+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 66 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Re: America's Got Talent

Tonight's show was pretty under-whelming. I'm not sure how many of these acts got through.

Dylan Andre, the singer, is cute enough, but his singing is just ..ok. Not as bad as some of the other acts tonight though. Piers told him he wasn't going to be the 1 million dollar winner, Sharon said he's not that confident (agree), Howie told him he was flat a little bit and he didn't really respond like he knew what that meant! After, he said he appreciated any criticism since he's never gotten any - ever! haha - so cute!

Howie had some funny comments tonight, and Piers was typically, his word:"crotchety" (and gassy?), which I find annoying.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

wow, I'm completely overwhelmed by the Silhouettes (sp?) at the end. That was a great act. They weren't my favorites the first time I saw them...but tonight they won me over. Don't know if they'll go all the way - but my eyes were leaking tears at the end.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

To start off I just wanna say that the last two quarterfinal line-ups I posted before may very well be wrong (as Wikipedia removed what was posted before) but we'll find them out for sure soon.

So, I don't really know why, but I was expecting more from this group. In reality though, it was just like last week. And my mom and I were able to pick out our Top Four pretty quick. Faster than last time.

Attack Dance Crew - Liked them better this time than before.
    Dani Shay - Wasn't really that great for us. It's probably unfair, but that second chance in Vegas still kinda bugs me. Either way though, yeah, not in our Top Four.
    Geechy Guy - I don't know why, but I like him. He's the last comic left and I think he's funny. He got buzzed by Piers, who also gave negative comments, but still. Will he go through? Well, probably not, but I want to see more.
    Daniel Joseph Baker - We liked him, and would like him back.
    The Rhinestone Ropers - As soon as I saw what was on stage, which was basically just them and their horse, I knew they were gonna blew it. And I was right.
    Dylan Andre - Eh. He was okay, I guess.
    Landon Swank - Great trick. The build-up was a bit slow, but it was good.
    Smage Bros. Riding Shows - Now that's a motorbike act! Forget those guys last week putting themselves at risk in one of the most un-exciting ways possible, this is what it should be! Last season we had Jeremy the bike guy (yes a normal bicycle), doing similar stuff but with motorbikes it's just, cooler, I guess.
    Thomas John - Liked the music, and the background (the judges' heads), but that was about it. I like him, though. But not the act.
    Steven Retchless - I think he's okay but my mom loves him.
    Mona Lisa - Didn't make our cut.
    Silhouettes - I liked them better this time, but I'm still not that much of a fan. But they are most probably going through, so congrats to them.

How we chose our Top Four was we picked the two we both together liked the most, then she picked one for her and I picked mine. This is what we got.

Our Top Four
    Daniel Joseph Baker
    Smage Bros. Riding Shows
    Steven Retchless (mom's pick)
    Geechy Guy (mine)

Just Missed Out
    Landon Swank
    Attack Dance Crew

Watching tonight, I will say that I think and hope that the four advancing are:

Silhouettes - by far one of the most awe inspiring and talented acts there tonight. They had each of the pictures they were demonstrating down pretty pat. I was not as impressed with the New York Skyline, but I know where they were coming from.

Steven Retchless (BTW, really bad last name, don't know if it's his or a stage name) - I know he's not everyone's cup of tea; however, he can do things that many of us can only dream of. We'd be lucky to even be able to do what Nick did when we first saw Steven in the audition round. I loved the uniqueness and taking it to the next level - and he showed he has a little bit of ballet skills (toe shoes are not easy). I personally find Piers to be a bit sexist and dare I say it a bit homophobic with his comments. I actually find Stevens skills incredible, and I don't see where women wouldn't find this sexy at all. That said, I don't know how much further he can take it... but I do think he needs to be careful to cater to both gay and straight tastes to be flexible enough for Las Vegas.

Smage brothers - very skilled with the bikes, and at least now I figured they were taking the third guy's hat off. That does scare me though - they do need to remember that they can up the danger, but to remember there are limits to the danger.

I didn't see all his act, but I would give it to Geechy Guy because he was funny and he's the only comic left. That or the first dance act, who were good even if the choreography wasn't super strong.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

I do NOT want to see Thomas John back. As a juggler myself, I found his skit not only revolting, but a bad display of juggling. While I'm not as strong at clubs yet (in fact, it's sad to mention but my set of clubs is from a Kay Bee Toy store when they hadn't sold out to the big companies), I could do better with some of the tricks that he was attempting. I'm not saying juggle start to finish, but he was selected for the quarters because he could juggle, and showed tremendous promise with the bowl and ball trick.

