+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: America's Got Talent

The 14 year old dancer, Beth, was really good.

I didn't care so much for the bike guy, partly because most of the routine was so dark, I couldn't see what was going on. He could have gotten off the bike and been swinging it around in his arms for all I knew, or fallen off and hit the stage. If he were to advance, I prefer to see the stage dimmed but not completely dark or he needs to get more of a lit up outfit. The subtle glow wasn't enough. Even if I could see that act well enough, though, I don't think I'd like it enough to go see a whole show of him alone performing. Same with the basketball guy.

I agree that most of the YouTube acts were a letdown.

I didn't like the Glee group at all. The singing was not in tune and their outfits were awful! I couldn't wait until they shut up and left. I was really surprised it was Howie that buzzed them out, not Piers!

I like Iluminate. I never know what they're going to do next and I don't see them repeating the exact same thing over and over so I find them entertaining.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I think perhaps I'm the only one who's not enamored with iLuminate. The choreography is ok, though I thought the performance the other night was ho-hum. Is it the lighting up thing that's got people excited?
    I think similarly about Silhouettes, although my dislike for them is most likely stronger, as I really think they are overrated and that they should not win.

Anyway, my Top Five (couldn't pick a Top Four) for the YT special were:

TNC Elite
    Kevin Colis
    Beth Ann Robinson
    Gymkana
    Kalani Basketball Freestyle

The acts that advanced were...

Gymkana over Powerhouse
    Matt Wilhelm over TNC Elite and Aeon
    Kevin Colis over Kalani Basketball Freestyle, Illusionist Brett Daniels, and Breena Bell

Final three: West Springfield Dance Team, Gabe Rocks, Beth Ann Robinson

Facing Judges' Vote: West Springfield Dance Team and Beth Ann Robinson

Winner (2-1): Beth Ann Robinson

Okay, so, happy with the first result, for sure, sad to see TNC get the boot, and happy that Kevin went through but I liked Kalani as well.

Somewhat surprised that Beth Ann made it over WSDT. But happy. Because if I'm being honest I didn't think they were great.

Matt Wilhelm went through which was pretty clear, but I didn't think his act was great. Jeremy Vanschoonhoven from last year, who was also a bike act but didn't use these glowlights, I liked better.

And the Wild Card acts are finally revealed! They are:

Landon Swank
    The Kinetic King
    Summerwind Skippers
    Charles Peachock
    Yellow Design Stunt Team
    Shevonne
    J. Chris Newberg
    Those Funny Little People
    Seth Grabel
    Fiddleheads
    Avery and the Calico Hearts
    West Springfield Dance Team

No Ryan Andreas! I have mixed feelings about that.

No Fearless Flores Family! Pretty surprising, but good. There are others too (and quite a few) who I'm glad didn't come back.

Also surprised that Dezmond Meeks isn't back, after what I read earlier about Sharon's comments.

My thoughts on those coming back:

Landon Swank - Perfect choice. My favorite magician in the quarterfinals.
    The Kinetic King - Yes! Thank you!
    Summerwind Skippers - Great.
    Charles Peachock - Great. I'm interested to see what he'll do next.
    Yellow Design Stunt Team - Could have used some others instead, but okay.
    Shevonne - The only Vegas Week eliminee coming back. I remember her. Kind of. I mean, I remember seeing her on the screen but I don't remember her singing. Too bad some others from Vegas Week couldn't come back.
    J. Chris Newberg - Upsetting. They bring him back but not Geechy Guy?? Bad bad bad.
    Those Funny Little People - Howie's pick, most likely. Not really looking forward to them.
    Seth Grabel - Nice to see more than one magician in the Wildcard, but I think Landon's better.
    Fiddleheads - Surprising, to be honest, but great!
    Avery and the Calico Hearts - Cute voices, but another Wildcard pick I could do without.
    West Springfield Dance Team - I wonder who Sharon's pick before them was.

All of the Judges' Vote losers in the quarterfinals are coming back. I wonder if that was intentional or not.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 08-10-2011 at 11:29 PM.

