+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: America's Got Talent

Well, this week's results are in, and the other half of this season's Top Ten will be revealed. Piers mentioned a "Top Five" at one point, so I guess that means we'll be going from ten to five to our winner in the next two weeks.

Alright, the results:

Gymkana vs Steven Retchless vs Silhouettes

Oh God. Ugh. It better be Steven Retchless or nobody. Rather nobody. Let's see.

Advancing: Silhouettes

What the hell? WHY? Someone please tell me! I'd guess people felt sorry for them for not doing as well and wanted to give them another chance? And based their votes on their QF performance rather than this. Or for some reason thought they were great this week. Whatever. Sucks. And of course putting them last again last night helped their chances. Really lame. Ugh. Night already ruined. But I'm dedicated to the show so let's go on.

Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. vs Anna Graceman

The first word that came to mind was "both". Let's confirm it.

Advancing: Anna Graceman

!!!

I'm shocked. Wow. Congrats to Anna, who was a clearer yes, but I feel bad for Landau. Oh well, congrats on making it this far.

But wait, Nick has something to say.

Landau is moving on as well!

Yay! Nick did this back in Season 4 with an act so it wasn't as surprising as it would have been if I didn't know.

Professor Splash vs Fatally Unique vs Summerwind Skippers vs Landon Swank

Send them all home. Really. I want Kinetic King and Smage Bros. through and if someone here makes it then that won't be happening. But I bet Landon makes it. Tonight though I won't be too surprised if it's Professor Splash.

Advancing: Landon Swank

Yay. Expected.

Which leaves us with three.

Smage Bros. Riding Shows vs The Kinetic King vs Snap Boogie

One has gotta go. And I'm hoping it's Snap and my two favs left face the judges.

The act going home is...

The Kinetic King

UGH! It gets worse and worse. So far, one of my least favorite result shows since the first quarterfinal in Season 5.

Leaving:

Smage Bros. Riding Shows vs Snap Boogie

It better be Smage. It better be.

Sharon votes first, and goes for...

Snap Boogie

Piers votes second, and goes for...

Smage Bros.

It's all up to Howie, who, for me, is known for making stupid deciding votes. Come on...

Smage Bros.

Thank you! Snap is out and Smages move on.

I really disagree with some of the Top Ten, but here they are:

Team iLuminate
    POPLYFE
    Lys Agnes
    Miami All Stars
    West Springfield Dance Team
    Silhouettes
    Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
    Anna Graceman
    Landon Swank
    Smage Bros. Riding Shows

For me, this season's already pretty much ruined. There are only, like, two or three acts that I think should win, but one definitely stands out. Next week, apparently, we lose half. For me three are definite outs, the others are okay.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 08-31-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Johnny, I'm going to say I agree with you and sum it up a bit shorter then a summary of the whole night:

Silhouettes, Landau, Anna, Landon - all were EXPECTED and typical of this audience.

Smage bros. ... Thankfully they advanced if Kinetic King couldn't. While I honestly didn't expect Kinetic King to advance, I would've prefered him over Silhouettes because his did work perfectly and didn't have errors. Silhouettes did.

Landau and Anna are going to have to avoid being pitchy because both were noticably so this go.

Silhouettes shouldn't be there with that confusing and poorly done sketch. I'm sorry but the trees were horried, and the "Tree" in the mountains? - um... that wasn't them doing it. Too thin - it was a cutout. They also had poor timing on the fastening of the plastic plates on the globe (As I said, I had a feeling of the Hiroshima memorial - that peace tower where the cranes were, and I'm sorry if this is tactless but that is EXACTLY what I felt. (Nevermind on rewatching their sketch tonight I couldn't even READ or UNDERSTAND what they had spelled out in their sketch? - and yes, I would've recognized most foreign langauges. ).

Never mind that their last go they had the famous Iwo Jima picture BACKWARDS (yes, they showed the photo of the statue; however, the statue is 99.99999999 percent of the time shot in the SAME direction - the lead soldier is facing RIGHT, not left).

Landon... I actually liked the trick; however, he will have to step it up or he will not win this. Out of the group he was in I would've prefered the skippers.

