+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: America's Got Talent

Barring a freak of nature that results in a horrible performance, I can't see Alice or Jackie being shut out. I think Fighting Gravity (my picks behind Poppycock), and Michael and Ashleigh stand a good chance of making it through (if the judges don't chew them out and they give a performance like they did in a wildcard round). We've got enough singers, counting the two I mentioned above. I don't get the appeal of HasPop. Studio One Beast Society might make it. Murray is pitiful and hope he gets cut. I'm sure one remaining magician will get through to the finals.

So my picks would be Fighting Gravity, Alice, and Michael/Ashleigh. I think the first two and Jackie will make it, a magician for variety. Not sure on the rest.

And I don't like Debra, either. Or Nathianel Kenyon, but maybe he'll have the tweens voting for him. I'm on the other side of the fence with a lot of acts that are fan favorites (or not) this season.

FORT Fogey

I haven't closely followed the show this season because it was just dragging on too long for me in the beginning with all the audition episodes, plus I thought the choice of a winner last season was way off. Not only is he not a Vegas act, but also not a great singer by any means. He was voted the winner more because of his humble demeanor and the chicken-catcher story than his talent. Sorry, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I've heard much better in small local clubs. I think this show needs to re-evaluate its purpose and direction, and then stick to it. If the outcome is supposed to be choosing the best possible Vegas act, then eliminate one of the current judges (I vote for Howie Mandel to leave) and replace him with an expert who books Vegas acts, even though he/she would not be a celebrity. If the outcome is to pick the act with the most appealing and heart-tugging back story, then I guess they can keep doing what they're doing. The only time they got it right was with Terry Fador (sp?).

Just a few pointers tonight from what I've seen:

1. I feel that the young opera singer is a bit overrated. She is good for a 10-year-old; however, compared to say Prince Poppycock, her voice is not nearly as strong. Even when Poppycock was sick in the Vegas auditions, he sounded better IMHO.

That said, I see her advancing due to this talent at such a young age.

2. I love Defying Gravity - this is the first time I've been able to see them. I'm voting to make sure they get in because we don't need four singers and one variety.

3. As much as I loved Harmonica Pierre (and hope someone will let him record a CD - I just loved his take on the music), I can see why they chose the aerialists. They were very good.

4. The stunt bicyclist - IF... and I stress this, there is a case to vote on sympathy along with talent, he's the case. I would've freaked out to even attempt that stunt after a fall like that. While I was a bit disappointed that he fell in the one stunt - as I think Piers said, he kept going. To me, that's a true artist in his own right - he keeps going even against odds.

5. The magicians - honestly, I liked both and won't be disappointed with either advancing. I'd just like ONE to advance so we don't have all singers.

6. Alice Tan Ridley - wonderful as always, but I do think such a strong overall semis, she is going to have a hard chance this week. I wish she had been in the group last week and the duo with CF in this one because I have a weird feeling she may be eliminated and think she's much better.

7. The pianist - he's got a challenge, but "Flight of the Bumblebee" is considered by far the hardest piece to play as it is because of the notes, but to mix it up with swing/jazz shows a great talent. I'm not sure he'll make it, but someone will possibly have him do a CD or something.

The rest of the acts? - not sure of and neither here nor there. I will say though that the young woman who ran away from home I think this will be her last go as well as the other nervous singer.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Why, oh why, did they have to have such a stacked semi tonight compared to such a weak semi last time? It's such a shame that some of the good acts this evening will be cut, and we'll have some weaker acts from last week (read: the sisters, even the "shaking like a dog" kid... whom I adore... but doesn't stack up against the talent from tonight.

Of the two magicians, I hope Michael Grasso makes it through. I adored him from the beginning, and had written him off. I didn't watch the wild-card show and when I looked at this semi list, his name didn't even register with me! I was so happy to see America has the brains to see true talent, even when the judges get it wrong.

I really enjoyed Defying Gravity tonight! Though I haven't been a huge fan to this point, I think they pushed beyond what they've done so far.

Alice Tan Ridley... the only act to give me shivers. What a shame if she were cut... vote, vote!

Jackie is pretty amazing.

My final choice would be Maestro Bui. He's incredible.

That there is five... but I also loved VanSchoonhoven and Studio One Young Beast Society. Someone good is going to get cut. Ugh!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I find opera girl overrated as well. Maybe her career isn't as big and established as I thought, but I still think there are better acts to win over her. Poppycock has it all, including talent, and that's why I'm hoping to see him take it in the end. Opera isn't my style of music, and I found the opera singer last year overrated as well. They act like little Jackie is the second coming of the genre. Defying Gravity are tied at my #1 spot to win it all. They, too, have the makings of a Vegas act. Maybe it's just been the mediocre weeks of talent since we last saw them, but they were amazing tonight. I gave them my votes. I can't believe Alice will go. I thought she was right up there tonight. Not everyone can sing a song like that just as good as the original, and she killed it. The magicians bored me, especially Murray, who comes across that he's better than he really is. I'd rather see Grasso make it if I had to pick one.

The aerialists didn't disappoint, and should make it through. I hope we get some novelty acts in the finals and not all singers except for a couple. I'd say as good as last week, and that was something. I give credit to bike kid for trying something I'd never even think of attempting. But getting back up after falling, when you're being watched by a live audience and millions of people, and performing the rest of your act takes a lot of courage. That said, I don't really care for him. I don't get the appeal with HasPop, either.

Jackie will make it. I'm hoping for Alice, Gravity, and the aeralists. Think it's a tough call, though.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

The aerialists didn't really do it for me, though they are very talented. I suppose a big part of it was I don't like the song, (it feels overused since it was used for SYTYCD and was a hit there, though I didn't like it then either... ). Not only that, but all those clouds and white and feathery capes and things made me feel ill. It was just a big cheesy thing and I expected them to hawk some Philly cream cheese to keep up the act. Just my personal taste, I guess.

One of the best moments of the night was when Piers called Howie a cultural ignoramus for buzzing Bui. Howie was sincerely offended... lol. As far as I'm concerned he had it coming.

FORT Newbie

YAY to the ones who deserve to go through making it through so far!!!

I really wish some of the acts who went last night were on last week's show so that two of the non-deserving ones could have been shut out. Gah.

FORT Fan

West Coast here . . . . have they said who is going through yet?

FORT Newbie

SPOILERS!!!!

Those going through are:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Michael Grasso the Magician
    Fighting Gravity
    Jeremy V. the Bicyclist
    Jackie Evancho
    Studio 1 Young Beast Society

It's an absolute shame that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Alice T. Ridley
    did not make it through. Ridiculous especially since
    Click to see Spoiler:
    she's the best singer in the whole competition and two weak singers made it through last week.

I feel those who advanced this week all are deserving - yes even Jackie though I do feel she's too young for a Las Vegas act.

That said, I too am disappointed two acts didn't go into the finals - the one in the spoilers and one more in that judge's choice. Hearing who made it last week and two singers in particular - the CF girls and the really breathy boy - I cringe knowing they are in the finals whereas these two very talented performers in the judge's choice should be going to the finals in their place.

So... IMHO most of the finalists coming out from this week and Prince Poppycock I'd like to see win. I will be disappointed if the Jackie or Patrick/Ana advance only because I feel they're too young for Las Vegas (though I will say they are deserving of being in the finals).

I WILL be upset if the singers with CF win because I don't feel they should've advanced over better talent both this week and last week.

The others sadly are a bit forgettable, even though a couple of the singers in there are at least good at singing.

+ Reply to Thread