I'm not surprised the judges vote losers are back... several were pretty good, and in the case of at least one I think he deserved a second chance.

Dont' think Kinetic King will advance again, but I would like to see him have one more successful performance.

The funny little people I liked, but if nothing else because I liked the effort they did on the lip sync technique. Again, I don't think they'll advance further.

The juggler... I'm glad he's back, but Howie, Piers... get an education in juggling before you tell someone that their bounce juggling an intricate and on tempo music routine is the same as a mouth blower using ONE ping-pong to play a single note tune. That guy was NOT juggling.

The skippers I'm glad are back as well - I think they can find another creative way to jump rope.

The magicians I'm glad are back, and would like to see one in the semis.

Yellow Stunt Design Team (I'm guessing the bikers from the fourth quarterfinals) I am glad are back. I think they were a good group that was just stuck in a tougher quarterfinals.

The others I didn't see or didn't care for one way or the other. I don't think that if there are any little kid acts they should advance past this round because they're too young to be in this competition.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post

My thoughts on those coming back:

Landon Swank - Perfect choice. My favorite magician in the quarterfinals.
    The Kinetic King - Yes! Thank you!
    Summerwind Skippers - Great.
    Charles Peachock - Great. I'm interested to see what he'll do next.
    Yellow Design Stunt Team - Could have used some others instead, but okay.
    Shevonne - The only Vegas Week eliminee coming back. I remember her. Kind of. I mean, I remember seeing her on the screen but I don't remember her singing. Too bad some others from Vegas Week couldn't come back.
    J. Chris Newberg - Upsetting. They bring him back but not Geechy Guy?? Bad bad bad.
    Those Funny Little People - Howie's pick, most likely. Not really looking forward to them.
    Seth Grabel - Nice to see more than one magician in the Wildcard, but I think Landon's better.
    Fiddleheads - Surprising, to be honest, but great!
    Avery and the Calico Hearts - Cute voices, but another Wildcard pick I could do without.
    West Springfield Dance Team - I wonder who Sharon's pick before them was.

All of the Judges' Vote losers in the quarterfinals are coming back. I wonder if that was intentional or not.
    Totally agree on your take on all of these. The only thing is I would have been a little harsher on Avery and the Calico Hearts. But then, I don't like the Chipmunks either.
    Those Funny Little People are TOTALLY a Howie pick. Howie is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock
    The juggler... I'm glad he's back, but Howie, Piers... get an education in juggling before you tell someone that their bounce juggling an intricate and on tempo music routine is the same as a mouth blower using ONE ping-pong to play a single note tune. That guy was NOT juggling.
    Just a correction, it was Howie and Sharon who were really hard on this guy, not Piers. Piers gave him praise and said that Howie and Sharon buzzed him because they don't recognize talent.

My apologies Spockwhat - I'm so used to Piers criticizing talent that actually is talent that I got him and Sharon mixed up.

But - yes, Piers DOES know truer talent overall than the other two. I think he even sees talent with Steven Retchless, but just can't get over the stereotype.

Looks like these were the judges' picks for the Wildcard:

Howie - The Fiddleheads, J. Chris Newberg, Those Funny Little People, Shevonne
    Sharon - Seth Grabel, West Springfield Dance Team, The Kinetic King, Avery and the Calico Hearts
    Piers - Landon Swank, Summerwind Skippers, Charles Peachock, Yellow Designs Stunt Team

Piers made the best picks, imo. All three have at least one I am happy with, but Piers wins it for me.

Howie and Sharon both could have made better picks. Especially Howie. And come to think of it, Howie has made some decisions I really disagreed with in his two years on the show so far. The one that sticks out the most for me was putting Michael & Ashleigh (some lame aerialist duo) through to the semifinal last season over Harmonica Pierre (one of my favorite acts of the entire season). And this year, picking Newberg over Geechy.

Once again I post what I read too early, as the judges' picks listed above is wrong.

