+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: America's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3968372;
    Does the audience get to start voting with the final 48?
    I think so. I'm trying to remember, I think 12 acts perform, then the following night is the results show, and only a certain number make it through to the semi finals. Then the following week the next 12 perform, and so on. 48 seems like a lot but NBC has to cover the whole summer. AGT is really all they have. And really, it runs as long as Idol, who has far less acts on the stage.

Each act got 90 seconds to perform but one crazy old lady sang for 10 minutes and not one note was in tune and yet they sent her through to Hollywood anyway, against Piers' objections I'm sure because he was complaining the whole time she was singing.
    This is what I don't understand. In the audition rounds, Piers main objection to certain acts is they aren't Vegas worthy. I don't think one act got put through last night that I see as Vegas worthy. I might pay to see Michael Grimms or Gabourey's mom (what's her name?). The rest? I wouldn't pay to see them in my hometown. Hand whistler lady getting a Vegas act? I was thinking what Howie said when they were going through the acts, and making remarks about an act not being the best but being unique, funny, something that was different-like he was trying to justify what America would want to see. I'm going to assume they probably have a quota of each kind of act they're allowed, but really, some stinkers got through over real talent. I think there should be an age limit, because no kid act is going to win. They don't have a chance and I think hearing Vegas and seeing kids probably doesn't bode well for them. It's exposure, but has anyone but Terry Fatore ever been heard of again after the show was over? I don't even remember who won the first or third seasons, and many of the acts I recall when someone brought them up, but it didn't give them a big break.

FORT Regular

It really annoys me that Antonio Restivo made it through. Besides the fact that he is scamming the audience by making it seem that he's never performed in Las Vegas before, his act last night was basically the same as one from the auditions of one the other magicians (forget the name, but it was the guy who did the boring slight of hand act last night). It was the exact same act, except Antonio added fire. I can't believe nobody said anything about that.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I find it embarassing that the devil/hooker/"painter" made it through. I think they called her clever? Really?

It's embarassing if you compare it to someone like the sand painter from Ukraine's Got Talent:

YouTube - Kseniya Simonova - Sand Animation (??????? ??? ?????? / Ukraine's Got Talent)

Now THAT's talent. Not just a chest and a tight outfit. *sighs*

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3968753;
    I find it embarassing that the devil/hooker/"painter" made it through. I think they called her clever? Really?

It's embarassing if you compare it to someone like the sand painter from Ukraine's Got Talent:

YouTube - Kseniya Simonova - Sand Animation (??????? ??? ?????? / Ukraine's Got Talent)

The Ukranians are laughing out loud at us right now.

That was amazing; thank you for sharing.

I'm guessing they're banking on her being an early exit to make room for the people with real talent. So that's really all she did-paint in a sexy outfit that she's busting out of? They had someone like her last season, except she yodeled.

I've never been crazy about the acts that make it through. Some really good ones unfortuantely fall by the wayside with audience voting, but the judges don't really make good decisions in a lot of cases. At times I'd swear they just throw names in a hat and select the finalists that way. There's a lot I like about this show, but I wish it was better explained about the selection process.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3968753;

I find it funny that Howie commented on the other body painter.."That is ridiculous"...and yet found the "Boob-devil" stunning????

I think Howie is seeing something we aren't (giggle..giggle)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3968464;
    [snipped]...
    This is what I don't understand. In the audition rounds, Piers main objection to certain acts is they aren't Vegas worthy. I don't think one act got put through last night that I see as Vegas worthy. I might pay to see Michael Grimms or Gabourey's mom (what's her name?). The rest? I wouldn't pay to see them in my hometown. Hand whistler lady getting a Vegas act? I was thinking what Howie said when they were going through the acts, and making remarks about an act not being the best but being unique, funny, something that was different-like he was trying to justify what America would want to see. I'm going to assume they probably have a quota of each kind of act they're allowed, but really, some stinkers got through over real talent. I think there should be an age limit, because no kid act is going to win. They don't have a chance and I think hearing Vegas and seeing kids probably doesn't bode well for them. It's exposure, but has anyone but Terry Fatore ever been heard of again after the show was over? I don't even remember who won the first or third seasons, and many of the acts I recall when someone brought them up, but it didn't give them a big break.

What?!!! The hand-whistle lady got through! Unbelievable. I've only caught bits and pieces of the show this season, and the acts I've seen has been mediocre at best.

I remember Terry Fator winning (and about a year ago, a friend of my mother-in-law sent her an email with a video clip - the friend had been to Terry's Vegas show and thought it the funniest thing ever). After that it was an opera singer from Missouri. Last year? All I could remember that the woman opera singer/breast cancer survivor didn't win. I had to look up who won. It was Kevin Skinner, the chicken catcher country singer from Kentucky. He released a CD in March, but it didn't make the Billboard charts.

I guess I didn't watch the first season - an 11-year-old girl won that season. So kids can win. Personally, I can't see a kid act working in Vegas and would be happy if they had a minimum age of 16 or 18.

Maybe they should start calling it "America's Got Singers" or "America Will Send You Nowhere". Terry's the only non-singer to win and he's doing the best out of every winner. I remembered Kevin Skinner from last year, but never heard anything about him afterwards. I know there was a bit of backlash over him winning, but I did enjoy him. Not enough to buy a CD of his or go to a live performance, but I liked his back story and how much this experience just meant to him. I'm surprised an 11 year old would win, but since they promote the top prize as being a Vegas show, I do think the age limit should be raised. A dance group of 7-10 year olds wouldn't exactly make the best headliners.

Really, 48 slots to fill and they need to put through that many stinky acts? Are they trying to prop their winners up this year? I can't believe the homeless singing group got cut, but the bad impersonation man made it through. He was funny the first time, but what's he going to do for his encore? And the hand whistler, the red haired granny, the bad comedian, the fake illiusionist. If they think they're going to tug at America's heart strings and give them what they want, I think they (probably Howie and Sharon) need a crash course. I call Gabourey's mom to win. Not only for name recognition of who her daughter is, but she's about the only one with talent going through that has a chance.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3971085;
    (edited for space, yo.)

Really, 48 slots to fill and they need to put through that many stinky acts? Are they trying to prop their winners up this year? I can't believe the homeless singing group got cut, but the bad impersonation man made it through. He was funny the first time, but what's he going to do for his encore? And the hand whistler, the red haired granny, the bad comedian, the fake illiusionist. If they think they're going to tug at America's heart strings and give them what they want, I think they (probably Howie and Sharon) need a crash course. I call Gabourey's mom to win. Not only for name recognition of who her daughter is, but she's about the only one with talent going through that has a chance.
    I found it very curious that they didn't show the second audition of Gabourey's mom as well as the boob-job devil painter. Why not? I think there is a possibility that they had a poor or lackluster second audition, but the show's producers consider them must-haves for the (as you mentioned) name recognition, and for the controversy.

I would prefer all the acts to be of high caliber, and I think some of the really good ones got cut. But the producers may have been looking for a wide range to draw more audience, and to creat controversy. This particular reality show can be so insulting to it's audience in that manner.

I cannot believe some of the ones they put through and let go those with real talent. Air band .... hand whistler ... REALLY? No one will want to pay good money to see these acts and that's what it should boil down to. Another year of disgust for me.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread