+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Re: America's Got Talent

Smurfs ... really? I hated them in the 80s and that hasn't changed. UGH.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I also never understood the popularity of Smurfs. But I was too old for them by the time they showed up. I think I'm still too old for them.

As far as Professor Splash goes, I'm not a fan, but I sort of understand why he advanced. Mostly because those judges just LOVE the danger acts. And for those of you who don't think it can be a Vegas act, Howie had a very good point. Evel Knievel was a Vegas act. Many people paid good money to watch him do one stunt - which sometimes nearly killed him. It's not my thing. I also don't care for the motorcycle guys who are millimeters from putting their friend in a lot of pain. And could they physically keep that up for a show that lasts 40-60 minutes? But the judges do love danger, and obviously so does much of America. Go figure.

Personally, I liked last week's magician a lot better than this week's. Not sure why the judges didn't get the act last week, but did this week.

ETA: I guess Evel Knievel might not have technically been a Vegas act, but he did do at least one jump there. I could see tourists paying a few bucks just to see Professor Splash fall 35-40 feet into a kiddie pool.
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 07-28-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Professor Splash is not a Vegas act. One splash and that's it! It's a carnival act, maybe even worth as an opening or ending act for Cirque du Soleil but not for an entire show. The judges have eliminated two magicians in a row now. Unfortunately for the 1st magician, his presentation wasn't too Vegas-y but I like his magic better. It was never tried before in the show. The other magician his presentation is very Vegas-y but the teleporting trick has been done so many times already. Are we having a wild card round? Maybe some acts will be called back to compete for a wildcard spot to make 13 acts for the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Professor Splash is not a Vegas act. One splash and that's it! It's a carnival act, maybe even worth as an opening or ending act for Cirque du Soleil but not for an entire show. The judges have eliminated two magicians in a row now. Unfortunately for the 1st magician, his presentation wasn't too Vegas-y but I like his magic better. It was never tried before in the show. The other magician his presentation is very Vegas-y but the teleporting trick has been done so many times already. Are we having a wild card round? Maybe some acts will be called back to compete for a wildcard spot to make 13 acts for the next round.
    I hope so on the wild card possibility - I think there were at least three acts last night who were ousted over a much less deserving act.

BTW - regarding the Smurfs - I didn't mind the early bit, but the poop joke was in poor taste.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

We couldn't make out a Top Four in last week's show. We ended up deciding to split the 10 votes giving 3 votes to Lys Agnes, 2 to Landau, 2 to the Skippers, and 1 for Poplyfe, Monet, and... Mauricio. I dunno I just grew to like him and wanted to throw one his way although I was sure he was out.

Anyway, happy with two of the results mainly (Lys and Landau), one was alright (Poplyfe), and Professor Splash was pretty piss-offish. When the final three were revealed (SH'Boss Boys, Seth, and this guy), I was like "I don't want any of them to go through". SH'Boss Boys I liked their audition a LOT better. Their ABC rendition didn't work for me and it ended up being quite annoying. And Seth, well, I thought Landon was a lot better. So that kind of made me think "If Landon didn't make it why should Seth?" But out of Splash and Seth, definitely Seth. Splash broke the world record. Good for him. What more do we want? Fire? Who cares.

Quick thoughts on others:

Purrfect Angelz - Liked the rope thing up high but that was about it.
    Captain & Maybelle - Before they even performed I thought they weren't gonna get my vote because it will either be too shocking or not good enough. But it was a good medium for me, and liked seeing Maybelle do some stuff too. But in the end I decided I didn't like them as much as most of the others, although I didn't dislike the performance.
    Ian Johnson - He messed up, like, twice. And overall didn't do it for me.
    Monet - Kind of surprised to see her place so low.

Since we're talking about Wildcards I guess I'll list some of my potentials.

From Vegas Week:

Cindy Chang - Though not as much as I originally did.
    Necessary Diva - Moreso than Cindy now.
    Ryan Andreas - Although all the "Bring back Ryan!" threads at the NBC boards taking up the pages are pretty annoying.
    Mike Stone & The Kritikal Band - I liked them.

Quarterfinal 1:

Echo - Guilty pleasure.
    Fiddleheads - If all is true, they were screwed over and I'd like them to get another chance.

Dezmond's probably coming back if Sharon sticks to what she reportedly said.

Quarterfinal 2:

Landon Swank - He was one of the best, if not the best at what he does this season.
    Geechy Guy - He's funny and I think he's great. I don't get the public sometimes. They let the unfunny Grandma Lee in 2009 make it all the way to the finals and don't even give this guy a chance.

Quarterfinal 3:

Summerwind Skippers - Interesting, unique.
    Monet - Would like another chance for her.
    Mauricio Herrera - Entertaining, would be a pleasant surprise to see him back, but likely no.

Watched last night's show, and pretty much will say that it'll have some of the more painful cuts.