The actual list:

Howie - Fiddleheads, J. Chris Newberg, Those Funny Little People, Seth Grabel
    Sharon - West Springfield Dance Team, Avery and the Calico Hearts, Shevonne, Yellow Designs Stunt Team
    Piers - The Kinetic King, Charles Peachock, Summerwind Skippers, Landon Swank

From now on I should probably just wait until the list of performers or whatever is confirmed on the show itself.

So, I liked the Wildcard, but I was able to get my Top Four (or Five) really quickly.

My thoughts:

The Kinetic King - Thankfully it worked out for him this time. Love him, would love to see him make the semis.
    Those Funny Little People - Well, I think I liked this performance better than their quarterfinal. But that's all. Still not really a fan.
    Avery and the Calico Hearts - Same as above.
    Seth Grabel - Kinda lame. Really. Landon is still better than him, as I've thought all along.
    Shevonne - Glad she got her chance, but I didn't think it was good enough, and others were a lot better. Sorry.
    West Springfield Dance Team - Wasn't a fan of them last week, nor am I this week. A definite no. The costumes/makeup/everything I don't like at all. If Sharon's pick before them was Dezmond Meeks, then I would have rather seen him again.
    J. Chris Newberg - Oh man. I'm glad he lost the guitar, for one, but regardless, I have to say that right now, although I might change my mind, that was his worst performance ever. And the fact that it was him over Geechy still bugs me.
    Yellow Designs Stunt Team - Liked it better than last time. The theme and music played a big part, probably. My 5th place.
    Charles Peachock - Part of me wants to see him go through because of the bad decision made to put Melissa through over him. At least he came back though.
    Fiddleheads - I don't know why, but I really like them. Or the singer, at least. I kinda agree with Piers about the band and everything. I want to see him again.
    Summerwind Skippers - Not sure what they'll do differently next time. Then again I'm not sure what the bikers will either. But they beat them for me. 4th.
    Landon Swank - Saw the trick before, but I still think he's the best magician this season and that he should make it.

My Top Four

The Kinetic King
    Fiddleheads
    Summerwind Skippers
    Landon Swank
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 08-16-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Out of the acts, I would say that my wishes to who will advance to the semis would be both magicians, the skippers and the bikers, the last two truly being acts that should've advanced the first go IMHO.

I would give my vote to the juggler, but Charles just flat out bombed this go. He had a better shot in the previous round and just was rookie-do'd over Melissa, who is good; however, she would've probably still made it through in this wild card round.

That said, if one of my favorites here doesn't make it, I'd like to see Those Funny Little People make it, because then we'd have a true variety of talent in the semis. And, syncing to "Constantinople" a very fast song, is difficult, even if you just have to open and close your mouth like they do as the little people.

This should be an easy prediction to advance, but then again, we've been surprised before.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just tuned in for the second half of the show. First "act" on was J. Chris Newberg. I agree. That was the WORST thing I've seen on this show. Not funny. Rude. In poor taste. I'm surprised that Piers even said he found amusing at the end. I found it not one bit amusing. I watched it a second time when my husband got home . . . and it was as bad or worse.

Isn't a comedian supposed to make you laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Just tuned in for the second half of the show. First "act" on was J. Chris Newberg. I agree. That was the WORST thing I've seen on this show. Not funny. Rude. In poor taste. I'm surprised that Piers even said he found amusing at the end. I found it not one bit amusing. I watched it a second time when my husband got home . . . and it was as bad or worse.

Isn't a comedian supposed to make you laugh?
    Yes, and he really didn't make people laugh. The zingers were TOO sharp and honestly were said with malice instead of humor. GOOD roasters, which he was attempting, are more deadpan and are willing to get as good as they give. Or in short - they allow the roastee/honoree to be able to retort back. I did NOT see that in this sketch, and hope the audience does NOT allow him to come back.

I'm no fan of Piers', but he did NOT deserve that at all.

BTW, I loved the first magician's act getting to see it in the recap, and loved the little versions of the three judges and the "Back to the Future" car trick.

+ Reply to Thread