+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: America's Got Talent

I lost a good friend to complications of CF when she was 17. So I can relate to what those girls's families are going through, but at the same time, I don't think they measure up to the talent this season. I don't like when people use the 'I'm a single mom/dad who lived on the streets' story line for Idol, and this is no different. At some point, the judges need to realize it's a talent show, not a who has the worst sob story. It would have gotten old if the homeless veteran group made it (like they should have), and talked every week about their story. We get it. But talent wise, I don't think the girls have it. When they compete again against Poppycock, Michael, and adding Jackie and Alice, they are going to get left in the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4048938;
    FYI, either one can be fatal. It's a talent show; Let's not turn this into "My disease is better than yours". That aside, they've been off key from the beginning. THAT should be the focus of the show, not their disease.
    They have talent and they have a terrific back story which gets you votes on these types of shows. If it was just all about who has the best talent they shouldn't let the viewers vote. The disease is the focus because it's something they are not letting defeat their spirit.

I'm not stupid I know High Blood Pressure can be fatal, I have it. Most likely if you properly take care of it you won't die from it but right now you are guaranteed to die from CF way too soon no matter what you do.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4048907;
    There's a reason the "special" Olympics exist. There should be a talent show for "Special" people. There probably is somewhere in local venues.
    Woah. Dude.

For me, it's simple... the girls hurt my ears two nights ago, and Conner didn't. He should have got through just for that.

As for more singers making it through than variety acts, well, I'd rather watch and listen to a decent singer than suffer my way through a ridiculous variety act.
    Ascendance really didn't step it up. Restivo got chained up (not really), shut in a flimsey box, and then spent far too much time getting out of it. Sure he created a silly spectacle, but I didn't see a whole lot of talent there.
    As for ArcAttack, if you have the technology anyone can stand there and point a stick at a electricity thingy. If given the costumes and the props, ANYone could do what ArcAttack does.

I really think only four of the acts needed to go through. Those were the first four who made it. And even that doesn't matter. Because it's all about Poppycock and whoever he's going to be up against in the end. The rest are filler.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4048973;
    Woah. Dude.

For me, it's simple... the girls hurt my ears two nights ago, and Conner didn't. He should have got through just for that.

As for more singers making it through than variety acts, well, I'd rather watch and listen to a decent singer than suffer my way through a ridiculous variety act.
    Ascendance really didn't step it up. Restivo got chained up (not really), shut in a flimsey box, and then spent far too much time getting out of it. Sure he created a silly spectacle, but I didn't see a whole lot of talent there.
    As for ArcAttack, if you have the technology anyone can stand there and point a stick at a electricity thingy. If given the costumes and the props, ANYone could do what ArcAttack does.

I really think only four of the acts needed to go through. Those were the first four who made it. And even that doesn't matter. Because it's all about Poppycock and whoever he's going to be up against in the end. The rest are filler.
    I keep getting hijacked to some myspace website when I enter this thread.

What it comes down to me is what act makes me feel good after I watch them and the girls do that for me. I know I'm very much in the minority but Poppycock kind of makes me queasy, I think I would rather watch an hour of Sanjaya singing than Poppycock.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4048952;
    When they compete again against Poppycock, Michael, and adding Jackie and Alice, they are going to get left in the dust.
    And it will hurt all the more for needlessly getting their hopes up week after week.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4048973;
    I agree - I'm a juggler and would really like to see more variety in the talent shows I compete in, but even last year, when someone told me they thought I'd win in my category... I told them the truth, I felt the band would get it.

I was wrong of course, but I was SO happy the band got second, and felt it was really close.

I agree on Ascendance - had they stepped it up, I do think they'd advanced because it really is a beautiful and unique dance reminiscent of say Cirque's "Ka" which has some wall dancing.

Restivo's act - as I've mentioned - killed him pretty soundly for the reasons you mentioned above.

True, but not quite true. Other than the costs to do it on a large scale, there is an element of danger there that people don't quite understand.

I've been shocked pretty bad by a Van de Graff generator - in this case someone decided to put the sphere on a stick on the larger sphere I had my hand on. It really hurt, and I couldn't use my hand for about 5 minutes.

Mind you - this was a really weak generator too.

