+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: America's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    And - Sharon is the wife of the lead singer of Black Sabbath, so... I can see why she's a bit weird.
    Point taken. How could I forget after having watched the Osbournes?

Howie shows his favouritism for people as well... comics for example, regardless of their talent. But Sharon needs a pill before she approaches a talented gay person. She just does.

Thinking on it a bit more I agree - she does. IMHO she may be trying too hard to be too nice to counter some of the negatives of being Mrs. Ozzy Osbourne at times (which still does happen even with the turnaround the family has had over the years), and it goes the other way.

That said, I do find the whole family quite interesting because in spite of all the rough past they have had - their choices mind you but still rough past - they are at the heart a loving family. I think that love is what we're seeing, but she's expressing it a tad wrong, as you say especially in how she handles gay contestants.

BTW, I did a short check up on the New Braunfels' site regarding Kevin Colis, and he said that he was quite intimidated about competing against the other singers, but he's quite happy to be there. Unfortunately, their site is now a subscription site, and I really don't want to fork the money over to read only a couple of stories on their site.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

And so ends another week of AGT. Five acts are in the finals and next week we get our other five. How the finals will work this season, I am still unsure. Will it be just a Top 10? Will they go down to a Top 4 from the ten again? I don't know.

Gonna do another quick recap.

Sandou Trio Russian Bar vs Zuma Zuma vs Matt Wilhelm vs Team iLuminate

Here I know iLuminate is going through but I thought there was going to be a second as well. But...

Advancing: Team iLuminate

Only Team iLuminate moves on from the four and the others are going home. Too bad. I liked Zuma Zuma.

Next up:

POPLYFE vs Lys Agnes

Well here I was going for Lys out of the two. But after Nick revealed this was the closest vote ever with only like a tenth of a percent or whatever between them, I figured both were going through.

Advancing: Both of them

Yep. Two more spots to go.

Melissa Villasenor vs Miami All Stars vs Kevin Colis

I was sure Kevin was going home and thought that either one of the other two would make it, or all three were out. But one did move on, while the others went home.

Advancing: Miami All Stars

I have to say that that was a bit of a surprise.

Leaving us with three.

Beth Ann Robinson vs Daniel Joseph Baker vs West Springfield Dance Team

I liked all three of them, but unfortunately only one could go through. As much as I liked WSDT last night more than before, I was still putting them third here, based on who I wanted to see move on.

One has to go home before we are left with the two facing the judges' vote. That act is...

Beth Ann Robinson

Too bad. But out of the three I'd say she'd be the one that can be the least different in the next performance (right?).

So facing the judges' vote are Daniel and WSDT.

Howie votes for...

West Springfield Dance Team

Piers votes for...

West Springfield Dance Team

...sending Daniel home. Too bad. But good for them.

My thoughts on tonight's results? Happy with, I don't know, two or three? Maybe even four?

NEXT WEEK we have...

Anna Graceman
    Fatally Unique
    Gymkana
    The Kinetic King
    Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
    Landon Swank
    Professor Splash
    Silhouettes
    Smage Bros. Riding Shows
    Snap Boogie
    Steven Retchless
    Summerwind Skippers

It'll be good. Most should be good. Although I am not sure how Professor Splash will make his act worthwhile, unless he decides to ditch the high diving and sing, too.

Overall, I was happy with this result. I knew it would be iLuminate and Lys, and was pleasantly surprised with the Miami All Stars (I like swing... and they did improve after having to survive the judge's vote).

Poplyfe as I mentioned had to earn their spot and they did.

The ONE surprise for me was the WSDT - I personally did NOT like their routine. I think Daniel was robbed of a finalist spot, and if he couldn't have been there, I would've prefered Zuma Zuma because they have always varied up their routines.

I personally feel that the WSDT advanced more out of sympathy - they have had to do three routines in a row, and the judges probably wanted to see what they could do with a couple of weeks to prepare. But from what I've seen of their routines the only big change has been the ripping off skin in the dance last night, and even there something like that is very hard to see.

Out of the finalists tonight, I can see Lys and iLuminate vying for the top prize as well as the Miami All Stars. I don't think Poplyfe and I personally feel for sure the WSDT will not win the top prize.

BTW, Prince Poppycock rules. His act was a little too over the top - even for him, and yet his voice is still quite lovely. That said, I found it quite funny that he had trouble with the metal bars to create the Phoenix at the end of the act. He played it off quite well though. It's good to see him back in his normal campy self with singing chops instead of the last time I saw him in the finals - beautiful voice but so counter to his norm that I think it cost him the title.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 08-24-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Out of the list below, I'll give my opinions:

Anna Graceman - didn't see her, so I can't say one way or another.

Fatally Unique - They are going to have to work very hard because there are now two dance teams in the finals (Miami All Stars and WSDT). They have a chance, but it will be tough.

Gymkana - Again haven't seen this group, may have to be enlightened on final list.

The Kinetic King - I love this guy, but have to say that since part of the prize is the Las Vegas show, he probably won't win. I would be surprised if he makes the finals.

Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. - Probably the ONLY other singer left I can see make it to the finals. That said, we saw a popular one here this week get eliminated over a dance team by the judges. In order to ensure his advancing, he will have to win the popular vote. I think if he goes to the judge's vote, and there is a dancer or a beloved act, he'll be eliminated. He would win in a Steven Retchless head to head I think though.

Landon Swank - I hope I'm not getting this fellow and Landau mixed up. Forgot him too - either way.

