+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: America's Got Talent

'America's Got Talent' - Official list of Top 48 for Season 5 announced | NJ.com

Here's an article that lists all 48 acts that made it through. I recognize quite a few, and some of the ones I do am shaking my head at. Some people must have either really screwed up their auditions or didn't fit the story line this year, and I noticed the Haitian band Harmonic wasn't on the list Some of these dance groups and singers I'm not sure if I remember them or not. There were a few who stood out but never caught the names. Don't know if I'll be watching this year. It's really a joke. I'd love to vote for hand whistler lady or the Arnold/Al impersonator, or even Chipps Cooney (he's not a magician no matter what they say), just to have that backfire on them. But it's not even worth the time. I say Prince Poppycock for the win as he's the most entertaining. Given some of the acts who made it, I'm surprised the guy who sneezed didn't make it to Vegas. He fits right in with their talent pool this year.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3974206;
    'America's Got Talent' - Official list of Top 48 for Season 5 announced | NJ.com

Here's an article that lists all 48 acts that made it through. I recognize quite a few, and some of the ones I do am shaking my head at. Some people must have either really screwed up their auditions or didn't fit the story line this year, and I noticed the Haitian band Harmonic wasn't on the list Some of these dance groups and singers I'm not sure if I remember them or not. There were a few who stood out but never caught the names. Don't know if I'll be watching this year. It's really a joke. I'd love to vote for hand whistler lady or the Arnold/Al impersonator, or even Chipps Cooney (he's not a magician no matter what they say), just to have that backfire on them. But it's not even worth the time. I say Prince Poppycock for the win as he's the most entertaining. Given some of the acts who made it, I'm surprised the guy who sneezed didn't make it to Vegas. He fits right in with their talent pool this year.

I was disappointed the singing group of former veterans who were one-time homeless didn't advance. You are right there are some there they are ridiculous - this group may not have been the best singers but they could have be so inspiring to so many people..

Bit disappointed with the final 48 myself - I'd like to have seen the opera singer who was a store owner/worker make it too along with Prince Poppycock. But, I can see where they gave the latter the nod - he was very, very good at 75 percent of his singing voice, and I'd like to hear him again at 100 percent. His costume too also helps out - he shows you can look ridiculous and still have a knockout voice.

Out of all the groups besides him, I'm also rooting for AscenDance, the rockwall dancers. That was very pretty and difficult to do. Not only that, there is room for them to expand some of their dance, though yes they will have to be careful in certain areas.

Now, if one of these groups too are the ones who did the dancing with pogo sticks, I'll be rooting for them too - they're unusual but cool at the same time, as the violin group that did electric violin or something (they were in Chicago).

But, looking at the group this year - WHY is it that people seem to think the ONLY talent is really singers? There are far too many singers in these events year after year, and most of the time a singer has won the show - or at least the American version. I only remember the ventriloquist as being the only one winner who hasn't been a singer on the show. But, I"m not surprised at the decision - lately any talent show I've been a part of they think that you have to either sing or play an instrument (I'm usually the only non-musical one - I juggle).

FORT Fan

I wish I knew how to contact the show so we could start a campaign or let them know we want the vets (New Directions) and Carlos Ponte (Singer) back or at let them know how unhappy we are with their choses.

Nancy

FORT Fogey

What happened to the yo-yo kid?

I forgot about him. You could always e-mail NBC. It seems like there's a lot of unhappy viewers this season (more than usual, as we all know every season it's never "good enough" ) They've even been deleting comments on the official message board, per one article I read. Maybe the acts they cut weren't the best, especially compared to some other singers, but you can't tell me red haired granny was worth putting through over the homeless vets or Harmonic (the Haitian band).

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3979753;
    I forgot about him. You could always e-mail NBC. It seems like there's a lot of unhappy viewers this season (more than usual, as we all know every season it's never "good enough" ) They've even been deleting comments on the official message board, per one article I read. Maybe the acts they cut weren't the best, especially compared to some other singers, but you can't tell me red haired granny was worth putting through over the homeless vets or Harmonic (the Haitian band).
    I agree - the casting save a few listed is really bad. Too many singers (I don't mind some, but this is a talent show, not "American Idol"), and some you KNOW are not going to last long and shouldn't be there over truer talent such as the two you listed.

It's probably why I'm rooting for people such as the ones I've mentioned - those take true talent and skill. I think that Future Funk group is the two youngsters who can breakdance, and I liked them. They were talented and I feel worthy of their spot.

But still - three acts right now I'm liking out of 48 is NOT boding well for watching the show on a regular basis.

FORT Fogey

Ok. Two mysteries - the yo-yo kid and the couple that had to drop out. I hope they are o.k.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3980610;
    I agree - the casting save a few listed is really bad. Too many singers (I don't mind some, but this is a talent show, not "American Idol"), and some you KNOW are not going to last long and shouldn't be there over truer talent such as the two you listed.

It's probably why I'm rooting for people such as the ones I've mentioned - those take true talent and skill. I think that Future Funk group is the two youngsters who can breakdance, and I liked them. They were talented and I feel worthy of their spot.

But still - three acts right now I'm liking out of 48 is NOT boding well for watching the show on a regular basis.
    I didn't see the yo-yo kid on the official list of 48 acts If the show wanted sob stories they didn't go for the truly inspirational like the homeless vets. I guess they wanted people like the hand whistler that they felt people sitting at home could relate to. At least I feel like that's Howie's logic in thinking. I heard that the fire magician has actually already headlined in Vegas for several years and his act didn't work out, so he went bankrupt. If that's true, kind of takes away from the whole experience of someone getting to live an impossible dream. I don't know if there's rules for already performing or headlining your own show. But he was one of few who stood out and who's different. I'm fine with singers, but the track record of the winners who were singers should tell them something. I'm going to assume they have a certain number of slots for each type of genre and probably give more slots to act that people will want to see (or so they think). Given all the hype over singers this year, I'll stand by saying one of them wins.

AGT isn't exactly a stepping stone for careers. The season 2 winner being the exception, but I've never heard of the other winners or even some of the standouts of their respective seasons having huge success after the show. Maybe I'm wrong. I think that big family band that was on season 3 performs in Branson, but did that before the show (I'd seen them elsewhere prior to the show). They're about it. But it would be nice if they actually got more diverse acts, maybe fewer acts, and put people through with talent. Of course I don't think this is a big enough show like Idol where horrible acts backfire in sending home better performers or people vote in droves. I'm tuning out unless it sounds worth tuning in. It's a long way to the semi's and finals anyway.

FORT Fan

Kung Fu heroes - I’ve seen better

Christina & Ali - out of tune

Airpocalypse - Stupid

Hot shot tappers - I like them

Paul Safy - so so, no pizzazz

Future funk - Cute but too young

Sally Cohn Hand whisler - No comment

Nick Pike – Nothing special aside from the fire as Piers said.

RNG , girl dancers - too young , Not polished

Maricar, painter - Dopey

Fighting Gravity – I liked them from the beginning

Nathaniel Kenyon – Very nice voice. Has possibilities. He could go far.

The only contestants worth watching were Hot Shot tap dancers, defying gravity and Nathaniel Kenyon. Tho’ Future Funk were cute, they’re just too young for this show.

Nancy
    owner

+ Reply to Thread