+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Re: America's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    That said, if one of my favorites here doesn't make it, I'd like to see Those Funny Little People make it, because then we'd have a true variety of talent in the semis. And, syncing to "Constantinople" a very fast song, is difficult, even if you just have to open and close your mouth like they do as the little people.
    Does the person inside the costume use their arms/hands to make their mouths move? I know they don't actually use their mouths because the real person's head is in the hat of the costume.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Here's the list of semifinalists:

Anna Graceman
    Beth Ann Robinson
    Daniel Joseph Baker
    Fatally Unique
    Gymkana
    Kevin Colis
    The Kinetic King
    Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.
    Landon Swank
    Lys Agnes
    Matt Wilhelm
    Melissa Villasenor
    Miami All Stars
    Poplyfe
    Professor Splash
    Sandou Trio Russian Bar
    Silhouettes
    Smage Bros. Riding Shows
    Snap Boogie
    Steven Retchless
    Summerwind Skippers
    Team iLuminate
    West Springfield Dance Team
    Zuma Zuma

I hope they fairly divide the two semifinal groups.

And this time, if they do what they do last season, which so far they have been, 5 of both semifinals will go to the final, instead of 4, bringing the total to 10.

I think two of the danger acts (Professor Splash and Sandou Trio Russian Bar) will probably be leaving us this round, while one (Smage Bros. Riding Shows) might have a chance to make the final, because imo they can be more different than the other two.

With six singers left (Daniel J B, Landau, Lys, Poplyfe, Anna, and Kevin), I'm hoping three max make the finals, although I like four or five of them.

We have a few dance acts too. Fatally Unique and Team iLuminate are my favorites. Team iLuminate for the "cool" factor and Fatally Unique because they are the natural best as they don't need any special effects (do they?). Of course Snap is there too but Fatally Unique's quarterfinal I liked more. And of course there are the Silhouettes, who, again, I think are way overrated after their last performance, which I would call a clear ploy to get votes. I hope they do one of two things next round: Either completely change my mind about them, or go home. Although I don't think either will happen. Miami All-Stars and West Springfield are some of the dancers left as well, and I think Miami might be leaving us while WSDT might have a chance. Again, I wasn't really a fan of WSDT, but rather them than some others.

Speaking of "special effects" and "overrated", Matt Wilhelm is there too (what category would he fit?). And right now I say he can go home too.

Oh, and one of my favorites, if not for his act (though I love it too) but for him himself, is Kinetic King. He might not make it but I'd love it if he did

I hope all ten finalists will be great.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 08-19-2011 at 06:25 PM.

soooo semi-finals tonight..apparently noone is interested this board is silent..

For the record..the kids group was pretty good (I am not normally a fan of child groups/acts)....Iluminate was awesome....and the rest have been pretty forgettable...Daniel joseph Baker up now....looks like a cross between Elton John and Liberace with the outfit...he is a "showman" ...and Sharon is spreading the love for him!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I wish this thread would be way more active, too. I post whenever there's something interesting to post or whenever I have anything to say, really.

So yes, Semi-Final # 1 aired tonight, and before I say anything else, I just wanna give a thought about all the "I promise next time will be 100x better" comments that some of the acts say at the end of judges' comments. It's annoying. Especially when those that just weren't good enough try to do this. Let's not fall for them.

Anyway, so, my thoughts on one or two of the acts really changed. Here are my comments:

Zuma Zuma - I like them. I really do. But I am not sure they were up there with some of the others tonight. If they go through it will be somewhat of a surprise, but not a bad one. Depends whose place they take, of course.
    Beth Ann Robinson - She's good, but I'm not really sure. Others in my family like her more than I may, but we'll see. Good luck to her.
    Sandou Trio Russian Bar - What? That one word pretty much sums it all up. One of the biggest screw-ups in the history of AGT. I understand their reasoning for what they did, but don't do it while the competition is still on-going. Not good. Bye bye.
    Kevin Colis - I think he's alright, but I also think it's time for him to go.
    Matt Wilhelm - Well, I thought it was quite better than his last performance. Oh, but I forgot that he did mess up when he fell off. So yeah. Not really for me.
    Poplyfe - A fan favorite, everyone likes them, get great comments from the judges. But for me, they aren't up there with some of the others.
    West Springfield Dance Team - Well. When I said my thoughts on a couple of the acts changed, I was talking about them. I have to say that I liked it. My "no" from last week is turning into a "yes". And the look, well, was it any different? I don't even know anymore, but I'm starting to "get over it" and not care.
    Melissa Villasenor - I think she's nice, but in my opinion, I think it's time to go.
    Team iLuminate - I can't help it. I love them. Every time. They may be "overrated" to some, like I might say about some other acts, but I just think they're so awesome. Possibly my #1 winner pick at this point.
    Daniel Joseph Baker - I liked his last performance better, but I definitely still love him. Will he make it? I have no idea. Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see. I'd love him to, I guess.
    Miami All Stars - Got great judge comments, but, well, I don't really know, actually. But if I had to say anything, I'll have to say no Top 5...
    Lys Agnes - That was amazing. Jai McDowall sang the same song in this year's Britain's Got Talent, and while I loved his more (different show though, so the comparison isn't fair, I know), I still think she is great, too. I think she'll make it.

