+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

FORT Fogey

Re: America's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    I just want to chime in concerning the Silhouettes last night. I thought they brought in the pictures to cover up their lack of getting their positions into a discernable silhouette on several poses. It's the silhouettes that are suppose to be the finished impression not a picture covering them up. I hope they can get it back together next week.
    I agree 100%. I had no idea what the image was until the picture first showed up in sillouette before it moved into the actual photograph. Very clever of them and sneaky! They are not the first group to do this as Piers seems to think. There was another group a number of years back that nailed it everytime, without pictures. Does anyone else remember them?

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    I just want to chime in concerning the Silhouettes last night. I thought they brought in the pictures to cover up their lack of getting their positions into a discernable silhouette on several poses. It's the silhouettes that are suppose to be the finished impression not a picture covering them up. I hope they can get it back together next week.
    I could tell all but a couple of the poses what they were going to be - the New York Skyline was the most troublesome because they lacked a way to do a ghostly figure of the Twin Towers. I have considered the ribbons or such, however, because of the way they fell (cloud of smoke), I figured that'd been tasteless.

They also flipped the common viewpoint of the Iwo Jima flag raising statue. Most of the time they have the head of the group going toward the right, not left.

I enjoyed their performance, but do agree that they also benefitted from a weaker quarterfinalist group. Had they been in the week prior, they may not have been going to the semis. IMHO, I think they'll look at what they did, take notes, and watch the semifinalists' acts so they know to push the envelope and really work on their poses more and more.

The other three acts were no brainers - but I wish Geechy Guy had a better shot in this group.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Well it looks like our next quarterfinal group is revealed, and hopefully THIS time the list is correct and I'm not posting the wrong info again like I did a couple pages ago!

Poplyfe
    Mauricio Herrera
    Monet
    Landau Eugene Murphy
    Professor Splash
    Seth Grabel
    SH'Boss Boys
    Captain & Maybelle
    Ian Johnson
    Purrfect Angelz
    Summerwind Skippers
    Frank Miles

Or at least, that would be the list if one of the acts didn't have to drop out due to illness (specifically being chickenpox, apparently). According to AGTNews website, Frank Miles, the stun gun juggler/knife box smasher, was scheduled to appear next week but had to be replaced by Lys Agnes. Whether or not he'll have to drop out from the whole competition entirely is unknown, but if that does happen to be the case, I believe they will just replace him with someone originally cut from Vegas Week. Which, for me anyway, is a shame because I have actually started looking forward to seeing him again.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 07-22-2011 at 01:50 AM.

I have to admit having chicken pox at his age is a bit unusual, and sadly he may end up having to drop out because chicken pox as an adult is much harder to deal with. While I wasn't not fond of him (I have to admit I didn't like his Las Vegas act, and wasn't too sure about the stun gun juggling), I hate seeing anyone eliminated for any reason other than not winning the vote - doing horribly.

Sorry, but I am going to shout the first sentence in this next one - this is just such a burr in my saddle.

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE PROFESSOR SPLASH ADVANCE! To channel Piers here - It's stupid, and honestly there is NO way that you can improve the act without having to deal with an ambulance or death. Sorry - I just really am not happy one bit this made it to Hollywood, and by a direct ticket either. There were much more talented acts booted.

Seriously, the fact that he loves this act and hates Steven Retchless' is beyond boggling. One is just a "Jackass" stunt, really takes no talent except to not get killed, the other is dangerous but elegant and versatile.

The skippers, which I would assume is jump rope, could be very good. The other acts I don't remember.
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I DO NOT WANT TO SEE PROFESSOR SPLASH ADVANCE! . . . I just really am not happy one bit this made it to Hollywood, and by a direct ticket either. There were much more talented acts booted.

Seriously, the fact that he loves this act and hates Steven Retchless' is beyond boggling. One is just a "Jackass" stunt, really takes no talent except to not get killed, the other is dangerous but elegant and versatile.
    It seemed to me that a couple of the acts that got a straight ticket to Hollywood involved props that would have been time-intensive to set up - the motorcycle people in the big steel cage, and the Splash guy. But it isn't fair that they got a free pass if that's the only reason why which, IMO, IS the only reason they were advanced. Neither act was Vegas-worthy.

Yeah, Professor Splash was one of the automatic advancements. And like you, I don't want, and don't even think, he'll be going much further.

And I'll try to briefly describe each of the acts.

Poplyfe (mostly male teen band with female lead singer)
    Mauricio Herrera (Costa Rican singer)
    Monet (12-year-old singer who we never saw at the auditions but did briefly at Vegas Week)
    Landau Eugene Murphy (car washer Sinatra singer)
    Professor Splash (high diver)
    Seth Grabel (bald magician)
    SH'Boss Boys (rapping kid trio)
    Captain & Maybelle (husband and wife sword/coathanger swallowing duo. Well, just the husband, anyway)
    Ian Johnson (yo yo guy)
    Purrfect Angelz (female dance group)
    Summerwind Skippers (jump rope team)
    Lys Agnes (Ave Maria singer who also was one of the automatic advancements in Vegas Week)

Fortunately, Frank Miles has stated on his NBC blog that he's getting better and it looks like he'll be able to perform next week.

Fighting Gravity from last season will be a guest performer this week, according to AGTNews.

Here's my review of the acts:

Poplyfe (mostly male teen band with female lead singer) - They're good, but I just don't see them winning the whole shebang. They will have to consider the whole Vegas act and what they'd have to do in regard to schooling in order to do both.

Mauricio Herrera (Costa Rican singer) - I like him, but he won't advance. He's more novelty and entertainment than talented.

