+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: America's Got Talent

If it's a singer, then Lys is my #1 pick. Anna's nice but I don't think she should win. If a dance group then iLuminate. But like I said Fatally Unique I like as well so we'll see how they do in their semi. And tbh I kind of, just kind of, regret going for WSDT this last week.

Terry Fator is my favorite winner of all time and will probably remain my favorite winner even if my very favorite this season ends up winning. He can sing anything, do it well with his singing impressions, and ventriloquize all at the same time. Yes, Cas Haley was the best SINGER that season, but Terry Fator was the best ACT. Talking about the solo-singing category with Cas.

Worst winner, however, definitely Kevin Skinner. Him beating Barbara Padilla was the worst decision the voters ever made on the show. Seriously. I could go on a rant about how people that suck get carried far because of their sob stories with sympathy votes over those that are way better, but, that sentence pretty much sums up what it would be about. Christina and Ali, who some of us talked recently in this thread, fit this as well. But of course, there are some with stories though that actually are amazing and could probably fare as well if they didn't have it.

And to be honest, in my opinion, none of the winners, besides Terry, were "amazing". And only a few remain this season that could rise above the others, for me personally.

So tomorrow's the second semi, finally.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 08-29-2011 at 05:42 PM.

FORT Fogey

^^^ I agree about Terry Fator. The act that has my attention this year is Illuminate. The potential for a good Vegas show is way ahead of some of the other front runners. A singer winning, nah. To command an audience in Vegas it seems to me that a singer from this show is not going to get the fame that Terry has found and I think Illuminate can. It is also good for kids.

I will be going on a huge rant here so apologies.

Piers - this show is America's Got Talent, not The Gong Show. You are NOT supposed to use your buzzer just because you hate a person doing a pole dance when you've said other acts using poles (Zuma Zuma, the one special act) have also done so. Honestly, you are showing a clear homophobia in your actions when you show this hypocricy. Steven is by no means perfect in his skills, but seriously, he has more talent in this area than you do.

And buzzing the Skippers AFTER their act is over is classless. I do NOT care that you felt you "had to do it out of fairness for the other acts" it's TACKY to do it after the act is over. And, how do you know that the snapped jump rope in the end was an accident and not to finish the act.

You were also quite tactless toward Gymkana after the guy burned himself. Yes, they were not that strong and probably will not advance, but seriously... there is a way to act, and you didn't act that way. You were tactless.

You sir are EXACTLY the reason why I will not ever try out for that show. Originally I said it was because Howie didn't know the difference between mouth blowing a single ping-pong ball on a xylophone versus multiple bounce juggling on a piano... but now, it's because I worry that with some of my tricks you'd buzz me while juggling, I'd fall and get seriously hurt (I use chairs and climb over them do arabesques on top of two/three foot high stools, etc.)

I mean... REALLY, you're part of the production here, learn that this is a talent competition and not the Gong Show where the only time there is a winner is usually when it's a singer.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Good show tonight. For the most part.

The Kinetic King - It was too fast and short for me tonight. But I still love him a lot. Very very very best of luck to him. I hope he does well.
    Fatally Unique - Well, I said they were my fav dance group besides iLuminate, but I have to say, tonight was not that great. It kind of copied WSDT (who, okay, I do regret going for them last week more than just "kind of"), and I dunno how they'll be doing.
    Landon Swank - He's good, but I kinda think I know how the trick was done. Maybe I'm wrong but I have my guesses. Won't say any more.
    Gymkana - It was alright. Sucks that it had to end early. Might be time to go.
    Summerwind Skippers - Not sure. Not really. But good luck.
    Snap Boogie - Wasn't great but his story might keep him in. Which, of course, I don't agree with.
    Anna Graceman - I gotta say, that was pretty good. She probably will go on.
    Steven Retchless - Firstly, Piers, I like you a lot, but cut the whole "nobody wants to see this" BS. Secondly, I am not sure what to think. Really. Good luck.
    Smage Bros. Riding Shows - I am still a fan. Definitely. If Jeremy made the final last year, why can't they?
    Professor Splash - He didn't blow it by singing, so good for him. But really. IT'S TIME TO GO! It was time last round!
    Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - I still like him. Was a fan since the very beginning. But, was it good enough? Maybe. I don't know. On the fence.
    Silhouettes - Oh of course!! Put them last AGAIN! Jeez! On the act itself: First America, then the world. Great. And yeah I was hoping I'd like it better this time. And I didn't. I have to say that it was pretty pointless. Seriously. All I can remember is them forming some kind of tree from behind the blanket, then running behind the screen and dancing on top of some globe while others were doing random things around it. Please send them home.

Now as far as the acts, let me just sum it up quickly:

The singers were disappointing IMHO. Both Anna and Landau were pitchy and had issues with their singing.

The dance acts - I actually wasn't impressed as I was with the others.

Silhouettes... Honestly, they had several mistakes and given it was two weeks, they showed their weaknesses. I actually do feel like they may not advance. (BTW, I actually thought initially they were starting a tribute to the bombing of Hiroshima because it looked like they were doing the peace tower - or that building that had quite a bit remain intact after the bombing and was almost right under ground zero).

Skippers - had the errors, but I think Piers ended up doing them a favor - I think many MANY people will be irritated with his buzzing them post act that they'll do an "in your face" because the act save the minor trip ups was very VERY good. (BTW, another thing to Piers - these are live acts - they will have tripups even in the show. It's the risk you have with skipping rope. We as humans are more forgiving of the fact that you can do this for many years and still mess up).

