage or a cancellation of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3934729;
    I wish that Jon would sue and win sole custody of his kids so this nightmare will end and she'd get a wake-up call.

If not Jon, CPS because I feel that anyone who stays away from her children as much as she does (DWTS, interviews going solo, the pampering stuff) is showing neglect toward her children.

I am so hoping and praying these kids when they're in school are being loved by their teachers, friends and the higher ups... and I hope said school has banned any media filming the kids in the school to protect other children.

I have to admit - it's the ONLY time I am glad parents have a right to say don't use my children in the media. In fact, I wish all the parents of the students in the classes The Gosslins are in would write "I choose to not have my children in the media," because then people would get how much they don't want the attention. And with everyone blocked out TLC can't really use the footage, and it's a waste of money - leading to either less footage or a cancellation of the show.
    I think there's so much hysteria about Kate and too much projection and what-ifs. I'm not clear what the status is currently of Jon's custody suit (if there is one), but I'm sure there are a host of reasons Jon wouldn't (and probably shouldn't, IMO) get custody although I'm not a legal scholar. Jon doesn't earn a living, Kate doesn't abuse the children (please don't respond that filming them or filming their potty-training is abuse: it isn't, and Jon is equally as culpable about the kids being filmed.), and Kate is away as much or less than other working/traveling custodial mothers.

As for speculating that the show would run out of footage if the kids couldn't be filmed at school, that's clearly not the case. Very, very little footage has ever been shown of the kids at school, and it hasn't surfaced as a situation in the current incarnation of Kate Plus 8.

I find that speculation on the boards is like the game of telephone - a few posts later, people are in hysterics, quoting speculation as truth and I find that unnecessary, and it feeds the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3934987;
    I think there's so much hysteria about Kate and too much projection and what-ifs. I'm not clear what the status is currently of Jon's custody suit (if there is one), but I'm sure there are a host of reasons Jon wouldn't (and probably shouldn't, IMO) get custody although I'm not a legal scholar. Jon doesn't earn a living, Kate doesn't abuse the children (please don't respond that filming them or filming their potty-training is abuse: it isn't, and Jon is equally as culpable about the kids being filmed.), and Kate is away as much or less than other working/traveling custodial mothers.
    The last part I actually disagree here - I know many single mothers who have more than one child who are away for a time, but come home to the children. This however I do not see with Kate - she tends to be everywhere all the time... and very rarely at home.

The difference too between Jon and Kate and agreeing to have the kids filmed is that Jon finally said stop and Kate keeps going with it.

As for speculating that the show would run out of footage if the kids couldn't be filmed at school, that's clearly not the case. Very, very little footage has ever been shown of the kids at school, and it hasn't surfaced as a situation in the current incarnation of Kate Plus 8.
    It could be - the kids are getting older and are probably well-known to teachers and their peers. There could be bullying and the like that could happen leading to the school eventually being filmed.

I am not saying it will, but please don't say that it won't either. That depends on how long we deal with this trainwreck of a show.

I find that speculation on the boards is like the game of telephone - a few posts later, people are in hysterics, quoting speculation as truth and I find that unnecessary, and it feeds the fire.
    I am making an educated hypothesis only - not speculation that is free-wheeling. Unfortunately, I have been someone who has had their career filmed and had to tell them to please stop because it was bothering me (not a nationally televised event mind you, but it was something that was a production sold on DVD). It also could've interfered with my job (fortunately not, and they sided with me when I told them my reaction).

When they refused, I got up digusted and stormed off. The person later told me that I shouldn't have been afraid of the camera, and I told them "I am with the media, I am not to be filmed." The man then proceeded to tell me that I was actually lucky that there were others wearing red, white or blue because otherwise I'd been called up for another event. Actually - I had every right to tell him to not film me.

So... yes, I make analyses, but it's from first-hand experience on how people will interfere with your life even if you wish to not be filmed, so I can see that happening in the future and parents not wanting their kids filmed because they disagree with the Gosselins.

The only reason Jon stopped the filming was because he wasn't getting anything out of it....how does that make him a better parent? He's fine with it if he's getting paid.

As for the filming and Kate being everywhere at once.....I would imagine most of the footage is not live so it's impossible to say how often she's home or not. And again, lots of parents travel for work away from their kids including most musicians, actors and a host of other professions. I agree with Rebotco, a lot of this is pure speculation and fueled by gossip and rumour. IMO.

+ Reply to Thread