And - what I was seeing in their performance was interesting and not totally easy to execute - florescent bulbs can blow out during the performance, the girl could've had a bad static jolt (hence why I was worried when she kept the schtick up), and other minor issues). Add to it timing the shocks to the music is also not easy.

That said - I do think the reason you mentioned - that it looks easy to do, is why they were voted out.

Right now, Poppycock would win hands down in this five, and quite deservedly. While the singer before him would give him a challenge - Poppycock has more of the Vegas show that would make him the more worthy winner. I think he's gotten people to appreciate opera that think it's something only fat old men can sing.

Now... up against who I hope are in the finals from next week's, he's going to have a challenge against Alice (who is right now following in the unknown to stardom lights as her daughter - and will regardless I feel), the bicycle stunt guy (the act can easily go Vegas) and the airealists (who I think are lovely to watch and also can become Vegas in the line of something like Cirque).

It'll be an interesting finale for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;4049002;
    I keep getting hijacked to some myspace website when I enter this thread.

What it comes down to me is what act makes me feel good after I watch them and the girls do that for me. I know I'm very much in the minority but Poppycock kind of makes me queasy, I think I would rather watch an hour of Sanjaya singing than Poppycock.
    I totally respect where you're coming from and this is who you like and don't like.

My case, I am more of the opposite, but it may also be because I've seen Vegas shows and I don't see the young girls being a Vegas act because of their ages (same with Ana and Patrick for this reason) while I can Poppycock and a few others - some that were in this round of semis and a couple on the other side.

Mind you too - it really is hard for me to say I'm rooting for singers simply because I grow tired of people thinking the only talent is singing (present company on this board excluded ), but I am rooting right now for singers out of this five. Poppycock has that extra edge that is Vegas that makes me want him to win, but that can change with next week on whoever makes the finals.

But, opinions are like noses - we all have one, and they're all different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;4048670;
    How could they not win someone's heart after hearing what they are going through. They have a fatal lung disease and are on a show singing their hearts out. I'm like Sharon I'll give them a pass and applaud whatever they want to do in their short lives.

This isn't related to the girls but one thing that I hate, hate, hate about this show are the judges being allowed to buzz during the live performances. Let the acts finish and then tell them if you think they stunk. Sure buzz all you want during the auditions but during the live perfromances when it's up to the viewers to vote it shouldn't be allowed.
    I do feel bad for the girls, and I think they were/are being raised to be good, kind people.....but on the other hand when I watch show especially shows that display talent, my group calls me Simon from American Idol, I tell it like it is, I will be the first one to admit, I can't sing for crap, I can't dance I don't look like Miss Universe....but honesty is the best policy. BUT...I do not believe they should have gotten as far as they have. I think I would of liked them if they did not pull at the heart strings of the judges and voters, I just wished they came out the very first time sang and see what happened, betcha they would not of gotten through to Vegas. It's a shame to see other talented people go.

I agree on the buzzing, it's annoying at this point in the game. I wish they would just let the people perform and truly leave it up to the voters to decide to put them through or not.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I hate that the judges can buzz at this point. I feel like, that phase should be over, and it makes more sense to do during auditions. Now I hate when an act (no matter how horrible) gets barely halfway through and is shut down. Last week, during the wild card round, Howie buzzed Harmonica Pierre before he even performed. The judges can act childish, and no matter how they try to mimic Idol's judging panel, it's not about them.

As for the singing sisters-its why I wish there was an age limit on this show. I admire their story and spirit but it's also a talent competition, and while the talent is weak as anything this season for the most part, I don't think they should have made it as far as they have. A lot of people have sob stories but were cut or eliminated early on. If America votes, fine, but I hope the judges aren't filling them with false hope that leads them to be shocked when the time comes to exit the stage. Maybe they're hoping they can do it to them in a group, but I wasn't surprised the judges didn't want to come off looking like jerks eliminating them.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Getting back to the show...

Does anyone have hopes or predicts for the next semi?

I'm hoping:
    Jeremy VanSchoonhoven
    Alice Tan Ridley
    Maestro Alexander Bui

possibly Jackie and Haspop.

Who I definitely don't want unless they do something amazing:
    Nathaniel Kenyon
    Debra Romer (ducks, I know a lot of people like her) but I need more.

+ Reply to Thread