+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

FORT Fan

Re: America's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3956292;
    I didn't get to watch the last half hour tonight, .
    Check your local listings. for reruns if you missed Tuesday's show.
    Reruns are aired Saturdays and also on Wednesdays. (Before the new episode)

Sometimes the reruns are on a different channel and not NBC. Someone on another group told me that last week they had 3 hours of reruns on the Oxygen channel. I saw reruns one Saturday on KRON here in S.F. when I couldn't find it on NBC because of a ballgame on NBC.

Nancy

FORT Fogey

Anyone watching tonight? I missed the magicians. How did they do? What about Chips (one of my favorites from Round 1)?

It's probably just me, but man. I find the finals sooo stressful. I just really want everyone to go through.
    Last edited by Jexter; 07-06-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'm just glad the auditions are over, and now we're getting into the real competition. I had forgotten some of these acts that made it, including some of my favorites (and some others, like the painting latex wearing devil that I can't believe made it through). I've been on the phone for most of the show, so I've missed parts of what's going on. I never follow my own advice when I vow not to answer the phone when something's on that I'm watching

Missed the magicians, so I don't know how they did. I agree Jexter, some of these acts really gave a show stopper in their auditions, and now they're expecting to bring down the house (and push it to the limits). I would think it's gotta be a stressful time when you know this is it, and there is that added pressure. I like this show because of the variety, but wish some tweaks could be mde to the format.

And while I've warmed up to Nick this season, I think I could do without Howie. Sharon and Piers are enough for me on the panel.

Michael Grimms! Who cares if he went over? I'm with Howie, forget what I said above.

So day 1 acts that are making it through (by the way, does anyone know if all 3 judges have to agree on who's making it through, or just the majority?): I don't remember who's who with all of these people, but Antonio the magician, the male opera impersonator, the young Eminem wannabe, one of the ballroom dance couples, the dominatrix painter, the fake illiusionist (I think that was him), Sally the hand whistler, the Bollywood dance group, Doogie the comedian (really show?), Mary Ellen, the Sharon Osbourne lookalike if she didn't have surgery, Gabourey's mom, Michael Grimm and Taylor Matthews (both singers). I think the young hip magician got cut, and the America's Best Dance crew dance group.
    Last edited by karalott; 07-06-2010 at 10:58 PM.

FORT Fogey

I don't know how the 3 judges make their final picks...although given that some odd-balls made it through, I'm sure the producers had a say in it to keep it a bit interesting. The crazy old lady who shrieks and plays the organ is a stitch. I kind of luv her (well, in the same way Howie does).

All my fav's went through - except the kite flyer. I think he must have just done a repeat of the his first performance based on the small footage we saw. What an awful time he must have of things. Can't even imagine a life of epilepsy.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Piers didn't like Prince Poppycock in the auditions if I remember correctly, but Howie and Sharon did. And he made it through to Hollywood. I think Piers can stay open minded but he's an example where I think it can go 2-1. I'm sorry, but the red haired organ player shouldn't have made it through. However, one thing I've noticed about this show is they put through a lot of fodder. That woman doesn't have a chance, just like the hand whistler, and painter (did I miss something about what makes her talent so special?) I didn't notice the kite flyer didn't make it through. As I said, too many people and faces to remember. Too bad, as I did enjoy his audition and he really did have a backstory I could get behind. For some reason, sob stories don't typically bother me on this show like they do on other talent shows.

I think this year is going to be won by a singer/group. They made kind of a big deal mentioning they had more singers than normal, and all were extremely talented. And with the exception of a couple of different acts like Fighting Gravity and the static electricity group, I don't remember a whole lot of others. I didn't like the comedian who made it through. I don't recall the woman, but Doogie just came off badly and a little too sure of himself in the auditions.

FORT Fan

Finally, Vegas week. Over 100 acts have to be pared down to 48. I had no idea so many were sent to Vegas.

The judges reviewed the original tapes and then split the acts into 3 groups.
    One group is going to the next round in Hollywood without having to perform
    again and one group has to compete against each other for a spot in the next
    round in Hollywood. The third group was eliminated right off the bat at the top
    of the show, but some may be able to come back if some in the other groups are eliminated from competing and need to be replaced to make up the 48 spots. I hope that made sense.

Each act got 90 seconds to perform but one crazy old lady sang for 10 minutes and not one note was in tune and yet they sent her through to Hollywood anyway, against Piers' objections I'm sure because he was complaining the whole time she was singing.

Some performers were so nervous they messed up but it was still entertaining. There were couple of good magicians and the strong man is amazing.

Prince Poppycock has a bit of a virus but he still did well tho' he was not
    happy with his own performance.

Hannibal Means was great. Incredible voice. People laughed at me when I said
    he was good but that's only because they didn't like his interpretation of
    "Hallelujah" which he sang for his audition. This time he sang an Italian aria
    so it better suited his voice. His voice is made for opera.

