+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
Like Tree378Likes

Thread: Kate Plus Eight!

Re: Kate Plus Eight!

Hi again my friend, rebotco! One of the things I enjoy most about these boards is that certain postings cause me to see things from a perspective I might not have otherwise considered. I really like reading all the diverse viewpoints, even if I donít always agree with them. This will be my last lengthy post on this thread for awhile (I promise, everyone!!).

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3927648;
    One more note, and that's about comparisons between the Dionnes and the Gosselins (I can't speak to the Duggar situation because I don't watch or follow that family). The Dionnes were ripped from their family, put under the ward of the Canadian government, and actually put on live display as a carnival show. It's a different situation than the Gosselins but I don't doubt that the experience of the Dionnes is far from the minds of those who make decisions for the Gosselin family.

I think it is important for people to be aware of the circumstances common to the Dionne exploitation and the Gosselin exploitation. While a lot of aspects of their lives are certainly very different (more than 70 years separate them in life), many comparisons between the Dionnes and the Gosselins are eerily, disturbingly similar. Consider this:

The Dionnes were taken from their parents by the Ontario government and used as a tourist attraction for profit.

The Gosselins were put to work by their parents and TLC to film a TV show to be used as an attraction for profit. (The Gosselin children were also taken away from the extended family and friends who helped care for them early on.)

The Dionnes were cared for by three nurses, a housekeeper and two maids, and were guarded by three policemen.

The Gosselins are cared for by a series of nannies and a non-specific and ever-changing number of "girls" and "helpers." (Security for the children is unknown, but the mother is guarded by a man who carries her purses.)

The Dionne compound had an outdoor playground designed to be a public observation area.

The Gosselin property has a long driveway used frequently as a public observation area for photographers.

The Dionnes were viewed as a single unit and made to wear matching outfits.

The Gosselins were viewed as a single unit and made to wear matching outfits.

The Dionnes were taken out to play on a playground for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day so that strangers standing behind a one-way screen in a viewing structure could gawk at and be entertained by them.

The Gosselins were filmed up to many hours a day so that strangers watching the screens of their HD TVs and computer monitors could gawk at and be entertained by them. (Testimony was given that TLC cameras also filmed the children in their bedrooms 24/7.)

Between 1934 and 1943, about 3 million people visited Quintland to view the Dionne children.

On June 7, approximately 3.4 million people turned on their TVs to view the Gosselin children.

The Dionne father sold souvenirs and photographs from a shop near the girls' nursery home.

The Gosselin parents sold photographs of the children for $20 a pop (cash only, thank you very much) at churches and speaking engagement venues.

The Dionne sisters were used to publicize commercial products. Sales of many products increased because of their promotions.

The Gosselin children are used to publicize commercial products and tourist attractions. Sales of products have increased because of their promotions (e.g., crooked houses).

After the Dionne parents won back custody of the girls, the family moved into a new 20-room mansion, which was paid for by the Quintuplet fund.

After their show became successful, the Gosselin family moved into a large home on 20+ acres, which was paid for by the work of the children.

The Ontario government and nearby businesses, combined, made hundreds of millions of dollars off of the Dionne children.

The parents, TLC, and sponsors of the Jon & Kate Plus 8 show, combined, have made hundreds of millions of dollars off of the Gosselin children.

The Dionnes lived at home until they were 18. After that, they had almost no contact with their parents.

The Gosselin outcome will be determined years from now in this matter.

The surviving Dionne sisters wrote that the exploitation they suffered in childhood ruined their lives. They passionately pleaded for parents of high order multiples to protect their children's privacy.

In 1998, the surviving Dionne sisters reached a monetary settlement with the Ontario government to compensate them for the exploitation they suffered.

In the final analysis, all of these children were put on display as curiosities for the amusement of others and as a means for others to profit off them. None of these children had a voice in whether they wanted to be used in this way. And none of them had any power to make the invasion of their privacy stop.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Spanish Philosopher, George Santayana

Have a great night, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3929203;
    I don't like that Kate seemed to be implying that the children were happy to see the camera crew because they love being filmed.
    I suspect they're just pleased to have some familiar adults back in their lives and their reaction to people without cameras and sound equipment would have been equally as enthusiastic.

I'm sure they'd all love to see Janet, Beth or even Kevin and Jodie, particularly as that means they'd likely regain access to their cousins.

I agree that they are probably happy to see the camera crew at least in part because they spent so much time with them that they became emotionally attached. They also may now, or in the future, enjoy the attention they get for being cute and entertaining.

What is going to happen in the future when they are older and not so cute and people aren't interested in watching them anymore? When the camera crew isn't there, just like Jodie and Kevin are no longer there? When the world doesn't find them entertaining anymore and their Mom is off doing her thing with all the money they have earned for her, and no longer has what little interest she has in them now because they are no longer producing an income for her? Then what will these children go through?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;3929432;
    I agree that they are probably happy to see the camera crew at least in part because they spent so much time with them that they became emotionally attached. They also may now, or in the future, enjoy the attention they get for being cute and entertaining.

What is going to happen in the future when they are older and not so cute and people aren't interested in watching them anymore? When the camera crew isn't there, just like Jodie and Kevin are no longer there? When the world doesn't find them entertaining anymore and their Mom is off doing her thing with all the money they have earned for her, and no longer has what little interest she has in them now because they are no longer producing an income for her? Then what will these children go through?
    Cameras, fame, and their TV show will be out of their lives at some point. So what are they going to do? How are they going to handle it? And how are they going to handle their whole lives being splashed in the tabloids and having to deal with kids being rude to them, or kids wanting to be their friends just because they think they're loaded? I don't feel sorry for anything Kate has coming to her. But sadly, I think in years time we'll have heard of worse happening for the Gosselin kids.