In short - he is the reason why I don't audition for the show, even though they've been where I live. Usually the acts selected for the quarters that are juggling the person either humiliates themselves or the judges do.

I also am tired of Dani Shay. Personally, I don't think she should be there because she messed up her audition in Las Vegas. She shouldn't have gotten a second chance. I know that is calloused, but there were other acts in Las Vegas who were strong and if they had messed up, they'd been ousted. There were also good acts who were eliminated over her getting a chance.

I sadly think that Dani will be in the semis one way or another though.

Most of the other acts were forgettable or not deserving of making the semis. I can see why Piers is upset, and have a feeling that unless one of the four I mentioned don't make the semis, we may not see any of these acts get a wild card chance.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Geechy Guy - I don't know why, but I like him. He's the last comic left and I think he's funny. He got buzzed by Piers, who also gave negative comments, but still. Will he go through? Well, probably not, but I want to see more.
    You said he is the last comic left, and I assume you don't mean just for last night. Melissa Villasenor is a comedian/impressionist, and I'm eagerly waiting for her chance to shine in the next 2 weeks. You may have forgotten her because she was one of the few who got put straight through to Hollywood without having to audition again in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    You said he is the last comic left, and I assume you don't mean just for last night. Melissa Villasenor is a comedian/impressionist, and I'm eagerly waiting for her chance to shine in the next 2 weeks. You may have forgotten her because she was one of the few who got put straight through to Hollywood without having to audition again in Vegas.
    Oh, you're right, I did forget about her while I was making the post. At the same time though I personally think comedians like Geechy and impressionists like Melissa are in a slightly different category.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

DVR'd this last night and just watching it now. Did anyone else pick up on Howie's slam against Piers? ("You said exactly what I was going to say, Piers. You must have hacked me!") Given that Piers was the former editor of a British tabloid (NOT affiliated with Rupert Murdoch), I just thought it wasn't funny. Personal taste, maybe, but I didn't find it an appropriate comment, and I don't think Piers did either.

Well, the second results show is over. Let's find out who made it.

This is how they were called up and who went on from each group.

The Rhinestone Ropers / Thomas John / Silhouettes

Advancing act is...

Silhouettes

Steven Retchless / Attack Dance Crew / Geechy Guy

Advancing act is...

Steven Retchless

Daniel Joseph Baker / Dani Shay / Dylan Andre

Advancing act is...

Daniel Joseph Baker

Smage Brothers / Mona Lisa / Landon Swank

Two will face judges' vote, one will go home first. Act going home is...

Mona Lisa

The judges now vote between Smage Brothers and Landon Swank.

Sharon votes first, and it is for...

Smage Brothers

Piers votes second, and it is for...

Landon Swank

It all comes down to Howie. The fourth act moving on, thanks to Howie, is...

Smage Brothers

I am happy with most of the results tonight. My thoughts on them and their moving on.

Silhouettes - Out of the three, totally obvious. If I am being completely honest about their performance, which I wasn't last night... I did not like it. I saw it and the theme they chose as a huge pull for votes in their direction. I am not saying the feelings aren't genuine, but I mean, it is a million dollar competition, afterall. My thoughts. I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Steven Retchless - A bit surprising, but in a pleasant way. Out of the three I actually had no clue who it would be, but I was pulling for Geechy.

Daniel Joseph Baker - Thank goodness. Because of the thoughts I gave yesterday, I can't cheer for Dani, and Dylan was just, not as exciting. So for me it had to be Daniel.

Smage Brothers - I honestly thought they were going to be in the three automatic advancements. With the vote coming down to Howie at the end I thought, are they really not even gonna make it through? I thought Landon's trick was great, but for me, it had to be Smage.

I just want to chime in concerning the Silhouettes last night. I thought they brought in the pictures to cover up their lack of getting their positions into a discernable silhouette on several poses. It's the silhouettes that are suppose to be the finished impression not a picture covering them up. I hope they can get it back together next week.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

TRACEs was fantastic ! ! ! ....wow, now that's talent. Maybe Stephen Retchless could adapt some of those pole moves into his act.
    J.D. likes this.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread