+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

FORT Fogey

Re: America's Got Talent

Well, he isn't a powerhouse, but I REALLY do love Michael Grimm.

Right now, I think the top three of four should be Poppycock, Studio One Young B and Defying Gravity.

The top four I'd probably include the bicyclist or the magician, but I think it'll be Jackie.

In all honesty, I do not see any of the singers save Poppycock and Jackie making it. They all were off IMHO and the CF duo proved to me my opinion that Alice Tan Ridley was robbed last week because of her being in that semifinals. (For the person wondering, she is also known as the mother of the young lady who played Precious in the movie of the same name, but has a gorgeous voice).

Personally, as I've mentioned before, I'm hoping no one votes in a child act into the finals, not because they're not good (Anya and Patrick's quickstep was very very good - better than several pros IMHO).

But I have little doubt hearing Jackie singing now she'll make it, even though for the sake of her voice long term I wish she'd not make it. Her voice if used this frequently like this can give her polyps on her vocal cords, and if they're not removed properly, she can lose her singing voice.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I really can't see the CF sisters making it, unless it comes down to the judges picking them, because I doubt they'd give them the boot. They might do a 'surprise' by putting them and whoever they're up against in the finals. My favorites of the night were Poppycock, Michael Grimm, Gravity, Anna/Patrick, Michael Grasso, and to a lesser extent the bike kid. Poppycock gave what I thought was a weaker performance in comparision to previous weeks, so while I'm worried about him, I'm somewhat confident he'll get through. To be on the safe side, he got all my votes tonight.

I agree that it's a crock Alice didn't make it. I think there's a chance Taylor will make it for the tween vote. Jackie's a lock if the judges pimping has its way. Personally, while she's talented, I think she's starting to believe the hype. I wouldn't mind her getting booted tomorrow. Poppycock's probably a good bet, and it's up in the air for the last one, but I'm thinking Gravity or Michael Grimm will get the last slot. It was a competitive night, so it's really a tough call.

I'm thinking the 4 will be:

Poppycock (he is a fan favorite)
    Fighting Gravity (they have Vegas written all over them)
    Jackie (she's had the pimp spot 2 weeks running and the judges love her)

The 4th spot is a hard call, but I'd say it's between:

Jeremy (the bike tricks are heartstopping. I think the fall last week actually helped him get more noticed)
    Micheal Grasso (polished and likeable)
    Micheal Grimm (good voice but might be overshadowed by the bigger acts)

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4056493;
    Poppycock gave what I thought was a weaker performance in comparision to previous weeks, so while I'm worried about him, I'm somewhat confident he'll get through. To be on the safe side, he got all my votes tonight.
    I agree it wasn't his best, but his charisma and past work should give him enough of an edge to get through. Even if he doesn't, I agree with Howie - he's probably got a show lined up after this regardless.
    I agree that it's a crock Alice didn't make it. I think there's a chance Taylor will make it for the tween vote. Jackie's a lock if the judges pimping has its way. Personally, while she's talented, I think she's starting to believe the hype. I wouldn't mind her getting booted tomorrow.
    That would be quite interesting, but after the Charlotte Church following a few years ago, I'm doubtful sadly. I think there's another act that's truly Vegas that should make it instead. The ones I'm hoping based on Vegas quality, talent, charm and ability to think creatively - not to mention bring something new and take risks - are Poppycock, Gravity, the bicyclist and Studio One B Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;4056497;
    I'm thinking the 4 will be:

Poppycock (he is a fan favorite)
    Fighting Gravity (they have Vegas written all over them)
    Jackie (she's had the pimp spot 2 weeks running and the judges love her)

The 4th spot is a hard call, but I'd say it's between:

Jeremy (the bike tricks are heartstopping. I think the fall last week actually helped him get more noticed)
    Micheal Grasso (polished and likeable)
    Micheal Grimm (good voice but might be overshadowed by the bigger acts)
    Have to agree with your synopsis here. The variety acts are really great this year, and I for one am hoping that one of those acts wins. The track record from this show is not outstanding...I believe that the only person still performing is Terry Fator (variety act) from the first season. The others (singers) who have won are seldom heard from. Personally I think the singing needs to be left for the Idol stage and the dancing for DWTS or ABDC....

I am hoping for a Poppycock win!

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4056704;
    Have to agree with your synopsis here. The variety acts are really great this year, and I for one am hoping that one of those acts wins. The track record from this show is not outstanding...I believe that the only person still performing is Terry Fator (variety act) from the first season. The others (singers) who have won are seldom heard from. Personally I think the singing needs to be left for the Idol stage and the dancing for DWTS or ABDC....

