+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: America's Got Talent

If the prize weren't a Vegas act and $1 million, I might be willing to give Sally Cohn a pass. Even if she did get through over better acts (and that's not to say the acts I'm thinking of didn't completely bomb out in Vegas). But in reality, I don't know if I see someone who screams headliner in this group this year. Even the singers. There's obviously a bigger picture concerned but you have to be able to make it in the industry. I'm not too surprised Kevin Skinner hasn't hit it big, but he seemed like a nice guy and I was hopeful. I don't recall the two other singers who won this show. I'm in agreement on the kid acts. I enjoy the variety aspect of this show but face it, a kiddie dance trio or singing duet probably isn't going to do much aside from the press circuit after the show. I know I mentioned Sally Cohn in my post about not getting their hopes up, but I worry sometimes these kids might have false expectations that even if they don't win, the judges drilled it into their heads that they're that good and/or have an emotional back story that agents will be beating down their doors to sign them. I don't like to see 11 year olds cry in the face of defeat. Some of the kids that come on here are very talented, and if they stick with whatever they're doing will probably only continue to excel. I wonder if there's some sort of stipulation that if an act that's under 18 wins, they make it so the parents can't spend all the money. I'd hope so. There's always going to be the WTF picks, and those with mediocre talent but who have the story. It seems like talent takes a backseat to other criteria in getting ahead on shows like this.
    Last edited by karalott; 07-18-2010 at 08:03 AM.

The painter, I believe her name is Maricar, did that painting underwater and everyone exclaimed that it was Piers. With that upturned collar I feel she was painting Elvis. Any thoughts on that?
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

I don't get why everyone loves the two girl singers....their sob story is what is getting them through. I agree with the other person that said they are out of tune.

I thought it was Elvis too so you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia;3990906;
    I don't get why everyone loves the two girl singers....their sob story is what is getting them through. I agree with the other person that said they are out of tune.

I thought it was Elvis too so you are not alone.
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I think they have a great backstory and I think people are voting for them so they can 'realize their dream' before they are too sick and unable to. They have good voices, but I don't hear anything spectacular in them and I didn't even think they sung very well in Vegas. The ones with the sadder backstory are always going to tug at the heartstrings of the viewer. The young girl who ran away from home who couldn't seem to get over her nerves is another one that will garner a lot of votes. I think that's why the kite kid didn't get through. I think the judges thought he would get ALL the votes!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Piers is being really tough tonight - although I can't completely disagree with him - but at least at this point the audience will vote off those who aren't worthy, so his x-ing people is kind of mean.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;3994660;
    at least at this point the audience will vote off those who aren't worthy, so his x-ing people is kind of mean.
    There's no reason for the judges to buzz anyone tonight since it's the pulic who will vote. We should be able to see the whole performance without interruption IMO so we can vote wisely. Boo on Piers:nono

Nancy

I watched a little tonight as there was nothing on. I've never agreed with the judges buzzing anyone at this stage. They have the chance to do that during auditions, and the audience should get to see the entire act (no matter how awful it was). I was happy to see Michael Grimms perform. I hope this show opens doors for him. They have had some very talented singing acts pass through over the seasons and I wish they had a better track record in getting signed and making waves in the entertainment industry. Ascendance was the standout for me tonight. I had forgotten they made it through. Now there's a different act that I could see headlining in Vegas.

FORT Fan

Interesting night. I didn’t see Cheer S.F. when they auditioned. It must’ve been one of those nights I missed. They’re O.K. I guess, but not for Vegas.

Alice Tan Ridley has a really great voice. She has that MoTown sound going for her. She’s definitely a contender.

I like the Mona Sampath Dance Co. Piers and Sharon liked them but there was a disagreement on whether they should do traditional Bollywood or keep the modern moves that they did in the performance. I liked it regardless but traditionalists will disagree I’m sure.

When there was a Bollywood routine on SYTYCD last week someone said the moves weren’t as “crisp” as they should be, but I really enjoyed the performance and I think that’s what’s important. Will an audience enjoy themselves is the question.

Ironhorse is more of a lounge act than a headliner it seems to me. Kind of corny. They’re blaming their poor performance on the fact that they only had 90 seconds but other acts do O.K. in the time allowed so no excuse.

The strongman is very impressive and could do well in Vegas, but I’m not sure the voting public will vote for him. I think the public would be more inclined to vote for a singer or dance troupe. It was funny when they showed how many guys it took to turn that car upright.

Ronith is terrible. How did he get on the show? Piers doesn’t get that this guy is trying to be funny just like that the bad magician was also trying to be funny. Unfortunately, neither are funny. Howie thinks so but we all know Howie has weird taste.

Ahhh, Hannibal Means. People think I’m nuts because I like his voice. You have to look past his weird personality and just listen to his voice. He’s perfect for opera. He did a song from “The Lion King” and had dancers representing different animals surrounding him just like they do in the play. Piers did not understand why the dancers were there. I doubt he has any chance of winning, but he’s getting exposure so maybe someone will see him and put him in their opera. I hope so. I like him, weirdness and all.

I enjoyed Wreckless a lot. Very talented and innovative.

Lil Chris was out of tune and he’s too young. He should get some training, wait a couple of years and go on American Idol.

I found AscenDance boring. The judges liked them just because they are unique, but unique does not always translate into success.

I had trouble seeing what the trick was when Antonio Restivo was on because the camera man was too far away most of the time, but I do like him from having seen him in the audition phase.

I rather liked Michael Grimm but didn’t like the song he sang.

The acts I would like to see go forward are Alice Tan Ridley, Mona Sampath Dance Co, Wreckless, Hannibal Means, Antonio Restivo and Michael Grimm. It's hard for me to pick only four so I'll be happy if any of those go through.

Nancy
    Last edited by nabrudigam; 07-21-2010 at 02:11 AM.

FORT Fan

After about my fourth vote, I got a message saying the voting was closed and it was only a couple of minutes after the show so I figured that was a mistake and I dialed again. Sure enough the rest of my votes went through. I wonder if that happened to anyone else and if it did, maybe the people it happened to didn't redial like I did so some votes were therefore "lost". And how would NBC know it was happening?

Nancy

I had that happen to me on DWTS before. You cast one vote, and it tells you your votes are used up. I rarely vote for this show but ran into the same problem last year.

I agree with you on Ronith. I'm not even sure the guy started off being funny, he just realized people were laughing at him, not with him (or maybe he thinks the other way around, but I don't think anyone's laughing regardless). I'm shaking my head at this one. Him and Chipps Cooney I think is the magician that's fake and not funny. I can almost get putting Sally Cohn and the red hair singing out of tune granny through, but not those two. Howie seems to have the mentality that because he stuggled as a comic he knows what it's like to be the underdog no one would give a chance to, and I feel like he comes across believing he knows what America wants. I'd like for the judges to possibly consider the end result and ask if people would pay to see someone like Ronith if the show was headlining in Valentine, Nebraska. I like Asendance because they're different and unique, and quite honestly the talent is so mediocre this year. Much like the Gravity group, they bring something different and could probably put together quite a spectacular show. I think/hope Michael makes it along with Asendance. I saw Alice Ridley and think she'll make it. I didn't see all the acts tonight, but the others that I did I'm not betting on making it through. Hopefully people have enough sense to put Ronith out of his misery.

+ Reply to Thread