+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 654
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: America's Got Talent

  1. #191
    FORT Fogey Tigerusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,438

    Re: America's Got Talent

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamonia;4048486;
    Wow....did not see the show went to bed early since I am not feeling too well, but will catch it on tivo...I totally agree with your statement on those two girls, I have not liked them from day one, they used their story to win the judges heart. You can even tell when Sharon said something like "I am not going to say something negative"....but they have no problem being honest with the others....your a judge and your trying to pick a person or persons to win a million dollars and a show...be honest to the performers regardless of the health issues.

    I do adore Poppycock, awesome performance!!! But the other singers I am not digging. I do like Michael, he has a soulful voice.
    How could they not win someone's heart after hearing what they are going through. They have a fatal lung disease and are on a show singing their hearts out. I'm like Sharon I'll give them a pass and applaud whatever they want to do in their short lives.

    This isn't related to the girls but one thing that I hate, hate, hate about this show are the judges being allowed to buzz during the live performances. Let the acts finish and then tell them if you think they stunk. Sure buzz all you want during the auditions but during the live perfromances when it's up to the viewers to vote it shouldn't be allowed.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

  2. #192
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: America's Got Talent

    Tigerusty, I see your point in regard to letting them pass because the disease could kill them at a young age (Though admittedly medicines have improved a lot are living into adulthood).

    That said, I can't quite bypass the sob story a bit, because Connor is an epileptic from what I'm reading. Those can also kill you at a young age if you get a grand mal.

    What bugs me about the duo here advancing is that they are not talented. They were off key almost about as bad as the one gal who was totally buzzed out, and there were much more talented, and Vegas worthy acts that didn't advance in their place, such as ArcAttack and AscenDance.

    So, I guess why I'm bugged is that I don't think they should advance on a sob story, even if it's to make a wish come true. I didn't mind so much from prelims to semis, but when it's the finals I'd like as many worthy acts to make it to the finals, and in this case, this was a spot that was frittered away to a duo who really had one of the poorer performances of the evening.

    As far as the buzzing out - I agree to ONE point. If the act is as bad as the two YouTube winners were Tuesday, especially the singer's, then yes, I think they should be buzzed out. The exception is... all have to agree first so it's a unanimous buzz and it's stopped quickly instead of dragging on. Otherwise, they pull a "Let people perform then trash it" bit like they do on American Idol.

  3. #193
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    98

    Re: America's Got Talent

    So glad to see Restivo go. Maybe enough people found out that he already had his chance in Vegas and was putting on an even better show than his act itself as he tried to make the audience believe he had never performed in Vegas before.

    ArcAttack should have made it, but I really don't understand the choice of the two girls over the kite kid. At least the kite kid was different. Four of the five that made it through yesterday are singers (at least PP brings more to the table) and average or below-average singers at that. If any of those singers were AI contestants, Simon would have had a field day bashing them. Grimm is OK, but no different that someone I can see playing the local pub on Saturday night.

    Next week, I expect Alice, Nathaniel and Jackie to make it to the finals, and wouldn't be surprised if Debra makes it as well. Might as well call the show "America's Got Vocal Talent." So much for variety. Unfortunately, I expect acts like Hanspop and the magicians, which are much better suited for Vegas, to lose out to the less-talented vocalists.

    Nice seeing the percussion act last night and I am glad to hear they got a Vegas show deal. Anyone heard from the overrated and untalented chicken catcher lately?

  4. #194
    To the Point
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: America's Got Talent

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4048725;
    Tigerusty, I see your point in regard to letting them pass because the disease could kill them at a young age (Though admittedly medicines have improved a lot are living into adulthood).

    That said, I can't quite bypass the sob story a bit, because Connor is an epileptic from what I'm reading. Those can also kill you at a young age if you get a grand mal.

    What bugs me about the duo here advancing is that they are not talented. They were off key almost about as bad as the one gal who was totally buzzed out, and there were much more talented, and Vegas worthy acts that didn't advance in their place, such as ArcAttack and AscenDance.

    So, I guess why I'm bugged is that I don't think they should advance on a sob story, even if it's to make a wish come true. I didn't mind so much from prelims to semis, but when it's the finals I'd like as many worthy acts to make it to the finals, and in this case, this was a spot that was frittered away to a duo who really had one of the poorer performances of the evening.

    As far as the buzzing out - I agree to ONE point. If the act is as bad as the two YouTube winners were Tuesday, especially the singer's, then yes, I think they should be buzzed out. The exception is... all have to agree first so it's a unanimous buzz and it's stopped quickly instead of dragging on. Otherwise, they pull a "Let people perform then trash it" bit like they do on American Idol.


    The latest numbers for average life expectancy is 37.4 years, which is up greatly since 2000. In 2000, I believe that number was 32 years. Which means great strides have been and are being made. There still is no cure, but strides are being made to manage this disease more effectively. Today 45% of Americans with this disease are 18 or older.