Professor Splash - If this guy makes the finals the show is simply put a joke. I hope - mostly for his safety -that people DO NOT VOTE for him because if he makes judges vote, I think he may insanely win that vote over even some of the best acts. This is the ONLY act I look at Piers and go "Are you concussed and have amnesia? This is a one note, highly dangerous and potentially fatal act and it's a stupid carnival trick that you can't do for 45 minutes." I respect what Professor Splash does mind you, but seriously, he took the spot of a better act for a cheap thrill IMHO.

Silhouettes - Again, this is the one act I can almost seeing as having a pass to the final show. The ONLY thing that could hurt them is if they do not pay attention to their Silhouettes. A key issue that happened last go is they had the Iwo Jima pic facing the WRONG WAY. In the original 1940s photo the head flag raiser is facing RIGHT, and they had it facing LEFT.

Smage Bros. Riding Shows - This one... though noisy I do like it. I don't think they will win but if they do what they've been doing I can see them at least make the finals.

Snap Boogie - Don't know this fellow.

Steven Retchless - *sigh* Piers will hate him because he's a male pole dancer, Sharon and Howie will like him, and the audience probably will be mixed. I think he will make the finals because of his uniqueness; however, it will highly depend on what his act is this coming week. If he doesn't step it up (i.e. possibly do two poles and move from one to the other) or like the Russian Bar act decides to totally go in another direction (i.e. not pole dance) he will be eliminated. He's got a fair enough shot - Prince Poppycock broke some new ground last year, and Steven could do it this year.

Summerwind Skippers - I really like this team myself, but they will have to be nearly clean this week and can't have a mistake like they did last go. They could easily step it up again this go (i.e. black light outfits, lights/lasers, more fire, etc.). If they do like what happened yesterday with the bicyclist, it will harm them. They have one advantage though - they have a slightly weaker competition.

Next week will be interesting, but for the most part as long as Professor Splash doesn't advance I should be happy with any in the finals.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I'll take a shot at predictions as well.

Anna Graceman: if she keeps doing what she's doing, she's in the final. Top Ten

Fatally Unique: I agree with Jadewarlock. Another day, another dance team? They are going to have to step it up in major way to make it past the competition in this semi.

Gymkana: I see them going the way of Zuma Zuma. Unfortunate, because they are extremely talented.

The Kinetic King: Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think he has the character and enough of an act to make it to the next round. It will all depend on the success of his act though. If he blows it again, he's done for.

Landau Murphy etc.: People love him, his story, his dreads and Sinatra voice. He's on the bubble.

Landon Swank: If he can pull off a really good illusion, I think he has a great shot being the only magician left in the competition. He just stands out from the rest. Top Ten

Prof. Splash: who? what? is he still here?

Silhouettes: Like Anna, if they keep doing what they've done, they're in. I'm not that happy about it, but they are in. Top Ten

Smage Bros. Riding Show: definitely a dark horse. I suspect they'll be on the bubble IF Snap, Landau and the king mess up. That doesn't make their chances very good.

Snap Boogie: I love Snaps dancing and his story. I think he has a good chance, but another dancer? I don't know.

Stephen Retchless: I think he'll make the final solidly. Top Ten

Summerwind Skippers: Fun to watch, but I don't think they'll make it. My feeling is someone with more story (King,Snap or Landau) will edge them out along with the other competition

So my predicts are:
    Silhouettes
    Anna Graceman
    Landon Swank
    Stephen Retchless

Competing for the fifth spot: Landau, The King, and Snap.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    BTW, Prince Poppycock rules. His act was a little too over the top - even for him, and yet his voice is still quite lovely. That said, I found it quite funny that he had trouble with the metal bars to create the Phoenix at the end of the act. He played it off quite well though. It's good to see him back in his normal campy self with singing chops instead of the last time I saw him in the finals - beautiful voice but so counter to his norm that I think it cost him the title.
    OOhhh..I have to agree..I was so looking forward to his performanc last night, he is absolutely the "ipotomy" of a "Las Vegas Act"..campy...showy...over the top! Love this guy! (And right..he DOES HAVE a voice to boot!)..

As for the acts that are advancing, I am also surprised that Miami dance went through..I thought they were good but not sure how ANY of the dance teams can relate to a "vegas act" worthy of the ticket price and a complete show....as Howie says this is the year of the dance?!....(I think he "tweets" too much!)

Fan*addict, I agree on Howie Tweeting too much - he's also the same fellow who thinks that blowing ONE pingpong ball out of your mouth to play a xylophone is the SAME THING as Charles Peachock's multiple bounce juggling on a piano and successfully KEEPING IN TIME AN TEMPO with those particular tunes.

Yes, I personally feel that Peachock should have been in this semis over the likes of people such as Professor Splash. Yes, they were not in the same quarters; however, I cringe knowing a true talent is out over a cheap thrill act. Peachock should've never had to worry about doing that second chance - which he blew but still... he should've been there.

(OK, I am a bit biased because I'm a juggler - and no, not Peachock myself ; however, after last year's talent show here in town where I lost to a semipar singer - and the youth category a much more talented dancer lost out to a VERY subpar singer, I tend to get irritated with judge's logic when they're like this).
    AZChristian likes this.

have to agree with your logic...For me...this show SHOULD be for the "variety acts" those who have no other avenue (so to speak) to showcase their talents and land the "big gig".

We currently have a ton of shows for dancers..and singers..to audition and strutt their stuff, I find it disheartening to see the semi-finals and finals filled with singers , child acts, and dancers/dance groups....just my opinion of course!
    JunkieGirl and AZChristian like this.

+ Reply to Thread