+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: America's Got Talent

That guy was a freak! At one point, the judging panel consisted of the Hoff, Piers, and singer Brandy, but I think Sharon joined the group in season 2. I've seen that remark made, but I don't mind. I'm glad Piers isn't trying to intentionally be a Mr. Nasty and rip of Simon but is honest and buzzes the acts that usually deserve it right away. I was thinking about that comic, and wondered if he went out there with the act that he'd get the audience booing and then rip on them. Hopefully he's got more up his sleeve than that.

I'm not overly looking forward to Gabourey's mom this week. She sounded good in the preview clip, but I'm not going to enjoy a season where she gets fawned over because her daughter is a recent Oscar nom.

Gabourey's mom has talent-a lot of it. As long as their isn't overkill on the hype I'll enjoy her, though I'm sure they'll want her around for publicity purposes. If she doesn't win I can't believe she won't get signed or achieve fame somehow. She's already won, and I can't imagine her getting cut in Vegas.

Other NY auditions I enjoyed tonight-I liked little Nina, and though I think her voice needs a little work, she sang a really good song very well, and managed to somewhat dance while doing it. She has talent, and given some of the acts they do let through, I would have for that reason alone. I liked the pre-teen ballroom couple, though the younger acts don't exactly scream Vegas, and I think they'll probably fall by the wayside at some point. Maybe we'll see them as pros on DWTS or another dance show in a few years. Also liked the 80s dance group (can't remember their name). They were different, and I liked the comment from Howie about feeling his mullet grow back The magician was good, kind of a nice contrast to the one who breathes fire. Hopefully he's got some better tricks up his sleeves. The last act was a joke. I know that was his point, but I wouldn't have let him through. Call yourself a comedian if that's your game. He wasn't funny, imo.

I'm surprised the little girl didn't go through, but I'm very happy that she didn't. Sure she's good--but she wasn't anything special, and she came in with an ENORMOUS ego. She came in waving like she was some beauty pageant queen screaming "Hello, New York!!" as if she were already a star And then at the end she was soaking it all in as if she already had won Come on, she needed an ego-check at this age, so she doesn't grow up to be someone expecting that they're the best and deserve the best. I bet this was the first time she's received that much critisizm and it was well-deserved I thought. She wasn't that good. But neither was the old red-headed lady, and she went through as well. I guess because she was more unique?

FORT Fogey

I missed last night's show. I loved the yo-yo guy. I agree that Nina was cute but needed a little ego check (tough love that wil help her be stronger in later years).

Gabere's mom and the sad-sack illutionist were by far and away my favorites.

When I saw the yo-yo guy I had flashbacks to a Simpsons episode where they had a group of yo-yo performers come in and demonstrate. I think he was good, because I could never work a yo-yo to even come back up to me, but I wonder if he's going to be limited in what he can do. Did the guy who balanced the basketball get through? I've seen worse than Nina get through, including the red haired lady at the beginning who probably is what Sharon would look like without Botox and a beehive. There was a little girl last year, she had Shirley Temple curls, didn't like her but she was worse. I think Nina expected to get through. I semi feel like Howie wanted to say no but didn't want it to be all across the board.

Not many stand outs so far. Gabourey's mom and the MS choir are the front runners. I'm holding off proclaiming any of the dance or magic groups as being front runners until I see more.

I'm really lovin' this season of America's Got Talent. I think getting rid of Hoff was a good move for the show. I wasn't sure how much I'd like having Howie as a judge until I tuned in. He's pretty cool, so far..I'm definately not his biggest fan, but at least he doesn't automatically put girls through to Vegas simply because their sexy or wearing practically nothing, like Hoff used to.

As for Sharon Osborne, I'm a huge fan of hers. I love her no-nonsense approach and appreciate the fact that she has a lot of music experience and can fairly and objectively judge the music talents on the show.

Also, I think in this season the most wonderful addition of all is the host...Nick Cannon! OMG! He's a riot. I almost have more fun watching his antic's behind the curtian than anything else. He totally cracks me up!

NVKitty

Does anyone know how many more weeks of auditions we have to go? That's my one complaint about this show, it seems like it takes forever to get to the actual competition phase where the audience votes.

I didn't care for Nick Cannon at all last season, but I've really warmed up to him now. He's becoming the best part of every episode. There haven't been too many acts that have completely wowed me, but some good and diverse ones are getting through. Whether they can keep being original and not lose steam when they get to Vegas is another story. And I never put much faith in the younger kid acts getting through. But I liked two of the dance acts who made it, along with the dance/gymnast group. Liked the Haiti band; different sound and an emotional backstory that we'll probably hear more about. I'm indifferent on the air guitar band. At the end they won me over, as I think they're entertaining, but they remind me a little of that trio of guys who called themselves the hillbilly tenors (or something like that). Good for entertainment, but they get less and less fun and hip every time you see them.

While the singer Spongetta (sp?) needs a crash course in song writing, her voice really wasn't that bad. I wish they had her sing something else. Of someone else's material, that is. The magician who pulled the string from his stomach was gross, but thank god he didn't pull it from somewhere else. I liked the BMX bike rider. I felt sorry for the Russian opera singer. And I got a kick out of the dog act when the dogs ran all over the set. And the knife thrower had a nice twist on his act. Should be interesting once everyone's narrowed down and how they handle the pressure.

FORT Fogey

Yep. I like Nick Cannon too. I always have (on the show, anyway) but he's really good with the guests which I like a lot.

Portland is one of my all time favorite cities, but man. The talent was rough. However, it was worth sitting through to get to the boy with the indoor kite and the military magician.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3948164;
    Yep. I like Nick Cannon too. I always have (on the show, anyway) but he's really good with the guests which I like a lot.

Portland is one of my all time favorite cities, but man. The talent was rough. However, it was worth sitting through to get to the boy with the indoor kite and the military magician.
    I have to agree with you about the boy with the kite. I must have re-watched it 10 times already! No comment on Nick however....lol.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by weizer2;3949004;
    I have to agree with you about the boy with the kite. I must have re-watched it 10 times already! No comment on Nick however....lol.
    Me too...about the boy, I mean. Makes me tear up everytime.

+ Reply to Thread