I'd like to see the Zuzu warriors advance, as well as the comedian (Not quite as strong as her first performance, but I loved the parody of "America's Got Talent" and she was spot on with Sharon and Julie Garland - especially an older Julie Garland), Team iLuminate and the bicyclists.

I think the only iffy one of those three will be the comedian sadly. Didn't see the magician so I do not know if he was good or not. If iLuminate does NOT advance, there is something wrong with the voting.

The girl's act was cute - but I don't want to see a young group act in Vegas. It's why I'm not fond of Poplyfe making it as far as they have so far. Not that they're bad, but I just don't know if they really should be in Vegas.

And, yes, I was pissed off with the comments about the Juggler - Sharon didn't really give it a chance and Howie is a moron here when he commented about it being done before with the xylophone and the mouth juggling. The bounce juggling on the piano with many balls and keeping with the timing of the tune is much more difficult than the xylophone juggler who used ONE ball to bounce it off onto the instrument.

Yeah Howie - the "juggler" for the xylophone was not a juggler. He was a mouthblower. This juggler was indeed a true juggler, brought a show, and did something that is very difficult (I've been juggling 24 years and I still can't bounce juggle this well), VERY WELL.

But I guess you guys just want jugglers to practically kill themselves in order to move on beyond quarters. (Like I said - it's no wonder I do not bother attempting to audition for this show).

Seriously, I wish I knew his twitter honestly because I want to correct him on the differences in juggling and mouth blowing.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    And, yes, I was pissed off with the comments about the Juggler - Sharon didn't really give it a chance and Howie is a moron here when he commented about it being done before with the xylophone and the mouth juggling. The bounce juggling on the piano with many balls and keeping with the timing of the tune is much more difficult than the xylophone juggler who used ONE ball to bounce it off onto the instrument.

Yeah Howie - the "juggler" for the xylophone was not a juggler. He was a mouthblower. This juggler was indeed a true juggler, brought a show, and did something that is very difficult (I've been juggling 24 years and I still can't bounce juggle this well), VERY WELL.

But I guess you guys just want jugglers to practically kill themselves in order to move on beyond quarters. (Like I said - it's no wonder I do not bother attempting to audition for this show).

Seriously, I wish I knew his twitter honestly because I want to correct him on the differences in juggling and mouth blowing.
    I also was stunned that they X'd the juggler. I thought he was incredibly talented.

What gets me is that they X the juggler, but sit and giggle at Sam B, who does the same stupid dance every time he's up there! He has an infectious personality, but they should invite him to their parties, not sit there and beam at him after criticizing others for so much less. It just makes the judges look pretty stupid, if you ask me.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Last night was the very first time I have EVER cast a vote for any of the contestants on this show. The last folks... upthread someone said they were called "Team iLuminate"... were fantastic and I voted for them over and over. I wanted to be sure all TEN of my votes got thru and I lost count somewhere in the middle so I voted more than 10 times just to be sure I got all ten in Yup, for sure they got the "pimp spot" being dead last but they were awesome!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Well, not too surprised at the results except seeing Fatally Unique advancing over the bike team. That said, I have little doubt that the bike team will be in the wildcard.

I personally - out of spite to Piers and Howie, am planning on nominating the juggler. I mean - yes, I think Melissa was very good and deserving, I DO NOT THINK it is right for Howie in particular saying that the routine was stale and done. It is not regularly done, and frankly, I'd like to see him juggle four or five items that way and play a tune in key and frankly the right tempo. (Seriously, he needs to watch the xylophone routine again, compare it to the piano one and apologize).

The Zuma dancers and Team ILuminate I think are both very Vegas acts and probably will do well long term regardless. Melissa also has a chance for a stand up act somewhere even if she doesn't win this. And yes, I would say Fatally Unique has a fair shot at winning this.

I think this is the one round I've actually seen more opportunity to have a true long lasting Las Vegas act.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I also was stunned that they X'd the juggler. I thought he was incredibly talented.

What gets me is that they X the juggler, but sit and giggle at Sam B, who does the same stupid dance every time he's up there! He has an infectious personality, but they should invite him to their parties, not sit there and beam at him after criticizing others for so much less. It just makes the judges look pretty stupid, if you ask me.
    Yeah, it does honestly. I mean, I felt for Mr. Kinetic, but at least he was having fun in spite of his errors and took it well. He was unintentionally funny but he wasn't laughed AT, he was laughed with the judges.

Sam B... I hate saying it but IMHO he's popular because people can laugh at him and he thinks he's this excellent dancer. He is popular, yes, but still... I sometimes wonder if he understands the difference between laughed at.

Like I said, this is why I really truly don't have interest in entering this show. They put through acts that have no talent, they mock or "X" the ones that have good talent and a good act (I don't mean "X" talent that is good but has a bad performance, this is warranted), and frankly just hate jugglers, even ones such as Charles Peachock who IMHO is stellar at what he does and very creative. (Though yes, I think the fire may be a bit too much on his legs just for safety reasons.

+ Reply to Thread