Monet (12-year-old singer who we never saw at the auditions but did briefly at Vegas Week) - She was pitchy and hard to listen to. I think nerves got to her and sadly I think if she advances it'll be more because of her sob story about Hurricane Wilma.

Landau Eugene Murphy (car washer Sinatra singer) - Love the straigher hair and the suit - he looked sharp. The song was good as it showed he can do a slower song, but it wasn't my favorite of his songs. I think he will advance because he is talented, and even if he doesn't win, I think he could possibly be styled to be a Sammy Davis Jr. type character for some of the Ratpack style acts. He could be a Las Vegas act no matter what.

Professor Splash (high diver) - I'm glad he got the world record, but seriously... he should NOT advance. Jumping through a hoop of fire into the water or flames on top of water is NOT doing anything except pushing the danger. I think he'd be killed or seriously maimed if he is put through again.

Seth Grabel (bald magician) - Didn't see this act (Flipping through to watch Hell's Kitchen/Masterchef as well). What I saw in the review of all acts is promising though - loved the water magic trick. I think this is one of the acts who has a chance advancing.

SH'Boss Boys (rapping kid trio) - Didn't see the group, but I personally feel that really young age acts shouldn't win the competition because they cannot sanely have a Las Vegas act.

Captain & Maybelle (husband and wife sword/coathanger swallowing duo. Well, just the husband, anyway) - In a word - NO. They would do well in a series like "Jackass" or some sort of sideshow though.

Ian Johnson (yo yo guy) - I think he has potential, but isn't using it fully. I did like his act, but he did have a couple of drops played off well through to appear as intentional. If he advances, and I'd like to see him advance, he should try to do tricks like glow in the dark and the like. That said, Piers... buzz only truly bad acts like the juggler last week.

Purrfect Angelz (female dance group) - they kinda remind me of "Coyote Ugly" but in this case that's a good thing. Loved the idea of using saddles as the trick ropes and the long rope stunts. This is another I go "Piers... buzz only truly bad acts." Because they were actually entertaining. Hopefully the buzz was more to get people to support the act and that was his intent, but still... it's annoying.

Summerwind Skippers (jump rope team) - They did good in the No. 1 spot. Again, some missteps noticed, but they have a chance. I do think that they could also try a glow in the dark set.

Lys Agnes (Ave Maria singer who also was one of the automatic advancements in Vegas Week) - She was IMHO pitchy this week but still, that particular song from "Carmen" is not easy. She has a strong chance this week, but if it's between her and Landau, I think he'll edge her out (both are worthy though).

As far as the four advancing? I'd like to see Landau, Lys, the magician and the dancers. The Yo-yo guy and the skippers are also worthy for these spots.

Who I think? - Lys, Landau, Poplyfe, and either the magician or dancers.

And... I wish some of these acts were in last week's show, though they'd probably beaten Daniel and possibly Steven.

I do see more from this grouping though getting a chance in the wildcard round (if they have one.

Well, I was right as far as who I thought was going to be chosen instead of my wish list (in the case of Poplyfe). That doesn't surprise me, but I have to say...

WHY IN THE WORLD WAS PROFESSOR SPLASH IS VOTED IN BY PIERS TO CONTINUE OVER THE MAGICIAN WHO HAS A LAS VEGAS WORTHY ACT!?

Sorry for the smilies and the shouting, but please let me continue on my soapbox. (I promise no more all caps)

Now (clears throat) OK...

I'm sorry, I know that Howie also voted for Professor Splash, but Howie is definitely the oddball of the three. Piers is the voice of reason...

Except he's lost it IMHO.

This act is a dangerous act and can and most likely will cause a liability for "America's Got Talent." They even showed him getting checked out for injuries after the dive, including being put up to a heart monitor.

Yes, the little clip thing to the finger is to check the HEARTBEAT, it's not a blood pressure cuff. I know because I had one clipped to my finger before I was sedated for wisdom teeth surgery to make sure my heartbeat didn't drop too low while unconscious. They were seriously worried about him more than a few bumps and bruises. I'm sure they were hoping that we'd not notice that, but I did.

Splash said that he'd go through fire next fall into 12 inches of water, and that's probably why Piers wanted him to continue.

There is no way in hell that this act can be a full Las Vegas show. NONE! Why remove an excellent magician from the contest over a subpar act that you can't have the person safely belly flop into a kiddie pool for an hour. He'd die within a week. Nick even said the stats of the force of the fall. I'm no scientist, but even I know the constant force of falling like that can cause serious health problems.

But Piers and Howie want it to go on over more worthy acts because it's "More dangerous."

It's NOT A TALENT - it's an act worthy of "Jackass" quite honestly. It takes no talent except to not be killed, and that's one talent we ALL do every day.

I hope in the case of sanity that the eliminated magician and at least two of the first three acts (all eliminated, the two Perfect Angels and Skippers) are given a chance in the wildcard round if they have one. I personally feel all three were ripped off in regard to making it to the semifinals, especially when in all insanity Piers votes with Howie and keeps this diving act in the show.

There is a HUGE reason why this particular act is filmed prior to the show - it's because of the injury and death risk.

I sincerely believe that this person's next act will result in him being severely hurt and possibly killed. He shouldn't try to top his already world breaking dive and he shouldn't be diving in fire.

Will say that this insanity is exactly why I will never audition for "America's Got Talent" as a juggler. I do have some dangerous moves (and I don't have to resort to knives, torches or stun guns), and honestly I'd be buzzed out over acts like this.

Seriously - this is the dumbest move of the show, and should be seen as one of the most shameful put through acts ever seen in the series.

Sorry for this huge rant, but I really do not think this act was worthy of being put through, and I do think that it is something that will lead to the show not being renewed, especially if Professor Splash gets hurt - and I seriously think it'll happen.

+ Reply to Thread