Okay, so those are my comments. Hope to see more people post and give their thoughts.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 08-23-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Johnny, I wanted to give my comments with your quotes because a lot of these I agree with you and wanted to give my notes.

And for the record, I have been doing projects for an event I'm going to attend, but am not so multitasked I can comment on the show until both are done.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    So yes, Semi-Final # 1 aired tonight, and before I say anything else, I just wanna give a thought about all the "I promise next time will be 100x better" comments that some of the acts say at the end of judges' comments. It's annoying. Especially when those that just weren't good enough try to do this. Let's not fall for them.
    With very few exceptions, I totally agree with you here. There are some, such as Zuma Zuma, and I truly feel the Miami Dance team, they truly mean it. The others... not so much.

Zuma Zuma - I like them. I really do. But I am not sure they were up there with some of the others tonight. If they go through it will be somewhat of a surprise, but not a bad one. Depends whose place they take, of course.
    I really like this team, but I think they may sadly just miss the finals even with the flops here. What would've helped them out more was to show that the chairs really were not attached to each other - which while I believe this is true, not proving it can hurt them. It was dangerous as it was, but that would've only solidified it and I think impress people more. That said, I think this team could get a gig in Las Vegas or even Cirque post show so if they do not advance I see a future for them. They made their fallen friend proud IMHO.

Beth Ann Robinson - She's good, but I'm not really sure. Others in my family like her more than I may, but we'll see. Good luck to her.
    I don't know if she'll advance, but she PROVED that YouTube acts that are not opera singers (and yes, I loved last year's opera singer) can do very well in this show. She did very well and should be proud of what she did advancing or not - she will leave knowing she did her best - and for a 14 year old that can mean the difference between continuing it in the future or not.

Sandou Trio Russian Bar - What? That one word pretty much sums it all up. One of the biggest screw-ups in the history of AGT. I understand their reasoning for what they did, but don't do it while the competition is still on-going. Not good. Bye bye.
    Because of rules here, I can't be much more succinct than I'd like. That said, this group totally blew it, absolutely RUINED their chances at a million dollars and I personally believe may have ruined any chance they have of getting post show work because out of the blue they CHANGE their act. There was NO "Russian Bar" here... none. They may not have advanced, but this group will end up being eliminated IMHO (and yes SHOULD for this reason), and should be embarrased about it.

Kevin Colis - I think he's alright, but I also think it's time for him to go.
    He's better than some singers I've heard on this show, but Howie was right in that he was lucky that the YouTube acts were mostly subpar. I do think as far as where he is from (New Braunfels) he will do well... they use musicians at several events and I've heard they get paid rather well to attend them.

Matt Wilhelm - Well, I thought it was quite better than his last performance. Oh, but I forgot that he did mess up when he fell off. So yeah. Not really for me.
    In fairness to Matt - I don't think it fair to a point he be put on the same semis as iLuminate, who is a far superior light in the dark act. That said, when you are stuck in that situation, you must push it. Sadly he did not and he was eliminated. Personally I thought the tappers/dancers that were eliminated in the show he advanced in were better and would've pushed it further to advance.

Poplyfe - A fan favorite, everyone likes them, get great comments from the judges. But for me, they aren't up there with some of the others.
    I am not a fan of youth acts, but these guys did very well in this semis, took a huge risk and succeeded. Note too that Piers did NOT say anything about the rest of the band backing up the lead singer and question their importance. That shows too they improved. They will possibly advance to the finals, but because they pushed the envelope, took a risk and succeeded, if they do advance, I will not be too disappointed this time. (Though I will say they shouldn't win because of their ages unless they totally blow away the competition - which will be tough). If they are eliminated, they should hold their heads up high.

West Springfield Dance Team - Well. When I said my thoughts on a couple of the acts changed, I was talking about them. I have to say that I liked it. My "no" from last week is turning into a "yes". And the look, well, was it any different? I don't even know anymore, but I'm starting to "get over it" and not care.
    Not as fond of the zombie dancers here, but they did show they want to be here and pushed it. I don't know myself on this group as far as advancing, but given they've had to prove themselves three times in a row, win or lose they should be happy with this performance.