Anyone else feel like Mr. Piers Morgan get what he wanted - especially with Retchless (and anyone else notice Retchless really truly had a PO'd expression at Morgan last night - justifiably because he is again obviously homophobic with this when you have two other acts use poles in them and were men too)?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*sigh*... OK, enough ranting. My assessment of the final 10:

Team iLuminate - the one act that should TRULY win this season, and if they don't it will be a huge travesty. They are the only ones who have consistently upped their anty and have shown up the other acts by far. I can see them varying it up enough to where they can win.

POPLYFE - would prefer they not win because of their age; however, if they do what they did last go and up their act, would be an OK win.

Lys Agnes -The ONE singer I would honestly buy their CD in an instant if she has that "Bring me to Life" one on it. Still think it's more haunting than the version that is sung by the main artist.

Miami All Stars - I like this team; the ONLY team I want to see win of the dancers. They're fun, they can vary up their act, and they could carry a Las Vegas Act.

West Springfield Dance Team - Same dances over and over again. They are taking away a spot that I feel belonged to someone else.

Silhouettes - They're green, it showed last night, and I feel they advanced because they were in the spot that people tend to remember the act more. And honestly? - I remembered it but for the wrong reasons. The ONLY way they can win this is if they blow us away with a PERFECT shaping of items. They also need to pay attention to overlays for obvious glaring errors such as the one I mentioned with Iwo Jima.

Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - Would be OK with him winning, but he must be careful with his pitches. He will have a successful career post show - in fact, he could possibly be some character in a new Rat Pack (he's a little too buff to portray Sammy Davis Jr. in the original group - though he has the singing chops for it). (BTW, this is a compliment - he is good, but his semis was not a good performance - backstory helped him).

Anna Graceman - Same as above with Landau on all aspects save Rat Pack. She could have some good post show success, and I do think we're seeing a future star if she doesn't give up on her singing.

Landon Swank - He will have to up his game - period. I think he did well enough to advance to the finals and be one of if not the first magician to do so, but if he doesn't up it, he will not win.

Smage Bros. Riding Shows - Personally, I truly feel the ONLY act who can rival iLuminate for the title. I loved their routine last night even with the one error (which was relatively minor compared to other mistakes last night). They will have to up their game and I think they can do it.

Sorry for the long post, but this is how I feel on the whole shebang.

Sadly, I wish that I didn't get the exact prediction of who I thought WOULD go on (I even had the judge's choice down correct - Snap or Swank Bros. I've NEVER been perfect on that).

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I am probably going to stick with what I think are the reasons Silhouettes went through. And it's all for the wrong reasons. It's kind of similar to my sob story rant a little bit ago, except this time it's because of the patriotic vote-puller last round. And of course the fact that they're kids makes people love them more. That is what people remembered, didn't really have much to do with last night, and I really believe that. Completely overrated. A lot of people in their recaps and on Youtube thought they should have been cut as well. So what the hell? I'm trying to find ONE good thing to say about them. Okay, I got one. They're unique. That's it. Really. Doesn't mean they're great.

The fact that Kinetic King got eliminated adds insult to injury, due to the fact that I saw a lot more people loved him than the Silhouettes. So again, huh?

To finish off, I'll just say that I hope next week they either GET OUT ALREADY!!!... or they do something that can even turn ME around. But of course even then I'll remember how today sucked.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 09-01-2011 at 01:56 AM.

I just rewatched the Silhouettes act on youtube to try and figure out what they were spelling. One of the comments said "create the world". If you pause while watching, you can sorta make it out, but it wasn't good at all. Each word is done seperately during the act.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Shoepie, Landon's dad knew which boxes the judges had picked. Landon simply had to enter the box that was 'safe' once his dad indicated to him the number. (Easy enough to figure out a method of communication... especially since Landon was already wearing a communication device to talk with the audience). The stage was dark, especially behind the boxes, and we were focused on his hologram much of the time. Done and done. That's what I assumed happened.

I'm heartbroken over the Kinetic King. My two favourites left are Poplyfe and the Smage Bros. I've a feeling Anna will go to the top five though. My predictions for top five... (depends on actual performances though):
    iLuminate
    Silhouettes
    Anna

I think the other two spots are up for grabs... though Lys or Landau or both may take them. My hope is the Silhouettes will have another sub-par performance (I know that's mean) and will finally get the boot.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm really surprised Landau has made it so far. He can sing well but let's face it...he's a copycat singer. There's already been a Frank Sinatra. We don't need another one. If all he's going to do in his act is croon old Frankie tunes, that's going to get old fast. I think at some point he's either going to have to do his own original songs or do remakes of contemporary songs.