I agree with some of the parallels between the Gosselins and the Dionnes although I think some of them are more dramatic than accurate. I respect peoples' position of being concerned for the Gosselin children. I hope for the best for them as well, but my main point of contention is not to vilify Kate - she's a parent who has had to make decisions that affect her life & her children's lives and not every decision is good and not every decision is bad. In that regard, I think she's no different than any parent and I, for one, cut her some slack because of that.

When a person is making the kind of money that Kate is do you really need to publish "personal letters" that you wrote for your children so that every Tom, Dick and Harry can read them? Is it difficult for any parent to have a set of twins and a set of sextuplets, especially close together in ages as these kids are? I'm sure it is, however, this is something that Kate wanted to do so I really see no need for her to complain about how hard it is now. Also most people would want their children to have a close relationship with their family members. Kate doesn't want this for her children. To me that is one of the wrong ways to raise children.

I don't understand the arguement about the cost of day care for 8 kids. Afterall they have nannies now. Seems to me that day care would be less expensive than having a nanny that stays with the children overnight. Kate could get a "real" job if she really wanted one. Instead she prefers the spotlight. Great for her if that is how she wants to make her money but think about the kids and what is best for them. The kids don't need to be the breadwinners in this family. That job should fall on the shoulders of the mom and dad.

Kate and Jon had two beautiful daughters, then Kate decided she wanted more kids. From what I understand Jon was happy with the two they already had. Kate needs to shut up and sit down. She got herself into this situation and now she needs to be a responsible adult and deal with it.

I do not think Kate got in this position all alone. It did take something from Jon to produce these kids.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3929567;
    I do not think Kate got in this position all alone. It did take something from Jon to produce these kids.
    True. But I don't hear Jon complaining about how difficult it is to raise 8 kids. I hear Kate complain about it every time I hear anything come out of her mouth.

I don't think the show is exploiting the kids at all. Just like The Little Couple (love them!) isn't exploiting dwarfism. TLC reality shows are a cut above reality shows on say Bravo or MTV. TLC shows are more documentary and give us a peek into the lives of unusual people or people in unusual circumstances. Just because the kids are making money doesn't mean it's exploitive. (For it be exploitive the kids who have to be treated badly in some way, e.g. kids in a sweatshop.) Also, just because the kids are on TV doesn't automatically mean they are in for a life of doom and gloom. That's like saying kid actors are automatically going to become druggies and screw ups. The bad ones always get the attention. For every screwed up child actor, there are probably 10 that went on to have great, productive lives. What about kid actors like: Jodie Foster, Ron Howard, Sarah Jessica Parker (Square Pegs), Matthew Broderick, the kids from Malcolm in the Middle, cast of Facts of Life, most of the cast of Family Matters, most of the cast of Saved by the Bell, kids from Mr. Belvedere, most of the cast from Growning Pains, cast from Give Me a Break or 227 or Wonder Years or Head of the Class or the Cosby Show or Blossom or Punky Brewster, Matt Dillon, Nia Long, Cuba Gooding, Jon Cryer, Dakota Fanning, kids from Little House on the Prairie, or Shirley Temple (boy, I'm showing my age!) Former kid actors doing great doesn't make the news! I think most critics of Kate Plus 8 who say the show is "exploitive" don't really watch the show or just don't like Kate. Watching the show is a great stress reliever for many people, myself included. It's nice to come home and watch people just having fun.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3929567;
    It has been quoted many times that Jon didn't want to try for more children after the twins - he was happy with two. Khate kept insisting and finally convinced him to go along. (Though I have to say, I certainly wasn't THERE for those discussions, I have read it multiple time and maybe in her book "Multiple Blessings.")

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by meemee2000;3929584;
    I don't think the show is exploiting the kids at all. Just like The Little Couple (love them!) isn't exploiting dwarfism. TLC reality shows are a cut above reality shows on say Bravo or MTV. TLC shows are more documentary and give us a peek into the lives of unusual people or people in unusual circumstances. Just because the kids are making money doesn't mean it's exploitive. (For it be exploitive the kids who have to be treated badly in some way, e.g. kids in a sweatshop.) Also, just because the kids are on TV doesn't automatically mean they are in for a life of doom and gloom. That's like saying kid actors are automatically going to become druggies and screw ups. The bad ones always get the attention. For every screwed up child actor, there are probably 10 that went on to have great, productive lives. What about kid actors like: Jodie Foster, Ron Howard, Sarah Jessica Parker (Square Pegs), Matthew Broderick, the kids from Malcolm in the Middle, cast of Facts of Life, most of the cast of Family Matters, most of the cast of Saved by the Bell, kids from Mr. Belvedere, most of the cast from Growning Pains, cast from Give Me a Break or 227 or Wonder Years or Head of the Class or the Cosby Show or Blossom or Punky Brewster, Matt Dillon, Nia Long, Cuba Gooding, Jon Cryer, Dakota Fanning, kids from Little House on the Prairie, or Shirley Temple (boy, I'm showing my age!) Former kid actors doing great doesn't make the news! I think most critics of Kate Plus 8 who say the show is "exploitive" don't really watch the show or just don't like Kate. Watching the show is a great stress reliever for many people, myself included. It's nice to come home and watch people just having fun.
    Many, if not most of those you mention began their careers as tweens or teens, to me that is a difference. I don't recall any footage of their being potty trained on tv or cameras in their bedrooms to capture private moments. As far as Shirley Temple Black is concerned, she has told horror stories about her upbringing, if I'm not mistaken, she wrote about it in her autobiography. Just because she "turned out well," doesn't mean she didn't suffer.

+ Reply to Thread