Melissa Villasenor - I think she's nice, but in my opinion, I think it's time to go.
    Another I don't know. Don't think she'll win the whole shebang, but either way she can be happy that at least she left on a stronger performance than her quarters.

Team iLuminate - I can't help it. I love them. Every time. They may be "overrated" to some, like I might say about some other acts, but I just think they're so awesome. Possibly my #1 winner pick at this point.
    This team is the only one I'm almost sure WILL advance to the finals, and they could very easily win this season. I normally do not say this unless I truly feel it. I loved the arcade trick here, and it really DID feel like the game. Loved the other effects like strobes and the like. Their biggest challenger right now will be Silhouettes should both advance IMHO. Their one issue is they are going to have to be VERY careful how they move up here because the finals seriously affected three of the acts last year because of glitches. But yes, THIS group has proven that it can be a 45 minute act.

Daniel Joseph Baker - I liked his last performance better, but I definitely still love him. Will he make it? I have no idea. Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see. I'd love him to, I guess.
    I think on the singers, he has a good shot. He is better on the upbeat performances; however, this showed a nice range too. Don't think he'd win the whole competition though, but should have a decent shot at a recording contract post show.

Miami All Stars - Got great judge comments, but, well, I don't really know, actually. But if I had to say anything, I'll have to say no Top 5...
    I'm going to be Piers here - out of the two group acts, I think this one has the edge. Swing is not as easy to do and they did it quite well. That said, they will have a challenge for the finals.

Lys Agnes - That was amazing. Jai McDowall sang the same song in this year's Britain's Got Talent, and while I loved his more (different show though, so the comparison isn't fair, I know), I still think she is great, too. I think she'll make it.
    Lys is probably the only other one I'm pretty sure SHOULD advance. She was IMHO even better than the person who actually sings that song in the version commonly known in the general populace - and yes, I feel it's a bit more scary done in opera. What I also love about her is that she is one of a few who do NOT have people (at least I've seen) as dancers or interpreters to the music - it's just her singing. Will she win finals? I don't know, but I think she may still have success post show.

Who will be the finalists? - Only two I can see for sure are iLuminate and Lys. The other three for me are Zuma Zuma, Miami All Stars, and the last spot open for Beth Ann, Melissa or Daniel.

The only acts I do NOT want to see advance are the Russian Bar because they totally disrespected the reasons why WE voted them in (and Piers probably didn't even really give that issue justice), and Matt (he fell).

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion

I don't know how else to say this, so I'm just going to come out with it because this has been bothering me for some while.

If I were gay and performing on AGT, I would be so sick of Sharon. She doesn't treat gay people with respect and equality. Ok, so she consistantly gushes over anyone who is gay and starts in on the "darling you were fabulous" comments... and I would tire of that schtick. Just treat the gay person as a regular person. She looks absolutely ridiculous! Poor Poppycock (who I thought was fantastic) had to deal with that idiocy all last season and now it's Daniel's turn. Sharon is weird.

My favs from last night were Poplyfe and West Springfield dance team. I hope those two make it through. I know iLuminate will and the other two? I'm not sure... I agree with jadewarlock, Lys has a great shot and Miami All Stars.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I only saw a few acts last night (tuned in late, then fell asleep). Got to see the debacle of the Russian bar act. Loved Poplyfe - I smiled all the way through it and would have watched it again. The West Springfield dance team was good, but not my cup of tea, I guess. I enjoyed Kevin Colis's performance, but it was only okay.

Spock I agree and disagree on what you say about Sharon and gays. I do think she respects them enough to say that they were fabulous, but yes, it is very annoying. If it's how she phrases it, i.e. "Darling you were fabulous," I don't see too much problem with that because she has said it to others who were straight, young, old, etc.

How they respond to it factors in largely here. Poppycock was able to feed off that quite well, even if at times even I knew he was a little irritated by it.

Howie personally irritates me because he has overall LITTLE understanding of true talent and schtick acts. All his nominees for wildcard felt schtick and not true talent (Though I personally liked the Funny Little People).

And - Sharon is the wife of the lead singer of Black Sabbath, so... I can see why she's a bit weird.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Got to see the debacle of the Russian bar act.
    A definite nomination for the WORST decision ever made on a competition show. The time for them to have branched THAT far out from what they were voted in to do would have been AFTER they were developing a Vegas show.

The female singer in Poplyfe reminded me of Gwen Stefani from her No Doubt days.

+ Reply to Thread