  5. #195
    FORT Fogey fan*addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    3,896

    Re: America's Got Talent

    I think the concensus is that although we can sympathize and support the fact that these two girls are doing something "incredible" given their circumstances...it is still a TALENT show...and their talent is lacking, especially when they will compete against the other "singers"..I sense that most people are not happy with the types of acts going through as at this point SINGERS seem to be the majority. And as others have said we already have reality show for these people it is called American Idol...dancers can go on SYTYCD or ABDC...this avenue SHOULD be left for those acts that are of the "variety" nature...that being said..it is why MOST people feel that kite boy Conner should have gone through especially when the judges were left with the decision....instead of choosing with the shows best interest they let the "emotion" of the girls get the vote. And I agree that Conner also has an emotional story here.

  6. #196
    FORT Fogey Tigerusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,438

    Re: America's Got Talent

    Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict;4048875;
    I think the concensus is that although we can sympathize and support the fact that these two girls are doing something "incredible" given their circumstances...it is still a TALENT show...and their talent is lacking, especially when they will compete against the other "singers"..I sense that most people are not happy with the types of acts going through as at this point SINGERS seem to be the majority. And as others have said we already have reality show for these people it is called American Idol...dancers can go on SYTYCD or ABDC...this avenue SHOULD be left for those acts that are of the "variety" nature...that being said..it is why MOST people feel that kite boy Conner should have gone through especially when the judges were left with the decision....instead of choosing with the shows best interest they let the "emotion" of the girls get the vote. And I agree that Conner also has an emotional story here.
    The problem is that they are leaving the last spot up to the judges just to add drama and controversy when they should just have whoever finished higher in the voting go through. If the girls were fifth in the voting they should have went through or if Conner was fifth he should have went through.

    Just like American Idol they are making this show too much about the judges and not enough about the talent.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

  7. #197
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    189

    Re: America's Got Talent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;4048670;
    How could they not win someone's heart after hearing what they are going through. They have a fatal lung disease and are on a show singing their hearts out. I'm like Sharon I'll give them a pass and applaud whatever they want to do in their short lives.
    Don't mean to be rude but it's rediculous to let people through just because they have an illness only to give them false hope. These girls cannot sing on key. I can sing better than they, but not well enough for Vegas.

    Suppose I go on the show and say, I have high blood pressure and can drop dead at any moment (sorta true, but I'm on medication) Should I then be allowed to go through in front of really talented people? If so, can someone with cancer be far behind? I can see it now. Long lines of sick people waiting to audition and they let them all through out of pity. Great show that would be eh? .

    The singing vets (I think their name was (New Demension or something similar) were terrific. There was a dance group that were also a lot better than Christina and Ali.

    Ask yourself three questions. #1. What Vegas show that is in business to make money would be crazy enough to hire them? #2. If you're in Vegas with lots of money, which show would you spend your money to go see? #3. What would Simon say if these two were on American Idol? Would he say "You're terrific and we're putting you through" just because they have CF? He!! no!

    The judges had a difficult descision because the girls were up against Kite boy. IMHO, neither should have even been there given the other talented acts that got cut instead. But the judges were in a bad position and had to pick one. Maybe they'll wise up next season, change the procedure and not allow this sort of stupid thing to happen again. End of rant.
    Last edited by nabrudigam; 08-26-2010 at 07:14 PM.

  8. #198
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    189

    Re: America's Got Talent

    There's a reason the "special" Olympics exist. There should be a talent show for "Special" people. There probably is somewhere in local venues.

  9. #199
    FORT Fogey Tigerusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,438

    Re: America's Got Talent

    Quote Originally Posted by nabrudigam;4048892;
    Don't mean to be rude but it's rediculous to let people through just because they have an illness only to give them false hope. These girls cannot sing on key. I can sing better than they, but not well enough for Vegas.

    Suppose I go on the show and say, I have high blood pressure and can drop dead at any moment (sorta true, but I'm on medication) Should I then be allowed to go through in front of really talented people? If so, can someone with cancer be far behind? I can see it now. Long lines of sick people waiting to audition and they let them all through out of pity. Great show that would be eh? .

    The singing vets (I think their name was (New Demension or something similar) were terrific. There was a dance group that were also a lot better than Christina and Ali.

    Ask yourself three questions. #1. What Vegas show that is in business to make money would be crazy enough to hire them? #2. If you're in Vegas with lots of money, which show would you spend your money to go see? #3. What would Simon say if these two were on American Idol? Would he say "You're terrific and we're putting you through" just because they have CF? He!! no!

    The judges had a difficult descision because the girls were up against Kite boy. IMHO, neither should have even been there given the other talented acts that got cut instead. But the judges were in a bad position and had to pick one. Maybe they'll wise up next season, change the procedure and not allow this sort of stupid thing to happen again. End of rant.
    They got through because they got votes and it's not like they can't sing, they can. What makes them great is that they can sing when they are not supposed to be able to. I thought Christine sounded good, it was Ali (who was having a bad day) that was off key when she is usually the better singer of the two. High Blood Pressure in no way can be compared to Cystic Fibrosis.
    Last edited by Tigerusty; 08-26-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

  10. #200
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    189

    Re: America's Got Talent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;4048924;
    High Blood Pressure in no way can be compared to Cystic Fibrosis.
    FYI, either one can be fatal. It's a talent show; Let's not turn this into "My disease is better than yours". That aside, they've been off key from the beginning. THAT should be the focus of the show, not their disease.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.