Carlos Ponte has a great voice as well but he's better when he sings in Italian
    because when he sings in English, his accent takes away from his performance and I think that's why he's not going through to Hollywood, which is too bad considering they let some really bad singers through such as Michael Grimm and Taylor Mathews both of whom did not perform well at all, not to mention the old lady I mentioned who went on for 10 minutes and should have been eliminated not only for her bad singing, but because it's against the rules to go over time.

They even sent through another old lady who does "hand whistling" over some of the better acts. I'm sure she and the other lady got the sympathy vote and to me it's just wrong to put them through over someone who really has talent. Neither can do a Vegas show justice. Sharon and Howie are both prone to put through sympathetic people.

I enjoyed the dance groups the best and only a couple weren't up to snuff. One group of tappers was really good but one of them tripped so ruined the whole performance which I hated to see. I don't know if they got through or not because I somehow missed the judges descision about them.

Out of the kids group, the classical piano player is the best but I wish he
    would get rid of the Mozart costume. At least the wig which makes him look
    silly. The eleven yr. old rapper nauseates me. He's not good and he's not cute. Kids don't belong in Vegas, on stage or otherwise IMO.

I can't remember all the names because the show moved so quickly you sometimes couldn't hear the names but overall it was an enjoyable show.

More acts will perform Wednesday night by which time they should get it down to 48. I have no idea why 48 is the magic number. Seems like too many to me. It must have something to do with having a certain number of acts in each of the various categories to compete against each other . ie: Singers, dancers, comics, magicians, musicians, novelty acts, etc.

So far there are two magicians that I like, two singers (Hannibal and Prince
    Poppycock), the young concert pianist and a couple of the dance groups.

I don't have a DVR so I will be watching SYTYCD Wednesday and will have to catch the AGT rerun Saturday

Nancy
    Last edited by nabrudigam; 07-07-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;3967904;
    Finally, Vegas week. Over 100 acts have to be pared down to 48. I had no idea so many were sent to Vegas.

Each act got 90 seconds to perform but one crazy old lady sang for 10 minutes and not one note was in tune and yet they sent her through to Hollywood anyway, against Piers' objections I'm sure because he was complaining the whole time she was singing.
    Absolutely hideous!...The fact that these types of acts go through and talented acts/people do not prove that this is about "ratings" and "entertainment"

Prince Poppycock has a bit of a virus but he still did well tho' he was not
    happy with his own performance.
    He is certainly a "type" of show you would find in vegas

Out of the kids group, the classical piano player is the best but I wish he
    would get rid of the Mozart costume. At least the wig which makes him look
    silly. The eleven yr. old rapper nauseates me. He's not good and he's not cute. Kids don't belong in Vegas, on stage or otherwise IMO.
    Couldn't agree more!

More acts will perform Wednesday night by which time they should get it down to 48. I have no idea why 48 is the magic number. Seems like too many to me. It must have something to do with having a certain number of acts in each of the various categories to compete against each other . ie: Singers, dancers, comics, magicians, musicians, novelty acts, etc.
    I can understand wanting to put a "variety" of acts through...there are many different types of shows in Vegas. However, I don't see anyone paying to see "A handwhistler"...or the "devil painting lady" (unless of course, she is going to do something other than paint in the costume..be for real Howie, the woman is not "stunning" ...she has ENORMOUSLY STUNNING boobs..that is about it!)

I for one thought the "kite kid" could be amped up for a Vegas show, what do I know...since the inception of this show, I believe only Terry Fatore has sustained a career in Vegas...Now there was someone I would pay to see!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3968071;
    Absolutely hideous!...The fact that these types of acts go through and talented acts/people do not prove that this is about "ratings" and "entertainment" !
    Except that some of these acts are NOT entertaining and are a waste of precious time.

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;3968071;
    I can understand wanting to put a "variety" of acts through...there are many different types of shows in Vegas. However, I don't see anyone paying to see "A handwhistler"...or the "devil painting lady" !
    Not only will they not survive, but it's cruel to give them false hope by putting them though to Hollywood. Especially people like the hand whistler who obviously has problems just getting around. As for the kite flyer, I wasn't as impressed as some and putting these kinds of acts through is very much like the old circus "freaks" shows that are just there so people can stare and jeer.

Terry Fatore is perfect for Vegas and I'm so glad he finally got his due.

Nancy

If I remember correctly, the reason 48 is the 'magic number' is because they have 4 nights of performances with 12 acts each night. I think maybe 3 from each night move on and then they have a finale with the reamining 12 and then they pick a winner. Not sure about the last part, but I know there was a show each on Tues and Wed covering 12 acts each night and then the following week the same thing.

FORT Fogey

Does the audience get to start voting with the final 48?

+ Reply to Thread