+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: America's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Yesterday's episode wasn't too special either. Anna was good, the swallowing guy was grossly interesting (as I've never seen anyone do what he did there at the end), but that's about all I cared about. I guess I'm not giving enough credit to the dancers but their song choice was pretty terrible. Not saying that cause I hate Justin Bieber but it just wasn't right for that act.
    Just saw this episode. The only one I really like of anyone so far is Anna.

I thought the dancers were pretty bad... they looked to me like a bunch of guys doing a dance workout. :s

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

SPOILER WARNING BELOW (tonight's episode recap/thoughts)

Great three hours tonight.

The final auditions took place, and the two-hour Vegas Week episode 1 also aired, and we've seen a lot go through to the Top 40 and a lot go home.

Was surprised with some of the decisions. Some I definitely did not agree with. But then again that happens every season. The act I was probably most disappointed with going through was either Professor Splash or the 50-year-old danger act guy, whose name I can't remember at all.

Surprised to see Ryan Andreas go home. Glad to see my favorite remaining singer in the competition (Landau) advance, but sad to see his new friend Cindy Chang leave so early on.

The family motorbike act made it through as well, another decision I really don't like. And it probably means the end for the other similar act. You know, the main reason for my dislike of these danger acts making it to the LIVE shows is because it's LIVE, and anything can happen. Five seasons in and nothing happened so far, but now, who knows...

The swallowing guy, the gnomes, and the Cowboy shooting and knife-throwing guy made it as well, and were also decisions I wasn't too impressed with.

But above all that, good acts did make it through. Landau, the 18-year-old dancer, Poplyfe (who were way better this time around), Dani (Justin Bieber, despite being given another chance, which I saw as a bit unfair), and others. My favorite animal act from the auditions made it through, which was surprising (pleasantly), as I thought Echo messed up in his second performance. Oh, and of course, my favorite act this whole season, Illuminate, made it as well.

Lys Agnes made it as one of the automatic advancements in the beginning of the eipsode, and I thought that was good. Melissa Villesenor was part of that group.

Most of the magicians were sent home but the one I liked the most went through, so that's good.

Not being mean here, just the thoughts of a fan, but I liked some of the decisions on who to eliminate. The boy band and the guy who sang "Hallelujah" in his audition just weren't good for me. So them leaving was no upset.

Most of the comedians seemed to leave. Geechy Guy (my favorite comedian) made it through, as well as some comedic singer who I don't think is funny at all. In fact the funniest thing he's said or done in the whole thing so far was his comment backstage as he watched the woman in the yellow perform. In other words, the funniest thing he's done was not part of either of his acts.

The kinetic king made it, another interesting choice. Don't really disagree, but I didn't think he'd make it.

The male pole-dancer made it while the female did not. Liked the fact the guy made it but felt bad for the girl.

We've seen a few dance groups. Some of them went home, some moved on.

Well, I think that's about all we saw tonight. Tomorrow we see the rest of the contestants perform and learn the whole Top 40.

I was hoping we'd get it over with tonight, but we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see Horrinid the Horrible's fate. Based on the clip of him at the beginning of the episode (which showed us what we were going to see in Las Vegas week), he seemed to be up to his old antics of throwing a tantrum after being told "No". That's my guess, anyway. Can't think of a different reason to see him react that way. I mean, it definitely didn't seem like a happy reaction. But who knows.

Would like to see other people's thoughts.

We watched all three hours, too. I thought the woman with the guitar who wasn't Danni did a much better job, and I agree with you...I was surprised they gave her a second chance. (I also thought she blew it...she only sang the chorus! Or maybe that's all they showed us.)

I wished the motorcycle act hadn't gone through, but I was glad to see that Illuminate was one who went straight to Hollywood.

I didn't think the woman pole dancer was going to go through as soon as she said she was doing it so her parents would truly support her.

I felt bad for the people going home, but to some of them...really? What part of "competition" were you having trouble with? They had over 100 acts that they were cutting to 48.

Anyone know how many make it through to the quarterfinals?

Anyone know how many make it through to the quarterfinals?
    I think 40. They had 48 in Season 4 because they brought back two wildcards for each of the four quarter-finals.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

There are also the youtube acts to perform yet, right? So, probably more will get cut before the 40.

I had forgotten about a few of the acts I had seen earlier in this season, and last night's show was a timely refresher.

There still aren't a lot of of acts I really care about much, though I do like the stand up comic (non-singer- Geetchy Guy?) and the Kinetic King. (He's such an odd looking mix of Robin Williams and a tiny bit Toby Maguire. All nerd and not only accepts it but plays it up. I enjoy him.

I also find Danni to be one of the most likeable people in the competition. She has a strange Hilary Swank vibe... that's a good thing. Allowing her to sing again was the judges' decision and most probably unfair, but not her fault. It was weird when Howie asked, "is this unfair?" Well, yeah. But you can't question yourself about it now.

I missed the first half hour, so I missed a little of who went through. I will check the website this week, since it's not up now.

Oh I forgot about the Youtube acts.