To comment on something said earlier, I really dislike the buzzer and find it distracting. I would prefer to have the judges' X's light up when they hit their button and when all three judges have hit their button, THEN sound the buzzer.

Pikachu, I like the idea about the buzzer sounding after all three "X'd" them out; however, because it's similar to the "Gong Show" in the sound (not the intent - there it was only ONE person who could eliminate the mostly bad contestants), I don't think they'd do it.

That said, I think they SHOULD require it in cases where safety is a factor, such as what happened with Gymkana. I had fears this would eventually happen - Piers would be way to trigger happy, and someone would get hurt. And like it or not, major or minor, that gymnast DID get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I am probably going to stick with what I think are the reasons Silhouettes went through. And it's all for the wrong reasons. It's kind of similar to my sob story rant a little bit ago, except this time it's because of the patriotic vote-puller last round. And of course the fact that they're kids makes people love them more. That is what people remembered, didn't really have much to do with last night, and I really believe that. Completely overrated. A lot of people in their recaps and on Youtube thought they should have been cut as well. So what the hell? I'm trying to find ONE good thing to say about them. Okay, I got one. They're unique. That's it. Really. Doesn't mean they're great.
    Oh yeah, no doubt there. I mean, as I've mentioned, it's really bad when someone such as myself think that they're doing a tribute in a negative way, and then the do it poorly on top of it.

If people paid attention to their semi performance only, they'd been ousted I think.

The fact that Kinetic King got eliminated adds insult to injury, due to the fact that I saw a lot more people loved him than the Silhouettes. So again, huh?
    Yeah, as I said - I didn't think he'd win, but Kinetic King is one of two people who should've been able to snag that spot. The other to me was Retchless, the only other act that was eliminated who actually HAD a truly spot on performance and jumped up from previous weeks.

To finish off, I'll just say that I hope next week they either GET OUT ALREADY!!!... or they do something that can even turn ME around. But of course even then I'll remember how today sucked.
    Fortunately, I think that iLuminate will get that pimp spot, which will help them out even more and force Silhouettes to really work hard to advance or they'll fizzle. If they put iLuminate at the beginning like they did Zuma Zuma (sorry, Love KKing but his act there was no choice but to put him in first act), it will potentially harm them.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I'm heartbroken over the Kinetic King. My two favourites left are Poplyfe and the Smage Bros. I've a feeling Anna will go to the top five though. My predictions for top five... (depends on actual performances though):
    iLuminate
    Silhouettes
    Anna

I think the other two spots are up for grabs... though Lys or Landau or both may take them. My hope is the Silhouettes will have another sub-par performance (I know that's mean) and will finally get the boot.
    I hope you are wrong - because that would mean THREE of the top five are singers and that again slants it to being yet ANOTHER singer winning this when the variety acts are overall much better.

If sanity prevails, the top five will be iLuminate, Smage, of the singers Lys, Landon and Miami All Stars I think. These five had the BEST overall acts in their semis with tiny if any errors. Mind you, things can change with the finals acts; however, these are the ones who have been most consistent on stage.

Sadly, I think we will have like you say three singers, one very subpart act and then teh one who SHOULD win this competition (iLuminate).

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

jadewarlock, I hope I'm wrong too. I'm predicting based on what we've seen in the past, and America loves it's singers with a story. Landau is one of them... Anna is a wonder talent at her age and people get a thrill from that too. Lys is talented, period. There's a chance all three will make it. iLuminate is in FOR SURE, unless something completely out of this world happens (they decide to do Russian bar, for example. heehee). And I figure Silhouettes is so popular, once again, something crazy would have to happen for them to be out. I don't like it, it's just the way it is.

I love Anna, but I want her out at this point because I want her to continue to train and to become a star when she reaches a more mature age. Fame absolutely destroys kids, and though Anna seems to have a good head on her shoulders, I would prefer she hone her talent and wow the world when the time is right and for the right reasons (her voice, not because she's a wonderkid).

One great thing about Anna. She wears the wackiest outfits. When she was asked by Howie who dressed her, she said she got to pick it out herself. I love that her parents let her be a kid and have her own choice in that manner rather than trying to dress her perfectly. That's a great sign that her parents have it together.

+ Reply to Thread