Steven Retchless - I don't know - I think his risk could backfire having two other pole dancers in the act. I do believe he proved that he could make it mainstream. He WILL have to push it further if he advances and do a tad more pole dancing than he did. He still did a lot, but it was a risk.

The bike team - OK - a. they did a stunt, messed up after landing it and Piers didn't buzz them (again, showing his fickleness and honestly a bit of favoritism), and b. even still they are deserving of advancing.

Magician - Loved his act - simple but effective. He should advance to the finals - this time the magician has earned it.

Splash... Um, I'm not a fan of him (though I was impressed tonight) and DON'T want him to advance, but seriously judges - when you're falling 70 feet, are expected to up your ante on this type of dangerous act... you're going to have to expect that there is going to be an upping of cushioning in order to make sure you stay alive. I mean - all three here - your comments about him diving into 8 feet of water from 70 feet (which honestly? given he swan dived into the pool that had fire on it was fair), and that it lost the magic because of that decision - damn near gladitorial. And, I'd like to see any of you do that dive into 12 inches of water if you're going to be critical.

Kinetic King - again, not an act I can see win here, but I actually loved his act and his genuine surprise at how well it went. I can't blame him - this is a ONE chance thing, and unless he turned it into acomedy act if it fails (which honestly isn't a bad idea to practice because I think it would make him even more endearing to show that "funny while trying to not be funny" bit he already has signs of), it would spell the doom of his act on the show. He would make a great comedian as well here between acts or something.

Now, as far as advancing - well, I have favorites but honestly I don't know this time who will win. I do know however that a couple of acts - Retchless and the Skippers, will most likely have to have us as fans vote them in. If either are in the judge's choice, I think they will lose out to whomever is in that final two because of Piers

Johnny reading your assessment of Silhouettes you are spot on. They had what two weeks to think of a stronger act than America and they came up with this? I think Iluminate had less time and they came up with a new an inventive sketch (I actually have to admit I liked their arcade one better than the love story because it was reminiscent of the old arcade games).

I don't think they should advance, but they got what is called the pimp spot (the one people remember the most), so I can see them advancing.

Who I hope to see advance - Retchless, the magician, the motorcycle team, and the skippers. The final spot up for grabs. I feel these four really overall had upped their game and showed toughness inspite of Piers' critical responses (espectially Retchless, whom you could tell was a bit pissed (justifiably) with Piers' response -I really think he's getting the same vibe I am on Piers and his act).

Who I think will advance? - Anna, Landau, the bikers, Silhouettes and magician or snap.

FORT Fogey

Piers buzzing the gymnasts caused the mishap with someone missing the center of the fire ring. They had adrenaline pumping and thinking they were doing well. The loud buzz totally disarmed their timing. I also think Piers was told, by production in his ear piece, not to buzz during another act in progress, thus the late buzz on the rope jumpers. That said, I agree with him; neither act should have even been in the finals.

Piers did not buzz the motorcycle mishap that the camera barely caught. Why? He loved them. I still like Piers input on this show.

Love Kinetic King! He will get some gigs due to this show, somewhere.

I do not get the standing ovation for Anna. She was off on a lot of that song.

Sillouettes? Good idea but poor execution. There was a group, long ago, that did this very thing and they were excellent. The only reason they made it this far is because the overlay of photo's gave the illusion they did a good job at creating those pictures in their Amercia theme.

For me, the only act that could make it in Vegas is Illuminate. And I think they will win.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 08-31-2011 at 07:43 AM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

JohnnyK- I think I know how Landon's illusion was done as well... his dad really was key.

I missed a bunch of the acts thanks to American Pickers... lol. I'll catch up what I can and chime in. Love reading what you two have to say, JohnnyK and jadewarlock. It's nice to have at least two people with thorough, thoughtful opinions posting that I can compare my opinions to.

ETA: didn't want to overlook Shoepie. I agree with you on Piers, I don't like his homophobic comments to Retchless, but overall, his opinions generally are the most sane.

Regarding Retchless, which was one act I did catch, I think he's talented but found his act to be really boring to watch. Yes, he's strong and flexible but is he really entertaining much?
    Last edited by spockwhat; 08-31-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

I agree about Piers homophobic remarks, too.

Landon's trick: His father had control over the explosions from a hand held detonator, that seemed clear. The private camera that was supposedly in his box was back stage. The explosions distracted us from seeing him enter the proper box from a wire. He was all dressed in black and had a hood and arm covers on so we could not see. The debris that fell out of the box with him distracted us from seeing the hood and arm covers fall if he failed to attach them properly to the piece of the box that remained hanging with its back to the audience.

What did you think, spockwhat?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    ...[snipped]

Terry Fator is my favorite winner of all time and will probably remain my favorite winner even if my very favorite this season ends up winning. He can sing anything, do it well with his singing impressions, and ventriloquize all at the same time. Yes, Cas Haley was the best SINGER that season, but Terry Fator was the best ACT. Talking about the solo-singing category with Cas.
    I agree. Terry's an amazing talent and a perfect act for Vegas. Some of the opera singers have been very talented and I enjoy listening to them, but seriously, how many people want to go to Vegas to hear opera? Or no-name singers of any sort when you have big-name shows to choose from.

+ Reply to Thread