And I went back and saw how they did it last season (which is the only one I didn't see completely yet), and yes, they did have a Top 48, not including the Youtube acts. I made my assumption of 40 based on Season 3 and 4 instead of last season, so my apologies.

No apologies necessary! I had completely forgotten how it works, except that they work youtube acts in there somehow.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Three hours? Yikes. I thought I tuned in 20 minutes late!

Well, during the time I watched, my husband, who isn't even really watching, kept peeking in and telling me to be sure to tell him when Melissa Villasenor was up. Last year was the first time I'd seen the show at all, and I didn't see all the shows. So I didn't really know how it worked. Melissa is the female comedian who does impersonations and was on at the beginning of the 2nd audition show. My husband rewatched her routine countless times. Anyway, I never did see her during the time I watched last night, and she wasn't on the previews for tonight. A little internet searching showed me that she was one of few acts who got to go straight to Hollywood without trying out again in Vegas.

Other acts who went straight through (some already have been mentioned):
    Silhouettes (is that the group who danced behind a curtain so you only saw their shadows?)
    Lys Agnes (striking opera singer, African-American with blonde dredlocks)
    Professor Splash (high diver)
    The Rhinestone Ropers
    The Fearless Flores Family (kids rode motorcycles in cage)
    The Captain & Maybelle (Really? Had to look them up - he swallowed a hanger and did other cringe-worthy things)
    Team iLuminate
    Miami All-Stars (Latin dance troup)
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 07-06-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Yep you're right ^

And I just finished watching the second Las Vegas episode, and I have four things to quickly say. So,

SPOILER WARNING BELOW (thoughts about tonight's episode)

1. Oops. I confused the "Hallelujah" guy with someone else from yesterday. Oh well. And he made it. So double oops.

2. Yay! Horrinid the Horrible is GONE! Again! And what does he do? A "F*** you" at the judges and an "Again!" scream. I don't know what's worse, that or the "Go to hell" at David Hasselhoff after he didn't vote Horrinid through the Season 2 auditions. Whatever. But I am still worried, though. Because if there is a Wildcard show this year he might come back. Though I hope he doesn't. Others that got cut today and yesterday are way more worthy than he'll ever be.

3. Does anyone remember Rachel Zamstein (the blonde guitar girl) from the auditions? I don't think we saw her at all this week at the Callbacks. She wasn't the one they had yesterday, was she? I don't think so. And if they showed all 48 of the quarter-finalists making it, then it's safe to assume she didn't make it.

4. Unlike yesterday, I actually liked almost all of the decisions made tonight by the judges. The other motorbike act (who I think is better than the Flores Family) is through, Daniel Joseph Baker (who, to be honest, I thought tried too hard in his audition, but was better for me today) is through, Anna Graceman is through, the Russian bar trio people went through (which I really thought was good, after what happened to the other act of that kind back in Season 3) among other good ones. Sam B, the Costa Rican guy and maybe a couple others I can't think of at the moment making it were surprises, but ones I can live with. I'm looking forward to the live shows and a lot of acts that made it. This year may have the best winner yet! Or the second best. In my humble opinion, hardly anyone can ever top the amazing Terry Fator.

I'm glad to see the Russian bar made it. I loved their routine, but hope that they are safe each night of their performance.

And in regard to "2. Yay! Horrinid the Horrible is GONE! Again! And what does he do? A "F*** you" at the judges and an "Again!" scream. I don't know what's worse, that or the "Go to hell" at David Hasselhoff after he didn't vote Horrinid through the Season 2 auditions. Whatever. But I am still worried, though. Because if there is a Wildcard show this year he might come back. Though I hope he doesn't. Others that got cut today and yesterday are way more worthy than he'll ever be."

I would doubt they'd allow him to return. Not only was he unfunny, he's untalented, crass and flat out ugly. There are as you say much more talented, and hell, gracious eliminated contestants - some talented and yes some not - more deserving of a wildcard spot. Some examples are the opera singers eliminated last night (Tuesday, I didn't get to see yesterday's sadly), a couple of the magicians, and heck even the other pole dancer who was eliminated.

Personally, I would hope the only reason he made it through to Las Vegas would be to hopefully pacify him enough that he'd be gracious in losing and then stop auditioning. The F-bomb hopefully will totally eliminate him from returning again.

I'm looking forward to this season; however, I am hoping that we get another Terry Fator than a singer winning. This is a very fun show, but it does get tiring that people see talent as singing for the most part. Last season was an exception IMHO in regard to Prince Poppycock and even Jackie, who are immensely talented singers, but even then they lost to an IMHO subpar singer that can be seen as a dime a dozen. It says a lot that Jackie is at platinum faster than the winner was (If he's at that). Prince Poppycock simply put was a Las Vegas show.

Please note, I am NOT against singers, I love them and think many are immensely talented. I also love the Frank Sinatra type singer here this season.

That said, there are several singing shows on TV now that we choose winners from time and time again. I would just love to see a variety of acts winning - America has more talent than just singers, but we haven't really shown it. IN fact, Fator's win was highly criticized for the fact he wasn't a singer from what I remember - yet I think he's the only winner who has had long term success.

+ Reply to Thread