I am hoping for a Poppycock win!
    I think Fator was the second winner, the first one was a young singer, but I don't think the prize was a show in Vegas as well. But yes... he's still performing, so that shows the depth of his talent (especially when I remember many HATING he won over a singer).

I also agree with you on leaving singers and dancers for other shows. They are terrific mind you; however, dancing like Ana and Patrick is more for ballroom competitions. I don't mind Studio One Young B Society much because their dance style is different.

On singers - I know people will say "What about Poppycock" as he's a singer.

That's true; however, he's shown to me he could hold a show on his own. When he responds to the judge's comments, he exudes charm and some cases (i.e. when he had the sore throat in the audition process) humility when he said he wasn't his best but hoped they'd look beyond that.

The banter he shows now between the judges makes me go "Between his songs he can do a Q&A or other sketches that interact with the audience" - a la Carol Burnett's opening monologue and such. And you can mix in other talent to allow him time to change costumes.

He's more than a singer, and that's why I like him.

Then again, looking at the top 10, the only two that really scream Vegas show - as in a 20-min. set that isn't just one thing - are Defying Gravity and Poppycock.

Gravity's pull for me is that they leave me wanting more as well. The bit last night I felt was too short, but it was relatively nice and I think can be expanded upon. The only other issue I thought was that the blacklights weren't working as well as they could, but I do not have HDtv so I do not know if this is just my viewership here.

Jackie Evancho, overated my foot; that was just a beautiful performance. I also was thrilled by the YBS dancers, Michael Grasso and The youngest girl on Christina and Ali, I believe it's Christina. Jeremy is thrilling and scares the you know what out of me. I could see that fall really did effect the ballroom performance. That had to hurt a lot and she showed some awesome guts.

I wouldn't mind a bit if Poppycock went home he just annoys me to no end and in no way entertains me.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4056728;
    I think Fator was the second winner, the first one was a young singer, but I don't think the prize was a show in Vegas as well. But yes... he's still performing, so that shows the depth of his talent (especially when I remember many HATING he won over a singer).

I also agree with you on leaving singers and dancers for other shows. They are terrific mind you; however, dancing like Ana and Patrick is more for ballroom competitions. I don't mind Studio One Young B Society much because their dance style is different.

On singers - I know people will say "What about Poppycock" as he's a singer.

That's true; however, he's shown to me he could hold a show on his own. When he responds to the judge's comments, he exudes charm and some cases (i.e. when he had the sore throat in the audition process) humility when he said he wasn't his best but hoped they'd look beyond that.

The banter he shows now between the judges makes me go "Between his songs he can do a Q&A or other sketches that interact with the audience" - a la Carol Burnett's opening monologue and such. And you can mix in other talent to allow him time to change costumes.

He's more than a singer, and that's why I like him.

Then again, looking at the top 10, the only two that really scream Vegas show - as in a 20-min. set that isn't just one thing - are Defying Gravity and Poppycock.

Gravity's pull for me is that they leave me wanting more as well. The bit last night I felt was too short, but it was relatively nice and I think can be expanded upon. The only other issue I thought was that the blacklights weren't working as well as they could, but I do not have HDtv so I do not know if this is just my viewership here.
    What is the Vegas appeal with Poppycock for me is that he has a whole act behind his talent. It's not just getting up onstage and being cute like the kids have the advantage of, he's got it all. I think the same can be said for Gravity, they have an act and have shown it's not the same every week. Those two make me anxious to see what they're going to do next and never leave me disappointed. It's a teaser to what will probably be bigger things to come. I don't mind the singing and dancing acts, I just don't like that they put so many of them through, and that this season they really put through a lot of filler acts that were obviously going to get booted the first time. Then the Youtube and Wildcard show-I hope they don't bring those back next season. I enjoy Anna/Patrick but really think they need an age limit on this show. If kids are good at this young age, they'll be all the more better when they get older. Comparing them to some older singing/dancing acts shows maturity that some of these kids haven't yet reached, and that they pale in comparision even if they're talented.

Howie's comment last night about Poppycock getting picked up no matter what makes me think the writing's on the wall and the show will get their Susan Boyle moment and have little Jackie win. 3 singers winning and doing nothing but a variety act being the biggest thing to come out of this show should so them what's going to be successful. We'll see who we're still hearing about this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4056863;
    I enjoy Anna/Patrick but really think they need an age limit on this show. If kids are good at this young age, they'll be all the more better when they get older.
    I disagree since the 2 most mind blowing performers ever on the show for me was in the 1st season with 11 year old Bianca Ryan and this season with 10 year old Jackie Evancho. If you have the talent there shouldn't be an age limit when you can get your big break and be rewarded for that talent.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

+ Reply to Thread